SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 24, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,772 of 14,773

Just to let you know those cheapo Kingston are made by Toshiba, although I can tell you there are many fakes of these going around.

Even those cheap Kingston should give you reasonable quality.

No complaints though this one was made in "Taiwan" vs Japan

unlucky, most of the early Kingston were made in japan, same for Toshiba, now all Kingston are from Taiwan regardless of the speed and model, whiles majority top of the range Toshiba are from japan.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #1,774 of 14,773
PS: Read MANY pages of this thread....

He refers to a term as inner resolution, what is exactly that?, i understand new sonys are Hi-re capable e.g 24 up to 192KHz.

It is more than just MP3 versus higher resolution digitized audio files. Some music can be very complex, with multiple instruments and their own effects or what-have-you in how they are presented within the mix. Some equipment has better resolving power so that the more 'up front' ('solo' if your a mixing engineer) do not obscure the sounds that are below / layered within the music. Recently I've been using Dream Theater's Enigma Machine because there is so much going on within the mix and it was recorded in high resolution, so we're getting a near 1:1 of the digital 'master tape'. Hopefully if you read my review(s) on the NW-ZX2 I have helped to clarify what I;m referring to.

It actually sounds like he's begrudgingly admitting that the interface is still sluggish, but he's giving it a pass. Heck, he's even resorted to making excuses for Sony (it's probably Android's fault). And while the design may be more curved than the ZX1, the ass is still there. No ranting about it this time, for some reason.

and

I don't post this to serve as some sort of defense of the ZX1, or some bash of the ZX2. I thought the difference in tone between the two devices was just so radically different, yet there wasn't any real logic behind the difference. Ultimately, all I can come up with is that he liked the sound signature of the ZX2 over the ZX1 so much, he was willing to forgive and overlook every design, build and interface shortcoming.

Yes the arse is there, but seems a bit more acceptable on the new design. i'll take the big arse with looooong battery life over no booty. This is what kills me about the AK240 because the darn thing is on the charger cable so often :frowning2:  

As for the UI lag, yeah it is not as swift as I'd like and maybe if they ever update the OS to Android 5 we should see an improvement. It is not at all that laggy and I tried to be brutal to see if it would 'hiccup' (get confused by so many user inputs). I would not worry about laggy because I am VERY picky.

But let's beat this horse to death shall we? What I really meant, since we're belaboring the point here, is that when you use your finger to scroll, it is not INSTANT finger following. There is a tiny bit of delay. Google/Android has been working on decreasing this lag time from the moment you move your finger to when the OS UI responds to said instructions from the touch screen's detection. So yeah, you can blame Sony, but really it is an Android programming situation imho. Please use a NW-ZX2 and you'll see it is so minor for normal use that most won't even notice it. No one else here seems to be complaining about it here on Head-Fi. So again, I am VERY picky. Hey, I nearly totally panned the ZX-1, so yes I'm brutal and will say so within reviews :D

My 'audio reviewer job' (pays less than McD's per hour and I've flipped burgers at McD's) is to be brutally honest and be brutal on the equipment so you KNOW it is being taken to task. Bottom line, got tired of waiting for Sony's corporate red tape to get me a review sample, did what I could to ensure things for review.... and today I bought the Sony NW-ZX2 at their retail store here in Singapore (303 @ Somerset). The Noble K-10 customs and NW-ZX2 are an incredible match, and even with the JH Audio's I like the Sony more than the Astell&Kern AK120II (with AK240 at home, yeah yeah once again on the friggen charger!!!!!!!!!!!! So yet another follow-up review in the future).

Apologies for the loooong reply, just don't get here much and hope this helps. Will Bookmark thus URL and check back as I can. Thanks for your time if you read this far, it truly is appreciated. In the end listen to one for yourself that has MANY hours on it, bring a microSD card with your music and your IEMs/'phones, and decide for yourself. That's the only way to be sure.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,775 of 14,773

Just to let you know those cheapo Kingston are made by Toshiba, although I can tell you there are many fakes of these going around.

Even those cheap Kingston should give you reasonable quality.

What other brand is made by Toshiba ?

From what I have gathered, there are only 4-5 companies that manufacture micro SD, Toshiba, Sandisk, Samsung and Hynix, these are the major ones, and other companies rebadge them, but they tend to change companies depending on price and quality.
Brands like Transcend and Adata are long term rebadge of Sandisk,  Lexar has a mix of Sandisk and Hynix.

Sandisk tend to be the mostly used memory for OEM, whiles Samsung has only in these few years entered the memory card market, they are focused on PC rams and internal chip memory.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,776 of 14,773
^ You forgot Micron, they are a huge flash memory producer, and Lexar is owned by Micron, they use their own in house Micron flash, no way Lexar uses Sandisk. Micron/Lexar are my second favorite after Toshiba.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #1,777 of 14,773
Do you consider this strange thing a real competitor to the ZX2 or AK240 ?  

