SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 8, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #12,976 of 14,755

is this trs > trrs or trrs > trs ?

I'm going to guess 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS, because you can't go from TRS to TRRS and TRS works natively in the DAP

@Virtu Fortuna is there an immediately noticable difference? I'm hugely curious about how much diffrence the semi balanced output makes and I'm still waiting for my TRRS terminated cable to come back, so I can't test myself yet  
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #12,977 of 14,755

I'm going to guess 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS, because you can't go from TRS to TRRS and TRS works natively in the DAP

@Virtu Fortuna is there an immediately noticable difference? I'm hugely curious about how much diffrence the semi balanced output makes and I'm still waiting for my TRRS terminated cable to come back, so I can't test myself yet  
biggrin.gif

Yep.

Actually, I was using a custom copper cable all the time, so I returned to stock cable after such a long time. Now there's of course a difference because it's a different cable after all, therefore I need to compare it with the stock single ended cable when I get home.

But I feel like there's more minor details in the sound, and more revealing in general. But making comments at this time is not healthy. When I get back home and compare this setup with the stock SE cable, I can say few things.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #12,978 of 14,755
  Yep.

Actually, I was using a custom copper cable all the time, so I returned to stock cable after such a long time. Now there's of course a difference because it's a different cable after all, therefore I need to compare it with the stock single ended cable when I get home.

But I feel like there's more minor details in the sound, and more revealing in general. But making comments at this time is not healthy. When I get back home and compare this setup with the stock SE cable, I can say few things.

​Ah yes, always tough when you've not heard the cable for a while and especially when in the mean time you've been using a cable with different component materials. I'd love to hear you thoughts when you've had some time to think about it though.

On another note, I've found an outstanding pairing with the ZX2 using the Tralucent Ref1 toos and the Tralucent Uber cable. Absolutely phenomenal 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #12,979 of 14,755

​Ah yes, always tough when you've not heard the cable for a while and especially when in the mean time you've been using a cable with different component materials. I'd love to hear you thoughts when you've had some time to think about it though.

On another note, I've found an outstanding pairing with the ZX2 using the Tralucent Ref1 toos and the Tralucent Uber cable. Absolutely phenomenal 
biggrin.gif

Unfortunalety never had a chance to try out some Tralucent's. Maybe in the future. Anyway it's good to hear that you found your combo mate. Do you consider the new Walkman?

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #12,980 of 14,755
  Unfortunalety never had a chance to try out some Tralucent's. Maybe in the future. Anyway it's good to hear that you found your combo mate. Do you consider the new Walkman?

​I would love to hear the new Walkman, but at the same time I don't want to because I know it will become a necessity for me.

I'm terribly afflicted with upgradeitis! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #12,982 of 14,755
​I would love to hear the new Walkman, but at the same time I don't want to because I know it will become a necessity for me.

I'm terribly afflicted with upgradeitis!  :D

New (or more expensive) does not mean better though.

I would need to audition the new WMA1 before buying. The ZX2 still looks good and should pair nicely with my CA Andromeda. Used prizes should make it even more enticing!

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #12,983 of 14,755
New (or more expensive) does not mean better though.

I would need to audition the new WMA1 before buying. The ZX2 still looks good and should pair nicely with my CA Andromeda. Used prizes should make it even more enticing!

​The problem is I'm a sucker for raw sound quality improvements over functionality and I have a feeling the new Walkman is going to provide just that, especially the WM1Z. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #12,985 of 14,755
You are not the only one
biggrin.gif
sadly

​Ha ha, it's a sickness most of us are afflicted with
biggrin.gif

Actually whilst I've got you there was something I wanted to ask you about. Earlier in the year I remember you saying you had swapped over to Poweramp (Alpha) as you felt it gave a truer sound. Do you still feel that way? Or are you back on the stock player?

I've also noticed Poweramp doesn't seem to be affected by the volume boost seen when disabling audio adjustments. In fact I am on a considerably higher volume. More like 80 - 90% with Poweramp alpha, compared to the stock player on about 30%. Are you seeing the same?

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #12,987 of 14,755
  So you'll pay $3300 for the bling sony?I'm shocked :)

​I wouldn't pay that, simply because I couldn't afford it. However if the sound quality was truly exceptional I would wait a few months before they start appearing in the for sale or trade forums and then see if I could either get a good deal or do some trades.

There doesn't necessarily need to be a rush to buy it 
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #12,988 of 14,755

​I wouldn't pay that, simply because I couldn't afford it. However if the sound quality was truly exceptional I would wait a few months before they start appearing in the for sale or trade forums and then see if I could either get a good deal or do some trades.

There doesn't necessarily need to be a rush to buy it 
wink.gif

I think if you are serious about it you can buy it new in less than six months.All you have to do is turn vegan,only water and vegetables for 5 months,that should save around $300 a month,then don't go out at weekends for drinks that's another $100x4=400 dollars a month and you're there.If you don't move the car around much you can save $30 a week and get it faster,if you are a true audiophile you could cut back on electricity,bath once a week and no air condition for a couple of months,you'll be able to buy it in 4 months.You just need to set goals in life and you'll achieve your dreams.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #12,989 of 14,755
  I think if you are serious about it you can buy it new in less than six months.All you have to do is turn vegan,only water and vegetables for 5 months,that should save around $300 a month,then don't go out at weekends for drinks that's another $100x4=400 dollars a month and you're there.If you don't move the car around much you can save $30 a week and get it faster,if you are a true audiophile you could cut back on electricity,bath once a week and no air condition for a couple of months,you'll be able to buy it in 4 months.You just need to set goals in life and you'll achieve your dreams.

​Pffft. A true audiophile would just rob a bank and ensure he could get it on pre-order  
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #12,990 of 14,755
LOL me too
biggrin.gif
 after one year approx with XBA-A3 i sold them and now  have the XBA-Z5 (due to arrive later today) and prob will do the same with my ZX100 to get the new walkman
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back