SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #43,591 of 45,723
Hmm when I listen to 1z and hugo2 with ier-z1r maybe a year a go.

To me 1z was warm lush yes. But I didn't find Hugo 2 to be clinical or cold.... to me ibasso dx200 is exactly that! I hate that signature.

Hugo 2 was bassy neutral nearing 1a sound signature more then 1z.
But it was still neutral naturalish some what. Though not to a point like you say cold and analytical. It is very transparent I do agree on that
I get what you say.
DX200 is in the same category than Hugo 2 for me, that is what I call cold restitution. But I agree that Hugo 2 sounds more natural, and bass texture is incredible.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #43,592 of 45,723
I get what you say.
DX200 is in the same category than Hugo 2 for me, that is what I call cold restitution. But I agree that Hugo 2 sounds more natural, and bass texture is incredible.

Yep ibasso dx200 gout amer lol
Hugo 2 is more delicate tasty, un bon croissant avec un ptit esspresso 😁😄

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #43,594 of 45,723
Try to downsample few 96-24 tracks in 44-16 then make a proper ABX test with foobar plug-in for instance. Like that you'll be sure that you have the same mastering. And if you pass the ABX you'll definitely be fixed that you ear 24-96 is better and that it's not a brain issue.

Or just do blind listening with 24-96 and converted 44-16, and pick up the one you prefer. You might be surprised by the result.
Nice link that points out a lot of things.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3798#post-15486474

Just a piece of advise. When up or down sampling stick to multiples of the same base clock so down sampling a 96 file do it to 48 and not 44 whereas down sampling a 88 file should be to 44.

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #43,596 of 45,723
Funny thing just happened, I decided to keep the LPGT anyway. I called the store and reclaimed my property lol. I’m always second guessing. But in this case I’ll keep the LPGT and perhaps pick up a Sony Walkman later on for sound signature choices. I didn’t give the LPGT a full demo yet and I do very much like what I am hearing so far, the LPGT has a great feature set, it’s just the grass is always greener thing. And the Sony WM1Z gold is sooo pretty. I did figure one thing out though, I’m done lusting after Chord products. They just never seem to be what I am ultimately after no matter how much DAC magic Chord has.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #43,597 of 45,723
Just joined this forum and wanted to say thank you for this software! I was debating long and hard between WM1A and Z, stuck with 1A and your software, sounds great and saved a lot of $.
Will be buying you a beer as well!

Really appreciate the beer, man :wink:

t-shirt-the-simpson-cinema-serie-tv-have-no-fear-have-a-beer-z.jpg

I'm glad you like the sound, I think it sounds awesome!

Keep an eye out on the forum from time to time. Small updates may come out, like one that will make the player show a battery low icon when you try turning it on when there is not enough power left, for example.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #43,598 of 45,723
I’m not so sure you will like them? I went through a phase and purchased a couple well regarded high end earbuds as well as a couple classic known ones, but that phase has passed. They really do have a quality different from IEMs, headphones or speakers; they are their own thing. Still they are missing bass. The situational awareness is better with them though. I really did enjoy my phase loving them. You may like them better than anything, some do. There have been stories of folks selling all their headphones and IEMs just to use earbuds. My reviews are super super positive as that was what I was into at the time. None the less it was a great detour on the journey?

Here are a couple historic and elated reviews I’ve done on some I liked a couple of years ago. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kube-2.22577/reviews#item-review-19001

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/edifier-k180.22349/reviews#item-review-18480

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/se...eadphones-blue.8620/reviews#item-review-19234

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cubu-earbud.22334/reviews#item-review-18417

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/musicmaker-ting.21430/reviews#item-review-17859

Yes, I am aware the possibility of lacking bass and well, the main problem I have is the fit, they fall and fall, must tape thwm to my ears lol. No matter which size they just don't fit my earlobe

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #43,599 of 45,723
They just never seem to be what I am ultimately after no matter how much DAC magic Chord has.
Same here! Chord and AK just never ticked in my mind , despite that I kept giving them “test spin”. I still remember the last time I Demo the most expensive of Chord, the DAVE....that was when I ended up with DMP lol!!

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #43,600 of 45,723
Yes, I am aware the possibility of lacking bass and well, the main problem I have is the fit, they fall and fall, must tape thwm to my ears lol. No matter which size they just don't fit my earlobe

I don't remember the model number anymore, but these Sony buds sound really great (given the form factor) and are light/comfortable. I'm sure they're likely dirt cheap nowadays so might be worth checking out.

sonybuds.jpg

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #43,601 of 45,723
I don't remember the model number anymore, but these Sony buds sound really great (given the form factor) and are light/comfortable. I'm sure they're likely dirt cheap nowadays so might be worth checking out.

I've learnt to fit air-tight IEMs like IER-M7 but never to fit an earbud haha

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #43,602 of 45,723

I went and found the original MX500 Sennheiser that has had the form factor copied by so many including Edifier as well as VE Monk. The best part is that they are cheap in general. Most are $15-$20 with the expensive ones being $200. After exploring I did learn a lot. Actually there is a quality which is special to them, so you can understand people’s preference to them over anything? Many fit different but my biggest revelation was every foam made created a very different sound. So if you find a product (maybe the new FiiO) which offers a giant selection of foam covers, you can actually adjust the sound, maybe more than IEM tips do?

The new FiiO is a lot like the Kube which I reviewed back in 2017. They can made a bigger driver to try and increase the bass.

0B07AF87-E571-4CD8-8C31-882ECE46D483.png

The Edifier P180 are actually fairly well rounded performers at $15. Earbud life is staggeringly low cost!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #43,603 of 45,723
Really appreciate the beer, man :wink:

t-shirt-the-simpson-cinema-serie-tv-have-no-fear-have-a-beer-z.jpg

I'm glad you like the sound, I think it sounds awesome!

Keep an eye out on the forum from time to time. Small updates may come out, like one that will make the player show a battery low icon when you try turning it on when there is not enough power left, for example.

That would be freaking awesome 👍, sometimes I think sh#t why is this thing not turning on after the hardware mod 😂
As you'll know even with the power lead in you have to wait like 10-20 mins before it comes on 🙈 from a too low battery.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #43,604 of 45,723
That would be freaking awesome 👍, sometimes I think sh#t why is this thing not turning on after the hardware mod 😂
As you'll know even with the power lead in you have to wait like 10-20 mins before it comes on 🙈 from a too low battery.

Yep, with the coming change, when connecting the USB cable to a battery empty player, another image will show up, signifying that the battery is empty and that it's charging, and once there will be enough power, the player will turn on like usually.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #43,605 of 45,723
Yep, with the coming change, when connecting the USB cable to a battery empty player, another image will show up, signifying that the battery is empty and that it's charging, and once there will be enough power, the player will turn on like usually.

Perfect 👍 love it! that will definitely be massively helpful for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back