SONY NW-ZX100
Dec 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,116 of 3,849

mine all button era, im waiting for the newest Sony dap with voice command function
biggrin.gif

The player in the middle is an nwz e model right?... i used to have that it was a great sounding cheap player

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #2,117 of 3,849

Agree a ZX100 with the x1060 form (exclude weird finish), touch screen, buttons at the top or sides a la zx2, microSd slot, revamped sony OS to look like android music app, 256GB lash, 150mw per channel at the expense of less battery life

we can only dream 
biggrin.gif

yes damn lol, if we had a genie like aladdin. 3 wishes: No. 1)live in germany 2) my dream sony DAP And no.3) ask you any wishes i want so infinite wishes HAHA

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2,118 of 3,849

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #2,119 of 3,849
Sony DAP amps vs Chinese DAP amps,

The biggest lament most people have with the Sony DAP's less so with the ZX series vs the A10/20 series is the lack of power (or perhaps more accurately lower output voltage for driving external amps) compared to other DAP's.  There is a big misconception about amplifier power output.  Most people assume that more power is always better.  That is not always and more often then not the case.  Power is not the most important thing in amplifier design output current is.  Current is what drives the drivers in your headphones and woofers and tweeters in your speakers.  Without getting into the different kinds of amp designs in simplest terms lower quality amps tend to be high voltage low current designs which put out lots of power but drive headphones and speakers inefficiently.  The more expensive amps tend to be lower voltage higher current designs which drive headphones and speakers very well while generating less power. 

So what does this mean for Sony DAP's vs other DAP makers.  First off Sony makes tablets and smartphones while most other DAP makers don't.  Tablets and smartphones among other things take advantage of poscap and in some cases oscon capacitors among other things.  These are the latest and greatest in capacitor technology for portable and other devices.  So what is so great about poscaps and oscons vs more traditional capacitors.  Namely ESR (Electrical Surface Resistance), this figure is used to rate the quality of capacitors against each other.  Basically an ideal capacitor has zero surface resistance.  Since every material has some resistance the goal is to design a capacitor with the lowest resistance possible.  Resistance is important because among other things the lower the resistance the less heat that is generated.  The less heat generated the less chance of the capacitor burning out which means longer life expectancy and greater efficiency.  Poscaps  and oscons have two big advantages over other capacitor types the lower resistance already mentioned but also produce higher ripple current. As I already mentioned current not power is the most important thing in driving headphones and speakers.

Sony was able to take what they learned using poscaps and oscons in their tablets and smartphones and apply it to their DAPs. Sony DAPs have higher current lower voltage amplifiers vs most other DAP makers that tend to have higher voltage lower current amp sections.  There is more involved than just the capacitors used like Sony's class D amp design vs A/B and hybrid amp sections in other DAPs among other things.  But in simplest terms Sony's higher current and lower voltage output allows their DAP's to drive your headphones to volume levels comparable to other DAPs with higher power output (more voltage less current).  This is also a major reason why Sony's battery life on their DAP's is far better than all the other DAP's on the market.

Even though the amp design on the ZX100 is basically the same as the A10/A20 the use of oscons vs poscaps on the output stage helps increase the power output.  I am not an expert on capacitors but from what I understand oscons hold the charge longer than poscaps before discharging and this can be used to help increase the output power slightly.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain it better. 

Sony makes it a point of mentioning their use of high grade components in improving their sound quality in their DAP literature.  Less so with the other DAP makers which leads me to believe they are still using older style components.  It is harder for the smaller manufacturers to source the higher quality components at reasonable prices given their lower volumes.

Does this mean that the ZX100 and A10/20 sound better than another comparably priced DAP?  Not better per se but different certainly,  Sony's use of a Class D amp designs helps it produce a leaner and brighter more digital sound.  Class A/B and hybrid amp designs used by other DAP makers tend to produce a warmer and sometimes slightly thicker more organic sound.  So it all depends on the type of sound you prefer.  When I sold audio equipment the higher end products tended to have a warmer thicker sound vs the lower tier products.  But the whole HiRes craze is pushing towards a more leaner and some would say more detailed sound.   I tend to be more middle of the road preferring a compromise between the two.  My brighter sounding A17 paired with a warmer sounding pair of headphones hits the sweet spot for me.

