SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 17, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #13,081 of 14,755
Well I should know some by the end of next week when I get the A. Wonder if the 3,5 mm is actually trrs so my current cable will work as 4,4 mm plugs are not exactly available yet. Also for fair comparison I expect that the A also needs 3-400 hours burn in

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #13,082 of 14,755
Well I should know some by the end of next week when I get the A. Wonder if the 3,5 mm is actually trrs so my current cable will work as 4,4 mm plugs are not exactly available yet. Also for fair comparison I expect that the A also needs 3-400 hours burn in

It is TRRS similar to Zx2. You will not get 250mW per channel and or DSD native though. You can only get them out of 4.4

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #13,083 of 14,755
It is TRRS similar to Zx2. You will not get 250mW per channel and or DSD native though. You can only get them out of 4.4

so if i use my trrs zx2 cables with 1a , i still get 60mw per channel , which is like 4 times what zx2 put out ?

nice (i don't use dsd files , so i don't care)

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #13,085 of 14,755
That is correct
smily_headphones1.gif

this is great news , as it means that i can have my cables zx2 trrs terminated and not worry about them being useless if i move on to 1A

1A just got a whole lot more enticing 
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #13,086 of 14,755

this is great news , as it means that i can have my cables zx2 trrs terminated and not worry about them being useless if i move on to 1A

1A just got a whole lot more enticing 
L3000.gif

​Exactly my thinking
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #13,087 of 14,755
I certainly don't expect the new players to blow away the ZX2, but perhaps a little better

I'd agree.  The SQ will likely be similar but there will be new and updated features.  Maybe a true balanced out and newer OS etc. Incremental feature creep.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #13,088 of 14,755
How much battery life you guys get with your ZX2 in AIRPLANE MODE ON solely for FLAC library.

I am currently using my retired xperia M2 as my DAP and i recharge it every two days for Android 5.1 (note the battery is aged now)

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #13,089 of 14,755
In airplane mode playing 16/44 flac driving JH13 trrs I get 20-25 hours per charge

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #13,091 of 14,755
Funny, I moved to the M2 for a short while, as it has less background noise than the ZX2 with the SE846...

I notice you use the G5 as your portable rig. I almost picked up the G5 last week, but settled on the G4 as I use Bluetooth headphones for portable and even the B&O module couldn't tempt me, not to mention lack of NA availability. I also suspect the G5 module experiment is going to be abandoned and the V20 will take up the development direction. I actually love the look and feel of the G5, but given that in many ways the G4 is quite close (unless you play games) I couldn't quite justify grabbing it over the G4. Still, the G5 must be nice with the B&O module, does it have enough power for full sized headphones?

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #13,092 of 14,755
you're damn right Duncan! The zx2 is very noisy. It was a deal breaker for me, that's why I had sold mine and kept the DP-X1 (Sony UI speed was also slower to navigate but it wasn't a major reason to ditch it).

The japanese walkman interviews article gives me a tangible hope that Sony has correctly adressed this with the wm1z

Was considering to move from the DP-X1 to the AR m20 for more battery, until Sony woke up again from its slumbering siesta ^^

That's weird. I am using my XBA-Z5 and JH16Pro with my newly purchased ZX2 - they have zero background noise. Completely zero hiss. Using standard 3.5mm non-balanced plug.

Bought my ZX2 last week and it is the latest production batch in 2016 (stated 2016-xx on the ZX2 body). Perhaps Sony has sorted this in the new batch?

It has zero hiss during cold start or when warmed up. Only thing I did to the ZX2 is to apply the disable the "Sound Enhancement" app and the volume increase quite a bit, and I am listening at around 15%-20% volume after disabling the sound enhancement.

Perhaps Z5 and JH16pro is not as sensitive as the SE846?

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #13,093 of 14,755
I notice you use the G5 as your portable rig. I almost picked up the G5 last week, but settled on the G4 as I use Bluetooth headphones for portable and even the B&O module couldn't tempt me, not to mention lack of NA availability. I also suspect the G5 module experiment is going to be abandoned and the V20 will take up the development direction. I actually love the look and feel of the G5, but given that in many ways the G4 is quite close (unless you play games) I couldn't quite justify grabbing it over the G4. Still, the G5 must be nice with the B&O module, does it have enough power for full sized headphones?
so long as high impedance mode (50ohm or higher) or aux mode (plug in an extension cable), plug your headphones into that after the preparing hi fi plus message has gone away, yes, I would say so - but full sized, and standard impedance mode, it depends on how loudly you listen, I wouldn't want to guarantee.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #13,094 of 14,755
That's weird. I am using my XBA-Z5 and JH16Pro with my newly purchased ZX2 - they have zero background noise. Completely zero hiss. Using standard 3.5mm non-balanced plug.

Bought my ZX2 last week and it is the latest production batch in 2016 (stated 2016-xx on the ZX2 body). Perhaps Sony has sorted this in the new batch?

It has zero hiss during cold start or when warmed up. Only thing I did to the ZX2 is to apply the disable the "Sound Enhancement" app and the volume increase quite a bit, and I am listening at around 15%-20% volume after disabling the sound enhancement.

Perhaps Z5 and JH16pro is not as sensitive as the SE846?

There should be a hash noise when you first start the unit up from the screen being off and no music playing, then press play, (check again) and then the noise dissipates to a very fine hiss, barely noticeable on my IEM's, it starts off pretty loud tho, so you should hear it.
I find it hard to believe the amps start hiss is completely gone now. Has anyone else got a new zx2 from the new batch that can confirm this?

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #13,095 of 14,755
There should be a hash noise when you first start the unit up from the screen being off and no music playing, then press play, (check again) and then the noise dissipates to a very fine hiss, barely noticeable on my IEM's, it starts off pretty loud tho, so you should hear it.
I find it hard to believe the amps start hiss is completely gone now. Has anyone else got a new zx2 from the new batch that can confirm this?

Just tried it again to test, but it is completely hiss free.

In fact, it is completely silent in the background. This is what I did for the test:

Stop the music player. Fast forward to next song (so that it will start from a fresh song later). Switch off the screen by pressing power button.
Here, I tried both methods to start the music:
- press the play button directly
- Switch on the screen, press play button on the LCD screen

Both ways played songs without any hiss or noise. In fact, it is the most quiet player that I have tried.

I can try to switch off the power fully, let it cool down and try again. Started using the ZX2 few days back. Brought home and charged fully, and then turn on to test - could not hear any hiss or starting noise at all. Was pleasantly surprised as was expecting some noise since I have been reading this forum before buying my ZX2.

Tried on both XBA-Z5 and JH16pro.

Could not be my hearing, as I am finding it pretty loud just listening at 15-20% loudness.

BTW, it is perfect match for ZX2 and XBA-Z5 - this is just using SE connection, and it sounded really good. ZX2 not burned in yet, only played max 50hours. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back