SONY NW-ZX100
Aug 29, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #3,212 of 3,849
I am still curious, what make AK a Prestige ? Did they use meteorite casing, and all expensive quality silver, gold circuitry ?

A&K made themselves a prestige brand by selling DAP's at prestige level prices and getting people to actually buy the products.  A&K created the ultra high end DAP market and by virtue of that they made themselves prestigious. Even it it is just an illusion if enough people fall for the illusion that crazy expensive means better then it sells itself, in this case insanely expensive DAP's.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #3,213 of 3,849
You guys are right. I read a few reviews complaining about the price for the zx2. For the average listener that was way overpriced. I'm sure this will sell, but obviously not going to be a huge seller. I definitely am interested in it. If it improves on the zx2 (which it better at that ridiculous price) and has Android, I'm definitely in.

I'd feel much more comfortable giving Sony 3k than AK. Hell, I bought the ak240, so spending an extra $500 or so for Sony isn't a big deal to be honest.

If you have got that kind of money to burn then have at it.  But in all fairness how much better can a $3000.00 DAP actually be regardless of who made it.  Describe to me what a $3000.00 DAP looks like to convince me that it is worth that much.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #3,214 of 3,849
A&K made themselves a prestige brand by selling DAP's at prestige level prices and getting people to actually buy the products.  A&K created the ultra high end DAP market and by virtue of that they made themselves prestigious. Even it it is just an illusion if enough people fall for the illusion that crazy expensive means better then it sells itself, in this case insanely expensive DAP's.

What does that said ? You want to be Prestige ? You sell your products at insane prices regardless of quality and performances. To me......that is Prestigiously fooling :D

The only way for a $3,000 DAP to be justifiable is when it can perform as well as any sub $3000 desktop system. I seriously doubt it. Just by Power, Battery alone rendering it almost or totally impossible ATM

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #3,215 of 3,849
good luck Sony for your new TOTL dap
popcorn.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #3,216 of 3,849
Sony is a prestige brand in some areas too. Or at least was a prestige brand.I'm thinking about their Vaio division, which went down the drain from the moment they started selling mid-end garbage.Or their Bravia television line, which sells some ridiculously priced models,...

You just made the point, when Sony had a reputation for selling some high end products like their ES line of home audio products which I actually sold.  But Sony no longer has that kind of reputation and that is what will make it a tough sell a $3000.00 DAP if that is in fact the final price.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #3,217 of 3,849
it's a good marketing trick though

announce that they will sell zx3 for 3000$ , then tell people 'oh you can also buy our semi-flagship zx2 for just 1000$'

tongue.gif

[ oh sony , just when you brought us back to your loving hug, you make us go away again ]

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #3,218 of 3,849
it's a good marketing trick though

announce that they will sell zx3 for 3000$ , then tell people 'oh you can also buy our semi-flagship zx2 for just 1000$'

:p

[ oh sony , just when you brought us back to your loving hug, you make us go away again ]

It is not a trick, it is a fact where you can create an "iconic product" for y9ur brand that sit on top of the chain for a premium prices which can also perform "uniquely different" than other products on the market, you wins the masses and your company will strive.

Example of Apple and IPhones....who would have thought back in 2006 smartphones could be made for $700, and people even paid $1-2k for a phone ? Because it was Unique then, and it was what made Apple the way that it is

Regarding Audio and Daps ? It better has good audio performances, and the ability to access Sony collection of high-res Music indefinitely for free and for lifetime of the unit :D

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #3,219 of 3,849
What does that said ? You want to be Prestige ? You sell your products at insane prices regardless of quality and performances. To me......that is Prestigiously fooling
biggrin.gif

The only way for a $3,000 DAP to be justifiable is when it can perform as well as any sub $3000 desktop system. I seriously doubt it. Just by Power, Battery alone rendering it almost or totally impossible ATM

Hey just because your rich doesn't mean your not foolish!  Look at all the bankrupt professional athletes.  There are tons of examples, Beats by Dr. Dre, Tiesto and Quincy Jones headphones from AKG and the list goes on.  I wouldn't be caught dead buying Beats headphones regardless of whose name is on the product.  

