SONY NW-ZX100
Aug 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,196 of 3,849
   Understan that but i am not satisfied by the BUILD of the ZX100 (even after mine was repaired), if the new walkman will have a single peces machined aluminum body then i buy the new one (the zx100 is not a single piece body as top and botton are plastics)

What exactly are you doing with your Walkman that the build quality is inadequate, laying railroad spikes?

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #3,202 of 3,849
That walkman will create more harm to them than good.  Can you imagine all of bad press they will get?  People tend to not care about AK's pricing...but they will point and laugh at Sony til no end.  I'm with many of your guys here, $3000 Walkman is a big big no no.  That same DAP can easily be priced at $1800 to put all the AK players to rest.  This $3000 DAP is a good new for AK, b/c now they can release the AK480 with $4800 price tag.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #3,203 of 3,849
That walkman will create more harm to them than good.  Can you imagine all of bad press they will get?  People tend to not care about AK's pricing...but they will point and laugh at Sony til no end.  I'm with many of your guys here, $3000 Walkman is a big big no no.  That same DAP can easily be priced at $1800 to put all the AK players to rest.  This $3000 DAP is a good new for AK, b/c now they can release the AK480 with $4800 price tag.

Lol $4800 will be ridiculous :D, what a disaster

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #3,205 of 3,849
  I'd never spend 3000 USD on a DAP. In my opinion, it's that thin line where refinement crosses into decadence.

I guess that is what happens when you spin off a division of your company and let them do their own thing, THEY LOSE THEIR FREAKING MINDS!!!

So it will be $3000.00 and no one will buy it, 6 months later they will blow it out at a huge discount and start all over again.  According to what I read all of Sony's portable audio products for 2017 will have LDAC bluetooth so I guess the new high end will go back to android with wifi etc....  I have seen images of the updated E series and now they will have the A30 series and this insanely dumb super DAP.  So what does that mean for the ZX100?  I guess this will remain unchanged.  Even now the A20 series and the ZX100 still show available soon on Sony Canada.

Right now on the Sony site you have the NWZ-B, NW-E, A10 series, A20 series, ZX100, and ZX2, soon to be joined by the A30 series and the WM1 (M standing for Moronic).  I think Sony is throwing every possible DAP into the market to see what will and won't sell and then they will start to weed out some models at some point next year or in 2018.  

I even read that Sony is developing a headphoneless device of sorts.  Apparently it is a bluetooth necklace type device you wear around your neck with built in speakers firing upwards toward your ears.  Can't wait to see what wackiness comes from Sony next.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #3,206 of 3,849

​Hope that too or at least a second version released priced like the zx2

My guess is the ZX2 will remain and the new model will slot in above it so don't hold your breath on that one.  Sony is simply trying to grab what little market there is at the super high end away from Astell and Kern.  The problem is at that level it is more about prestige than anything.  Astell and Kern is a prestige brand and Sony is not so it is going to end badly for Sony.

There is a small store in Toronto that I have bought stuff from that sell Astell and Kern's highest priced DAP's.  Apparently they sell a few of the top end A&K's every week to businessmen with more cash than sense so there is a market however small.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #3,207 of 3,849
  My guess is the ZX2 will remain and the new model will slot in above it so don't hold your breath on that one.  Sony is simply trying to grab what little market there is at the super high end away from Astell and Kern.  The problem is at that level it is more about prestige than anything.  Astell and Kern is a prestige brand and Sony is not so it is going to end badly for Sony.

There is a small store in Toronto that I have bought stuff from that sell Astell and Kern's highest priced DAP's.  Apparently they sell a few of the top end A&K's every week to businessmen with more cash than sense so there is a market however small.

To some it is and that's a sad fact.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3,209 of 3,849
You guys are right. I read a few reviews complaining about the price for the zx2. For the average listener that was way overpriced. I'm sure this will sell, but obviously not going to be a huge seller. I definitely am interested in it. If it improves on the zx2 (which it better at that ridiculous price) and has Android, I'm definitely in.

I'd feel much more comfortable giving Sony 3k than AK. Hell, I bought the ak240, so spending an extra $500 or so for Sony isn't a big deal to be honest.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #3,210 of 3,849
I also do not find the rumored price to be all that unbelievable. Sony already had their Qualia line in that territory, among others. And if it has that price, it will create media buzz and free advertising just based on that, and the masses will look at it and be amazed and outraged and buy the cheaper models. A bit like Apple's gold watch. I doubt it would be a suicide move for Sony, they hardly need to invest much R&D to make yet another mp3 player, even one with a few extras, and a few will sell after all. As mentioned, if Iriver can survive selling nothing but their AK range of players, then Sony will for sure. Frankly, if I had the cash to spend on such a DAP, I would be way more willing to trust Sony with their pedigree in that range, rather than some upstart with a made-up European name or some obscure boutique manufacturer with a website full of typos.

That being said, the price is just a rumor, so we will see in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back