SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #43,636 of 45,723
Sony wanna be

Things like this are just perpetuating stereotypes, like the "Chinese companies copying stuff from other devices" one.

At the same time, FiiO are making good devices. I used BTR3 and M11 Pro, and I currently have the BTR5.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #43,637 of 45,723
Things like this are just perpetuating stereotypes, like the "Chinese companies copying stuff from other devices" one.

At the same time, FiiO are making good devices. I used BTR3 and M11 Pro, and I currently have the BTR5.
I had one fiio DAP in the past, the original x3, that little thing had Power . In the IEM dept have tried one, disappointed, returned after a week of purchase, the infamous FA7

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #43,638 of 45,723

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #43,639 of 45,723
So, @MrWalkman , suddenly I feel the need to install a new MODDED firmware. Any idea when it will be released? There’s nothing like installing and enjoying a MODDED firmware. It just satisfies the soul and mind like melted chocolate.

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #43,640 of 45,723
So, @MrWalkman , suddenly I feel the need to install a new MODDED firmware. Any idea when it will be released? There’s nothing like installing and enjoying a MODDED firmware. It just satisfies the soul and mind like melted chocolate.

Always trying to look into bringing more interesting stuff to our devices. As soon as something new and exciting will be available, I won't keep you waiting for too long :wink:

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #43,641 of 45,723
Always trying to look into bringing more interesting stuff to our devices. As soon as something new and exciting will be available, I won't keep you waiting for too long :wink:
Well noted. Looking forward to your new super ultra MODDED firmware to be released.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #43,642 of 45,723
Well noted. Looking forward to your new super ultra MODDED firmware to be released.
Hoping for one down the road for the TA and DMP-Z1. The 1A has been awesome so far

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #43,643 of 45,723
Hoping for one down the road for the TA and DMP-Z1. The 1A has been awesome so far

Without owning the device, there's little to no chance.

While experimenting with the firmware on WM1A, I bricked the player many times. I can't risk bricking someone else's device, and then also try unbricking it remotely, meh.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #43,644 of 45,723
Without owning the device, there's little to no chance.

While experimenting with the firmware on WM1A, I bricked the player many times. I can't risk bricking someone else's device, and then also try unbricking it remotely, meh.
One can still hope :)

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #43,645 of 45,723
I do support Sony products like you. I am against modify proprietary software without permission though, it is unethical act.

Fair enough, equally stop with the asinine threats. If Sony had any issue with the small minority of what can be best described as it's staunchest followers, Sony would have acted already, frankly several years ago. Nobody is looking to usurp or abuse Sony's IP rather more simply get the very best from what Sony provides.

Personally I'm of the opinion that Sony leaves the system open to see exactly what will develop, as who better than the educated/experienced users to show the way forward. Then Sony can apply it's own unique magic that we all love. As ever in life there's sheep and theirs wolves...

Q-6

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #43,646 of 45,723
Sony Z5? Use home only, in attic without children around.
Here are cons from HF reviewers:
- Demands power
- Fit might be awkward for some
- Fiddly MMCX connectors
- Below average isolation
- MMCX connectors that kinda sucks, Not really suitable for outdoor use, have to buy a $100 separate cord for upgraded sonics.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #43,647 of 45,723
Sony Z5? Use home only, in attic without children around.
Here are cons from HF reviewers:
- Demands power
- Fit might be awkward for some
- Fiddly MMCX connectors
- Below average isolation
- MMCX connectors that kinda sucks, Not really suitable for outdoor use, have to buy a $100 separate cord for upgraded sonics.

I'd also add - turn all the lights off as well :beyersmile:

As a Z5 owner, the 1A is calling me - sometime later in the year I'll try and buy one. This has been a great thread to follow in the background, amazing how these players have held up over time.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #43,648 of 45,723

Then we have Samsung Note and Xiaomi Note, also iOS and EMUI or MIUI. There is no patent protection in China, but they are well protected by Chinese Commies Party.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #43,649 of 45,723
I do support Sony products like you. I am against modify proprietary software without permission though, it is unethical act.

Well it’s not like Sony are suffering or being ripped of or deprived of sales, if anything this might increase sales of the players marginally. After all the only people who benefit from these modded fw and tunings are people who have already paid Sony and own the players and nobody are selling the fw. But yes you are right that strictly speaking it is illeagal and against Sony’s terms.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #43,650 of 45,723
Well it’s not like Sony are suffering or being ripped of or deprived of sales, if anything this might increase sales of the players marginally. After all the only people who benefit from these modded fw and tunings are people who have already paid Sony and own the players and nobody are selling the fw. But yes you are right that strictly speaking it is illeagal and against Sony’s terms.
You see a lot more people coming here and saying they want to buy the 1A, suddenly, because of this firmware. So it looks like a win for them for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back