SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #10,216 of 14,755
I'm observing the DP X1 thread and the socket issue you guys are having.That's why it does not pay to be an early adopter on anything  despite the hype in sound as the quality issues would be a deal braker for me and many others.Same with the qp1r wheel which is getting on nerves of many owners even though no quality issues observed there.

You really thing the dpx1 has the upper hand over the Zx2 ? :D

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #10,217 of 14,755
You really thing the dpx1 has the upper hand over the Zx2 ?
biggrin.gif

In sound possibly but if the loose  headfone socket fails in a year  or so like you estimated it's a no go.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #10,218 of 14,755
daps are like a marriage - the neighbour's wife may be prettier , but if she cooks ****ty and files for divorce in 6 months , it's not worth 
tongue.gif

zx2 may not be the prettiest-sounding , but at least you won't be looking for a divorcelawer soon 
gs1000.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #10,219 of 14,755
daps are like a marriage - the neighbour's wife may be prettier , but if she cooks ****ty and files for divorce in 6 months , it's not worth :p

zx2 may not be the prettiest-sounding , but at least you won't be looking for a divorcelawer soon :gs1000smile:

Lol...no ways...Zx2 gets better the more you know her....this DP-x1 gets uglier the more time I spend with her now.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #10,220 of 14,755
Well, here is what I found...the DP-X1 3rd party app has no access to the dual DAC on DP-X1...only stock player can...I tried Poweramp alpha, while it did alright at first, I tried to switch the modes like gains...etc...and it started to be uncontrollable, clipping...stuttering, getting louder, smaller...etc...all acting very weird..... Like it was haunted and possessed by an evil spirit....arggg

I have a feeling because the ZX2 control all the audio hardware through not using 3rd party chipsets, the unit can address the data and control it.

Where the dpx1 can not and relies on a 3rd party DAC, and will be at the mercy of software development, and the inclusiveness of drivers being included that know how to address the hardware.(this may or may not happen).

For example we have waited months and months for Poweramp Alpha to come to light up the ZX2, (which addressed the hardware properly).
This may take years for onkyo to get right, if even possible. (Maybe the app's might include the access to the DAC's, that uses dual sabre DAC proprietary addressing and control).

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the working release.:dizzy_face:

The plugs won't last that long buddy.:smiling_imp:

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #10,221 of 14,755
Lol...man..the plug is real...that in-secured feeling...the feeling like when you are having a girlfriend that you feel so uh-secure with because whenever she date and hang out with you, you would always see her having attentions to guys around you and constantly trying to act attractive to pull their attentions and such :D roflmao

Ok, back to this balanced jack feeling. Whenever I plug/unplug it, I feel like I could yank it broken any time period.

It is also very true. I think it is by nature of their design

Zx2 is pure class D and almost as direct as direct digital get
X1 is with the most complicated DAC setup for android OS ...dual DAC, and dual op-amp...actively control grounds on balanced out.

Android OS already had it share of the implementation of external DAC and not the integrated SOHC DAC....the popular example would be Snapdragon and it own integrated SD-dac (which sounds like ****)...excuse me...then LG-V10 came in, V10 has 1 sabre ESS DAC, but also on the same time having this integrated snapdragon DAC as well....the result = 3rd party app sucked with it, and not working right. There was an XDA guy that developed a program for the V10 to always access the ESS DAC

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #10,222 of 14,755
Lol...man..the plug is real...that in-secured feeling...the feeling like when you are having a girlfriend that you feel so uh-secure with because whenever she date and hang out with you, you would always see her having attentions to guys around you and constantly trying to act attractive to pull their attentions and such
biggrin.gif
roflmao

Ok, back to this balanced jack feeling. Whenever I plug/unplug it, I feel like I could yank it broken any time period.

For the time being can you test it with trrs without any app and tell us how it sounds?I won't be able to sleep at night otherwise 
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #10,223 of 14,755

Putting the sound quality aside,one thing we can say about our ZX2 is shes built like a tank... I'm a bit weird about these issues but when you lay down a serious amount of your hard earned on a dap like the Onkyo unit,it should be perfect and free from any hardware issues at the very minimum...

