SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #43,654 of 45,723
Here is an interesting question as I know the “Z” and ”1” is special in Japanese references toward, so which one is superior in the way it is named ? Is it the Z1 or is it the 1Z ?

Z1 !

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #43,655 of 45,723

The namings are different though.

There are two parts, NW and DMP, and then WM1A/WM1Z (not just 1A or 1Z) and Z1. Also, WM1 is from WM1 Series, similar to A30 Series, A40 Series, A50 Series...

So I would say it's not a thing of Z first and then 1 or vice versa, as the 1 in 1Z is from "WM1 Series" - something like NW-WM1-A and NW-WM1-Z.

I'm not sure what NW stands for, but DMP stands for Digital Media Player.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #43,656 of 45,723
Edit: If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link. Thanks!

Before we start, the things below are actual firmware mods, and not just tunings.
I think someone was asking about some, once upon a time. :)

logow.png

1. WM1A/Z+
Different sound than the stock firmware.

Features:
- switching the model (from "Settings" > "Device Settings")
- improvements to the sound for both WM1A and WM1Z
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- improved battery life
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)

- WM1A/Z++
Same as WM1A/Z+ from above, but also with a little increased volume output, with no distortion.

How to:
First install the firmware, and then go to "Settings", "Device Settings", "Reset/Format/Model Switcher",
and then choose "Switch Device Model". After switching the model, install this firmware again, in
order to fully apply the new model's sound signature.

Switching the model is not mandatory, as the mod brings sound improvements for both players.

The process of switching the model takes about 1 or 2 seconds, and then the player will restart
automatically. You can always see what is your current model by going to "Settings" > "Unit Information".

2. CHAMELEON
Stock sound, with the possibility to switch the model between 1A and 1Z.

CHAMELEON is a totally separate and independent firmware mod. Installing CHAMELEON after you
installed WM1A/Z+, will just replace WM1A/Z+. They do not work together or anything like that.

Features:
- switching the model (from "Settings" > "Device Settings")
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI

How to: First install this firmware, and then go to "Settings", "Device Settings", "Reset/Format/Model Switcher",
and then choose "Switch Device Model". After switching the model, install this firmware again, in
order to fully apply the 1Z sound signature to your 1A.

The process of switching the model takes about 1 or 2 seconds, and then the player will restart
automatically. You can always see what is your current model by going to "Settings" > "Unit Information".

1.1 - LINK
1.2 - LINK
1.3 - LINK

Frequently Asked Questions (for any mods in this post)

- How do I get back to stock firmware?
First make sure you switched back to the original model for your player, and then just install the stock
firmware of your choice.

- Do I need to be on version 3.02 before installing one of the mods?
No, you do not.

- If I am already using one of the two firmware mods, do I need to first switch back to 1A or
to 1Z, and then I can install any new versions of the mods?

No, you can just go ahead and install new versions of the mods, when/if they appear, unless
specified otherwise.

- If I am using the "WM1A/Z+" firmware and I want to try the "CHAMELEON" firmware, do I first need
to switch the model back to original?

No, you can just install the other firmware and that's it. Just remember that for going back to stock,
you should first switch to the original model for your player.

- What happens if I switch the model, but then I don't install the firmware again?
Nothing wrong will happen. The sound might not be the same as if installing the firmware again though.
Feel free to experiment, but the recommendation is that you should install the firmware again after
switching the model.
If you were on 1Z, and then you switch on 1A and you don't install the firmware again, the sound will mainly be the one of 1A, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1Z sound.

Same goes if you are on 1A, then you switch to 1Z, but then you don't install the firmware again. The sound will mainly be the one of 1Z, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1A sound.

- How can I restore the original "Certificates" images (for previous versions of the mods)
If you used previous versions of the mods (pre 1.3), install the "Restore Certificate images" update, available
in the link below.

If going from 3.02/3.01/3.00 to 1.20, you will have to "Reset All Settings" (this will not reset hours played) and you
will also have to "Rebuild Database" (from Settings > Device Settings). This is not because of the mods, but
because of differences between the 3.0x versions and the 1.20 version.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Thanks for everyone who tried this while in earlier stages!

Hope you'll enjoy!
@MrWalkman Any chance for the mac installer to be updated? it gives same error and manually launching "softwareUpdateTool" does not do the trick this time. FWIW, Sony new 3.0.2 update tool for Mac has been updated and can be launched from Catalina. (I am on Catalina IMac 27 late 2015 model).

Thank you.

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #43,657 of 45,723
@MrWalkman Any chance for the mac installer to be updated? it gives same error and manually launching "softwareUpdateTool" does not do the trick this time. FWIW, Sony new 3.0.2 update tool for Mac has been updated and can be launched from Catalina. (I am on Catalina IMac 27 late 2015 model).

Thank you.

@Lookout57 is currently taking a look at the one for ZX300, maybe he can also give this one a look.

Regarding Catalina compatibility, is there an official source specifying that there is a new installer available? Sony's update page does not mention anything new.

Screenshot_20200825-152409_Chrome.jpg

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #43,658 of 45,723
When I create a playlist through the device or through the Music Center App, the selected songs doesn't get sorted alphabetically. Is there any way to do that?

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #43,659 of 45,723
When I create a playlist through the device or through the Music Center App, the selected songs doesn't get sorted alphabetically. Is there any way to do that?

I have never used playlists but I would assume that they appear in the order they were added to the list

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #43,660 of 45,723
I dis create playlists on sony Mediago and songs are played on the order I specified on the playlist. I no longer use playlists as these walkmans have composer listing

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #43,661 of 45,723
So for portable storage capacity, how much is enough for everyone? 256GB UHS II vs 512GB UHS I vs 1TB UHS I are my choices.

Edit: And yes, I’m still eyeing a WM1A, a WM1Z, a next gen WM1Z, or a ZX507, I’m just not willing to give up the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. It just struck me, why not both?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #43,662 of 45,723
So for portable storage capacity, how much is enough for everyone? 256GB UHS II vs 512GB UHS I vs 1TB UHS I are my choices.
I have all my music in it's original format and resolution, spreaded across three mSD cards
1TB, 512GB and 400GB

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #43,663 of 45,723
I haven’t used my full 256GB. Maybe 40GB and I’m ok with that

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #43,664 of 45,723

Thank you.
I am working on fixing the issue with the Installer Collapsed issue.

As for Catalina support, I've described why it doesn't work many times previously.

To recap, the Sony installer will not run on Catalina due to Sony not updating their USB driver. Apple warned them about this starting back at WWDC 2017 and confirmed at WWDC 2019.

Your only choice it to run Mojave or earlier versions of macOS natively or in a VM. You can also run Windows 10 in a VM.

Note: Microsoft allows anyone to download the Windows 10 Installer ISO and install it without a key. For the first 30 days all features work. After that 95% of the features still work and you will get occasionally nag screens to buy a key that you can ignore.

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #43,665 of 45,723

Edit: And yes, I’m still eyeing a WM1A, a WM1Z, a next gen WM1Z, or a ZX507, I’m just not willing to give up the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. It just struck me, why not both?
I have 1TB cards in all of my WM1 and only have 37GB free. This is for 11,517 tracks that are a mix of mainly FLAC (16/44.1 - 24/192) and some DSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back