SONY NW-ZX100
Aug 31, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,241 of 3,849
Also, notice how in the promo pic for the DAC below there is a guy of what looks like middle age. Different from nearly every other Walkman/ Headphone/ DAC promos they use.
And testament to the rumoured price.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #3,242 of 3,849
ZX100 was great in SQ, a not so great masterpiece in build thanks to plastic top and bottom instead of single piece aluminum block like the zx2 or the newer WM1

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #3,243 of 3,849
So outside of a case, what other accessories have yall used with this? Docks?.....

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #3,244 of 3,849
  So outside of a case, what other accessories have yall used with this? Docks?.....

No have never used docks all my headphones driven from the jack, the only dok accesory i used ever was a fiio L5 but that was with an A17

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #3,245 of 3,849

Yes looks def thicker kind of like hifiman hope oit packs some serious power and battery at the same time
biggrin.gif

Unless Sony has abandoned their amplifier design I doubt there will be much more power than the ZX100.  If Sony is adding wifi among other features they will want to maximize battery life to support these features. This to me means sticking with a relatively low power output.

It appears from the photo they are sticking with their WM-Port which would be a big negative for me.  The extra thickness might be to accommodate dual mircrosd card slots. They may have gone to a 2 tier mother board design to isolate components better.  

All speculation of course but we should know by next week about this and the A30 series which holds alot more interest for me.

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #3,246 of 3,849
I will be selling my Cayin i5 and move to the ZX100. It is on sale fot good price currently in Singapore (599 SGD)
and caters better to my needs. By no means the i5 is a bad DAP, it sounds good, but a tad too warm for my taste.
Also I do not use streaming and I prefer longer battery life. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,247 of 3,849
  I will be selling my Cayin i5 and move to the ZX100. It is on sale fot good price currently in Singapore (599 SGD)
and caters better to my needs. By no means the i5 is a bad DAP, it sounds good, but a tad too warm for my taste.
Also I do not use streaming and I prefer longer battery life. 

My zx100 is for sale at 450 USD (420 + 30 usd ship)

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #3,249 of 3,849

Probably not a good idea that you mentioned the build flaws in your ZX100 prior to selling it.  Could make it hard to sell at least on this forum.  Good luck and I hope you find a buyer

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #3,250 of 3,849
This thing's adorable... it's like the ZX1 and ZX2 had a baby.

I'd be tempted to get one, since my ZX2 unfortunately grew a pair of legs (either that or it's hide and seek champion of the world)... but I ordered a Geek Wave ages ago, so I'll just patiently wait for that to materialize.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #3,252 of 3,849

Probably not a good idea that you mentioned the build flaws in your ZX100 prior to selling it.  Could make it hard to sell at least on this forum.  Good luck and I hope you find a buyer
got it repaired under aj warranty by Sony Hongkong

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,253 of 3,849
  So, the new player leaked and its body looks like its completely made of copper or a copper blend somehow, lol

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.be/2016/08/sony-signature-series-leaked.html

Imo, it looks incredibly tacky. And looks kinda huge But there looks to be a black version too, so that's better.

This is a gold plated version of the new DAP which is why the cost is so high ($3200.00 US).  Apparently there will be a cheaper non-gold plated version released as well.  No pricing has been given on the non-gold plated version.  The body is made of copper and part of the reason for the thickness is to isolate the analog components from the digital components to reduce noise. The choice to go with a copper body instead of aluminium has added to the cost as well. A pound of copper costs about 3.5x more than a pound of aluminum. ($1.75 vs $0.50).  

It should be interesting to see the weight of this DAP as the copper must add to it.  One way to make a DAP seem higher quality is to make it heavier so it feels more substantial when you hold it.  I am guessing that these changes by Sony are a smoke screen to hide the fact that the hardware inside this high end DAP won't be much different than the cheaper ZX2 and ZX100.

Not sure how much gold plating adds to the cost but I am guessing maybe $200.00 so price could still be around $3000.00 US MSRP.  The final street price should be a little lower.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #3,254 of 3,849
got it repaired under aj warranty by Sony Hongkong

I thought they only repaired the stuck volume button and the plastic top and bottom caps coming loose were a newer issue.  Even still knowing something has been repaired will reduce interest and make it harder to sell.  With the new products coming out there me be more deals for the ZX100 as others have mentioned.  You may have to take a bigger hit on the price to sell it.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #3,255 of 3,849
More information on the WM-1Z from IFA

Key Features
There's several key aspects of the DAP:
  1. New DSD Native Support (11.2 MHz)
  2. S-Master HX, SEE HX, and LDAC - ALREADY ON CURRENT DAP'S
  3. 256 GB Internal Memory (Gold), 128 GB Internal Memory (Black)
  4. New FT Cap, strengthening power supply
  5. Optimized substrate layout - Improved SNR
  6. OCC For Internals (Kimber)
  7. 30 Hours Playback w/ Hi-Res Audio

So the gold plated version will have twice the internal memory vs the cheaper black version.  Adding DSD support which to me has always been overkill on a portable device.  Higher grade caps should increase power output but given the S-Master digital amp design I can't see it being more than a few milliwatts.  Most other changes seem to be to reduce noise which may help with iem's but for headphone user's like myself not sure if the reduced noise will be audible as I don't hear any now.  

No mention yet on android version or wifi but the battery life of 30 hours with high res audio is good.  I would like to see the battery life figures when using wifi and bluetooth.

This does at least with the initial information seem to be a high quality product. It will be interesting to see the price difference between the gold plated and black versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back