SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #43,621 of 45,723
Apparently it got fixed with new fw and now is more balanced and pess bass and more sound stage those are words of @Sonywalkmanuser.

But when I tried it, it was same category like 1z, warm bassy it had amazing vocals !

Bass is fine, but a lot of warmth in the mids is too much with my Phantom. I really think only a totally neutral dap will work with my all of my IEMs. I know Tia Trio and Legend X pair awesome with WM1Z. I also think my A12t, Lola and Angie would pair well. Phantom is the only one that really needs a neutral source.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #43,622 of 45,723
Try to downsample few 96-24 tracks in 44-16 then make a proper ABX test with foobar plug-in for instance. Like that you'll be sure that you have the same mastering. And if you pass the ABX you'll definitely be fixed that you ear 24-96 is better and that it's not a brain issue.

Or just do blind listening with 24-96 and converted 44-16, and pick up the one you prefer. You might be surprised by the result.
Nice link that points out a lot of things.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3798#post-15486474

Thanks for the suggestion and for the link... Will look into it. I definitely want to do a few tests as the ones you suggest. It's both illuminating and entertaining. :)

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #43,623 of 45,723
Yes, there seems to be just slightly more air in places. And this idea of added air has been going on for about two years, so if it’s real or not..........I would rather not know the truth of the matter. Believing it is better (while being maybe scientifically delusional) is still a prefect path for me to travel on. Normally EPs are not my thing but this one is just about 30 minutes long but great consistent quality, and recording art. I would guess anyone who is even remotely familiar with Epica would love it. Albums can be too long at times, here it’s a complete statement.

You're completely right. I mean, ultimately this is about enjoyment and it may come from different sources. Whether it comes from real, scientifically-proven facts regarding sound or from perceptions in our brains, it may well make no difference. Enjoy the music. :)

Aug 25, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #43,624 of 45,723
Any WM1x owners here had experience with the SPEAR Labs Triton-1? I love my IER-Z1Rs but the Tritons are sexy as well as boast some great tech.

https://spear-labs.com/pages/the-tech

triton.jpg

Aug 25, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #43,625 of 45,723
Acoustune IEMs have synergy with SONY, give them a listen when you have the chance.

Aug 25, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #43,626 of 45,723
Any WM1x owners here had experience with the SPEAR Labs Triton-1? I love my IER-Z1Rs but the Tritons are sexy as well as boast some great tech.

https://spear-labs.com/pages/the-tech

I have not tried this.
They are using PentaconnEar connectors like Acoustune.
Also Titanium reduce any unwanted reverb in the chamber which make the sound very clean. I have yet to try a silver shell IEM.
Overall the materials used looks nice from the detail page.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #43,628 of 45,723
Z5 is a bass monster. M9 can't match the deep low end rumble you get from Z5 LCP driver. But with the ZX507, the M9 bass is as good as any respectable dynamic driver iem.

The balance armature drivers on the M9 is much improved over the Z5. Z5 balanced armatures still has slight plasticity to it's treble. The M9 BA sounds more metallic like, which makes cymbals sound very crispy.

Soundstage wise, M9 is much more wider and taller, I think M9 doesn't sound in your head at all. Z5 sounds too closed in with some width but no height, you need aftermarket cables to improve it's sound.

Imaging on the M9 is so much better than the Z5. There's no comparsion at all. M9 imaging is the showcase of the iem.

I would recommend getting the M9 over the Z5 especially if you own a Sony balanced walkman. You don't need to get aftermarket cables.
I found XBA-Z5 to.lack on treble, it wanted to give the details need for Hi-res but it struggled..

Same could I say like you for IER-Z1R and even IER-M7.

the M7 and M9 have a hell of a bass , deceiving DD-Like bass, o ly con is its fast decay.

But bass on IER-Z1R wow very textured and controlled and digs deeper than Z5 bass.

In imaging, treble and mid detail from IER-Z1R, as well soundstage wow just outperforms Z5.