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #10,227 of 14,755
Anyone have an idea for how, when using Poweramp Alpha, to not have downloaded podcasts from randomly playing when 'shuffling all songs'? I'm pretty happy with the sound of the stock player with my 'primary' iems, but I really like how the Poweramp player makes my ie800s sound. Just not digging having podcasts randomly showing up...

I've never encountered this issue with the stock player.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #10,228 of 14,755
Just figured out that 'eq' adjustments with Poweramp Alpha work with the digital out when feeding Mojo. Never much engaged with eq, but I could see this being of value for some. On the other hand, it looks like higher bit rate signals are downsampled when using the Poweramp Alpha player sending a digital out signal...

Not really sold on ZX2 as transport in the first place, though, as the battery life is diminished to the extent that it makes it kind of a 'non starter'. It would also help if there were a more ergonomic option with regards to connectors for the WM-port. The line out connector is 'somewhat bad', but the connector to send a digital signal is worse (sticks out further) rendering quite a cumbersome setup.

I like the Sony on its own quite a bit, but being curious, and just prior to dialing in my iem of choice to pair with it, UERR, I picked up a Mojo, looking for 'the sound'. I'm thinking to pick up a good 'transport player', but haven't settled on one yet...

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #10,229 of 14,755
What do you mean podcast ? Like some type of advertisements ?

To those who are curious about how DP-x1 sounds from my primary impressions ? It is on the same level of Zx2, but with different sound signature, and I do think both of them are fantastic quality.

Dp-X1 is wider and more expansive soundstage, same spherical stage as Zx2, and very 3D dimensional as well. Tonality is less thick, however bass is more articulated, faster, still just as deep. More neutral, flat, detailed, sparkling trebles and of great energies+ Trebles resolutions. However string instruments are not as organic or realistic as Zx2

Zx2 is slightly narrower in soundstage and expansive, spherical staging, very 3D dimensional and is probably a little better than Dp-x1 but that is pushing it...it is not noticable. Tonality is thicker, bass lover will love it here, still articulated, but thicker and brings in more impacts and feelings than DP-x1, warmer, more musical over-all compare to DP-x1. String instruments is very organic and is very realistic. It gets realistic in drums, and strings, and DP-x1 gets more realistic on Brass and trebles hits lol....

I am generally very picky at soundstage, and Mojo while offering the same musicality, fun, more organic in drum and brass than DP-x1, it had a weirder soundstage and it was the main point where I turned it down vs Zx2. However, soundstage in DP-x1 is even better than Zx2 in TRRS connections.

So...what is your taste ? Realism on Drum+guitars, violin ? Musicality and flows ? Zx2....or you want more articulated bass, still very deep dive, articulated, but more realism on cymbals, metallic housing drum sets, hit-hat, splashy trebles and details ?

I can't even say which is better than which lol....

This is only first impressions, I need more time for DP-x1 review and comparison to Zx2 later.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #10,230 of 14,755
Podcasts, as in, a recorded 'monologue' or 'conversation'. I use an app called 'Podcast Addict', which I use to download these 'podcasts'. Obviously, I could delete this app, and reserve the ZX2 for music only, but I enjoy using just the one device, especially when engaging with my primary use with 'portable audio', which is when I'm going on some type of excursion, in some cases out for 'many' hours. In these instances, I enjoy listening to music, then mixing it up with other media, such as an audiobook, or a podcast. For the most part, spoken word media doesn't benefit any hearing them through the ZX2 vs. anything else (phone) but I appreciate the convenience.

Many times a podcast is a type of interview, where a host has some particular figure of interest (think Wim Hof). In my case, hours deep on some trip deep into the wilds, my mind enjoys a break from music, and I am invigorated by some 'engaging' dialogue of some sorts. Sometimes, of course, I even take the headphones out(!).

With regards to Poweramp Alpha, I figured out that the shuffle option has these options; All, Songs, Lists, Songs/Lists. I noticed there were different symbols in regards to shuffle, but learned how you need to press the shuffle symbol for longer to see the breakdown/explanation for what the different ones mean. It makes sense that the 'Songs' shuffle option will solve this issue. I'll post if that does the trick...

Update: Nope. Selecting the shuffle option for all songs doesn't work. Not a huge deal, but I'd like to figure it out. For some reason, this player sees everything as 'fair game'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back