That is another good point, the more expensive the DAP the shorter the battery life once you throw in all the bells and whistles that make it supposedly worth $3000.00.  I would spend $3000.00 on a really nice home system which I have.  But on a portable audio product setup it makes no sense.  I get nervous sometimes wearing my B&W P5 S2 headphones in public because they look expensive. Someone sees you pull out a $3000.00 DAP to change songs and you are asking to get it taken from you.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #3,220 of 3,849
well i am happy with my ZX2 and i could easily live with it/without a zx3

besides, i consider great value-for-money a japan zx2 bought for 600$ 

but i guess zx3 aims at peoplw who buy/bought ak240/300/380 and have pockets deep enough to burn 3000$

capitalism baby 
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #3,221 of 3,849
Hey just because your rich doesn't mean your not foolish!  Look at all the bankrupt professional athletes.  There are tons of examples, Beats by Dr. Dre, Tiesto and Quincy Jones headphones from AKG and the list goes on.  I wouldn't be caught dead buying Beats headphones regardless of whose name is on the product.  

That is another good point, the more expensive the DAP the shorter the battery life once you throw in all the bells and whistles that make it supposedly worth $3000.00.  I would spend $3000.00 on a really nice home system which I have.  But on a portable audio product setup it makes no sense.  I get nervous sometimes wearing my B&W P5 S2 headphones in public because they look expensive. Someone sees you pull out a $3000.00 DAP to change songs and you are asking to get it taken from you.

Especially when it is shinning in gold or copper :) ! I agreed

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #3,222 of 3,849
It is not a trick, it is a fact where you can create an "iconic product" for y9ur brand that sit on top of the chain for a premium prices which can also perform "uniquely different" than other products on the market, you wins the masses and your company will strive.

Example of Apple and IPhones....who would have thought back in 2006 smartphones could be made for $700, and people even paid $1-2k for a phone ? Because it was Unique then, and it was what made Apple the way that it is

Regarding Audio and Daps ? It better has good audio performances, and the ability to access Sony collection of high-res Music indefinitely for free and for lifetime of the unit
biggrin.gif

Regarding Audio and Daps ? It better has good audio performances, and the ability to access Sony collection of high-res Music indefinitely for free and for lifetime of the unit
biggrin.gif

The problem with that scenario is it costs Sony money to make these $3000.00 DAP's and for everyone they don't sell it will wipe out profit they do make from the ZX2's they do sell.   Now if the ZX3 was just a shiny shell with nothing inside then Sony could do a bait and switch and use it to lure people into buying a ZX2.  But I think that is kind of illegal 
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #3,223 of 3,849
  well i am happy with my ZX2 and i could easily live with it/without a zx3

besides, i consider great value-for-money a japan zx2 bought for 600$ 

but i guess zx3 aims at peoplw who buy/bought ak240/300/380 and have pockets deep enough to burn 3000$

capitalism baby 

Especially when it is shinning in gold or copper
smily_headphones1.gif
! I agreed

It ain't no thing if it ain't got that bling, maybe add some encrusted diamonds to the case to make it really sparkle.
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #3,224 of 3,849
You just made the point, when Sony had a reputation for selling some high end products like their ES line of home audio products which I actually sold.  But Sony no longer has that kind of reputation and that is what will make it a tough sell a $3000.00 DAP if that is in fact the final price.

I think you'll turn out to be right.If the price rumour is true ofcourse.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,225 of 3,849
If you have got that kind of money to burn then have at it.  But in all fairness how much better can a $3000.00 DAP actually be regardless of who made it.  Describe to me what a $3000.00 DAP looks like to convince me that it is worth that much.

I don't think it will sound significantly better. I rarely hear any major differences between daps although some do sound better, it's not a night and day difference.

No offense, but I'm not trying to convince you to buy a $3k dap. It matters not to me what anyone else buys, as long as you are happy, I'm happy for you. I'm only speaking for me. If the new dap sounds better than the zx2, has comparable or better features, I will buy it.

As far as who makes it, my point was that I feel more comfortable giving a known brand, such as Sony, $3k, opposed to AK. Yes, AK is known, but they are far from being a Sony. I know I won't have an issue if the Sony breaks or if I need support. Who knows with smaller companies like AK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back