Can I say also MMCX is way sturdier on all IER than XBA-Z5

Aug 25, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #43,629 of 45,723
I found XBA-Z5 to.lack on treble, it wanted to give the details need for Hi-res but it struggled..

the M7 and M9 have a hell of a bass , deceiving DD-Like bass, o ly con is its fast decay.

But bass on IER-Z1R wow very textured and controlled and digs deeper than Z5 bass.

In imaging, treble and mid detail from IER-Z1R, as well soundstage wow just outperforms Z5.

While I respect all your opinions, I think the Z5 is the best IEM Sony has come out with thus far. I’ve tried all the above mentioned ones and more. Believe me. I still think Z5 takes the cake. Z1R is a bit clinical and sibilant at times. Z5 is a perfect all rounder and gives me the details I look for. The sheer musicality and live sound feeling you don’t get anywhere else. Especially with the 4.4mm balanced kimber kable paired with the 1A.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #43,630 of 45,723

I have to totally agree with you. At present time I have the XBA-N3, Z5 as well as the IER-Z1R. After getting the IER-Z1R the first thing it reminded me of WAS the Z5. Yet after weeks of ownership and going finally back to the Z5, it is actually found that the Z5 has even more bass than the IER-Z1R. There is less midbass on the IER-Z1R.

But what always happens here is it’s a process of adapting. So when people that just own the Z5 talk about how great it is, I have to agree with their opinion as they have been loving the Z5 for years, thus their brain is adapted to it, and all it does, for better or worse.

Going back to the Z5 I found it just slightly missing in the upper midrange and treble department. Still amazingly the Z5 holds such naturalness and over-all coherency!

You would hardly guess the Z5 is a hybrid as to how they seamlessly blend everything. My least favorite IEM now is the N3 as I find it to have even more bass than the Z5. So people that love the IER-Z1R are finding it very authoritative in the bass.............it’s very detailed across the board. Disputed for it’s overall neutrality and politeness, I still hold the IER-Z1R as my technicality example of an IEM doing it all effortlessly.

I’m curious about the M7/M9 as I have no issue at all with BA bass and find BA flaws to still be totally entertaining as BA bass is faster along with finding some all BA IEMs to hold a nice cohesive display; as it’s all BA technology blending together.

The way to love the XBA-Z5 is use it alone for two weeks and allow the brain to start to get used to the over-all picture is displays. Seeing used ones sell for $200 shows it’s still a value if you can get around the MMCX fragility and wild USB stick-in-your-ear shape.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #43,631 of 45,723
While I really liked the sound on the Z5 I find the Z1R to be superior. Also the Z5 had the worst and most uncomfortable fit of any universal iem I have ever tried.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #43,632 of 45,723
While I really liked the sound on the Z5 I find the Z1R to be superior. Also the Z5 had the worst and most uncomfortable fit of any universal iem I have ever tried.

But the thing is I respect everyone’s opinion as I realize that if I owned the XBA-Z5 and loved it for years, I may have issues in a shop hearing the IER-Z1R. So much of this hobby is adapting to sound and letting the brain slowly accept a sound signature as correct. What I mean is all the benefits of the IER-Z1R could (when new) actually come off as wrong. Actually if I listen to bright all BA IEMs for a week even the IER-Z1R comes off sounding dark? Interestingly you have members in this very thread who ditched the IER-Z1R for the M9. They simply wanted that sound, even if BA reverberations and timbre is less natural. In many ways the trio of XBA-Z5, XBA-N3 and IER-Z1R are actually slow in response due to their DD drivers. The N3 is by far the slowest followed by the Z5 then the IER-Z1R. It’s only when you can mentally adjust to the delay in bass change-ups does it all start to sound correct again.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #43,633 of 45,723
Mine started to break on the left MMCX earpiece after just two disconnects. 1) to use balanced with an adapter made by @Whitigir before this, had used it SE. 2) after getting a proper 4.4mm sony cable.

If it wasn't for this, I would have kept them. I think many times of getting another pair with sony kimber

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #43,634 of 45,723
Fiio M6's volume changing screen. Does it remind you of something?

Screenshot_20200825-095110.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back