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,120 of 3,849
... The biggest lament most people have with the Sony DAP's less so with the ZX series vs the A10/20 series is the lack of power (or perhaps more accurately lower output voltage for driving external amps) compared to other DAP's.  There is a big misconception about amplifier power output.  Most people assume that more power is always better.  That is not always and more often then not the case.  Power is not the most important thing in amplifier design output current is.  Current is what drives the drivers in your headphones and woofers and tweeters in your speakers.  Without getting into the different kinds of amp designs in simplest terms lower quality amps tend to be high voltage low current designs which put out lots of power but drive headphones and speakers inefficiently.  The more expensive amps tend to be lower voltage higher current designs which drive headphones and speakers very well while generating less power. 

Just so readers would know, Power = Voltage x Current. So it is somewhat contradicting (but not entirely wrong) to say an amp outputting huge current but 'generate less power' - if the output voltage is the same between two amps, the one that outputs more current will definitely output more power. That is usually how most compare power output of two amps (*and into the same load, I might add).

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,121 of 3,849

Just so readers would know, Power = Voltage x Current. So it is somewhat contradicting (but entirely not wrong) to say an amp outputting huge current but 'generate less power' - if the output voltage is the same between two amps, the one that outputs more current will definitely output more power. That is usually how most compare power output of two amps (*and into the same load, I might add).

I tried to give a readers digest version to keep the post from getting to long.  So I missed some stuff (power = voltage x current), voltage being the same between two amps etc.. that would have made it clearer so thanks for filling in the missing information.  Since it is technically more difficult to increase current than voltage higher current amps tend to put out less power especially in portable devices.  As current is what drives your headphones lower power output but with higher current can sound louder as your drivers are driven more efficiently.  Hope my wording is clear, its hard to boil down technical stuff into more layman terms

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #2,122 of 3,849
I tried to give a readers digest version to keep the post from getting to long.  So I missed some stuff (power = voltage x current), voltage being the same between two amps etc.. that would have made it clearer so thanks for filling in the missing information.  Since it is technically more difficult to increase current than voltage higher current amps tend to put out less power especially in portable devices.  As current is what drives your headphones lower power output but with higher current can sound louder as your drivers are driven more efficiently.  Hope my wording is clear, its hard to boil down technical stuff into more layman terms
I am even more confused by your newer post as on a simple circuit voltage = current x resistance and the bulkids of the resistance will come from the 'phones.

I haven't even tried my HD600s directly from the ZX100 as I assummed that it would be pointless but I will give it a go later and let you know how I get on.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #2,125 of 3,849
3k already have Sale, but im not interested with those models, i want the A3 :frowning2:

Nope bro. 50% discount scheme is not their Christmas sales program. This is what I've been talking about:

http://www.3kshop.vn/thong-tin/tin-tuc/chuong-trinh-uu-dai-giang-sinh-va-nam-moi-2016

The best among the Christmas sale is the hifiman HE560, 20% off!

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #2,126 of 3,849
Nope bro. 50% discount scheme is not their Christmas sales program. This is what I've been talking about:

http://www.3kshop.vn/thong-tin/tin-tuc/chuong-trinh-uu-dai-giang-sinh-va-nam-moi-2016

The best among the Christmas sale is the hifiman HE560, 20% off!

i dont like HF products.. too many complain about the build quality.. still waiting for another Sony sale for A3

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #2,127 of 3,849
Just so readers would know, Power = Voltage x Current. So it is somewhat contradicting (but not entirely wrong) to say an amp outputting huge current but 'generate less power' - if the output voltage is the same between two amps, the one that outputs more current will definitely output more power. That is usually how most compare power output of two amps (*and into the same load, I might add).

This is correct. But I may add that not all power is created equally.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #2,128 of 3,849
This is correct. But I may add that not all power is created equally.

Distortion, interferences, and loss information as in analog signals feeding a headphones ? That is quality, sure. But power ? Nah, quality is never equal, but Power is Power...there is no such thing as 20W and not equal 20W lol

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,129 of 3,849
Distortion, interferences, and loss information as in analog signals feeding a headphones ? That is quality, sure. But power ? Nah, quality is never equal, but Power is Power...there is no such thing as 20W and not equal 20W lol

I meant 20W created from lower quality components

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2,130 of 3,849

I meant 20W created from lower quality components

I understood that way,,, maybe @Whitigir was thinking about the law of newton of energy doesn't destroys only transforms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back