XDF 256 version: 2 SD slots (512 Gb !!), balanced TRSS and SPDIF digital-out ! 
eek.gif
  this makes it also a "real" home music server for my desktop DAC/Amp. 
biggrin.gif

but...I understand nothing about this "crow funding" stuff !  HOW CAN I JUST BUY ONE UNIT ?? when will they ship it ? 
confused.gif

confused.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,778 of 14,773
  ^ You forgot Micron, they are a huge flash memory producer, and Lexar is owned by Micron, they use their own in house Micron flash, no way Lexar uses Sandisk. Micron/Lexar are my second favorite after Toshiba.

Yeh, I knew there were a 5th one, just couldn't think of the name, that's why you see I put 4-5 brands, Lexar does use other brands, I know someone who deals in micro SD, that's where I get all the info from.

I like to use Toshiba, and my first two 64GB Micro SD cards was a Lexar, one died on me, so I got it replacement, afterwards I just gave them away.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,779 of 14,773
It is crowd funding, not crow. The simply collect money from people who want the device. If they can collect enough the will produce it. If not the people simply get their money back.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,780 of 14,773
GeekWave is all hot air until it actually gets into backers' hands.

On a different topic, regarding digital-out cable for ZX1/ZX2, it seems Sony still have no plans to make the damn thing properly available, globally, if the following is anything to go by (in addition to them not doing so, thus far, throughout the ZX1s lifetime):

.... I went to Bristol show on Saturday and spoke to Sony, who frankly did not seem to have thought about connecting the ZX1 to anything else, so cables were not even on their radar! Staggering to be honest; especially when they realised you couldn't even connect the ZX1 to their new Hires audio stuff they were showing off at the show.
deadhorse.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,781 of 14,773
I don't have faith in JH Labs/Indigogo stuff.  They seem too "smoke and mirror", and choose to confuse the public with too many options and too many funding choices.  Then no guarantee you will get anything, or on the date promised.  Meanwhile, you don't have a new DAP to use and enjoy.

I say focus on the ZX2...

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #1,782 of 14,773
It is crowd funding, not crow. The simply collect money from people who want the device. If they can collect enough the will produce it. If not the people simply get their money back.

Not necessary.

Depends on the platform and the funding method chosen. For example Indiegogo has the "Flex funding" option and that means:

"This campaign will receive all funds raised even if does not reach its goal."

So - you will be charged immediately and you might loose your money if the funding goal is not reached. Some companies re-imburse you, some don't and then you are out of luck. 

Cheers,
K

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,783 of 14,773

As a long-time J3 owner, I agree that long battery time is most welcome, but I'm thinking somewhere in between ZX1 battery capacity and ZX2 battery capacity might have been a more suitable compromise, to keep weight down at least a bit.

As a ZX1 owner I went to the Bristol show to try the ZX2 and was taken aback by its weight compared to the ZX1.

Love the battery life, interface is the same, same silly wmport setup for digital out, but the size and weight were a surprise.

Not a toned and slick ZX1 but an overweight and bulky ZX2 imho; very disappointed.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #1,784 of 14,773
  GeekWave is all hot air until it actually gets into backers' hands.

On a different topic, regarding digital-out cable for ZX1/ZX2, it seems Sony still have no plans to make the damn thing properly available, globally, if the following is anything to go by (in addition to them not doing so, thus far, throughout the ZX1s lifetime):

.... I went to Bristol show on Saturday and spoke to Sony, who frankly did not seem to have thought about connecting the ZX1 to anything else, so cables were not even on their radar! Staggering to be honest; especially when they realised you couldn't even connect the ZX1 to their new Hires audio stuff they were showing off at the show.
deadhorse.gif

I won't say it's impossible, and the are ways around it.

if some of the cables come as a complete set with a hardware, say a DAC amp, and you have a online Sony Store, better still a Sony store/service center in your country, you can always get them as a spare part, although it will cost you more than what is sold off the shelves in Japan.

Or you can always get them online through a store in Japan like pricejapan.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #1,785 of 14,773

I won't say it's impossible, and the are ways around it.

if some of the cables come as a complete set with a hardware, say a DAC amp, and you have a online Sony Store, better still a Sony store/service center in your country, you can always get them as a spare part, although it will cost you more than what is sold off the shelves in Japan.

Or you can always get them online through a store in Japan like pricejapan.

Ways around it? Any chance you could expand :)

My point is more that they make a slick device (ZX1 looks great imho) without any thought to the relatively large cable that is required to connect it to anything digitally.

I had to buy the cables from Pricejapan, but still using the cable to connect a a hugo is clumsy and detracts from the slickness of the device itself.

The two chaps I spoke to (product design I believe), spoke to each other that they need to make the cable available at least, but unlikely any new design to make the cable smaller for portable rig use.

They acknowledged the problem as they could see it with my hugo rig in front of them, but I wouldn't bet anything will change.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it does, it works, but it's far from a slick cable solution for mobile rig use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back