SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #42,752 of 45,723
Guys I think we have to put things in context.

So far the Chinese people never took offence to anyone calling their Chinese made hifi products by the short form name of Chi-fi. If they were offended, I am pretty sure you would have heard about it in the news. Case in point: Winnie the Pooh.

but for the Japanese people, the word JAP has historical racial/ethnic slurs:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
There is ONE human race! Several people for sure, but only one human race! But that's out of topic.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #42,753 of 45,723
Speaking of great earphones at affordable prices

@Redcarmoose

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-mx500-lightweight-in-ear-headphones-blue.8620/reviews

I fondly remember how good these were back in my Mindisc player days in the YR2000s. I had a sharp 1bit digital amp MD player that really sounded great with the mx500.

The Sharp 1bit digital amp has a horrendous hiss if you compared to what Sony S-Master HX sounds now. But it has a really good bass, digital amps always has something special with bass.

Guess I should source for one of these mx500(or something alternative) along with a pair Koss Sporta Pros for nostalgia memories.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #42,755 of 45,723
Speaking of great earphones at affordable prices

@Redcarmoose

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-mx500-lightweight-in-ear-headphones-blue.8620/reviews

I fondly remember how good these were back in my Mindisc player days in the YR2000s. I had a sharp 1bit digital amp MD player that really sounded great with the mx500.

The Sharp 1bit digital amp has a horrendous hiss if you compared to what Sony S-Master HX sounds now. But it has a really good bass, digital amps always has something special with bass.

Guess I should source for one of these mx500(or something alternative) along with a pair Koss Sporta Pros for nostalgia memories.

There may still be a MX500 around but there is also a lot of fake ones?

Though I can almost guarantee you they will not sound like you remember them to sound.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #42,756 of 45,723
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #42,757 of 45,723
I have a pretty good idea how the menus are made, but I was not able to modify them yet. Once I'll be able to do that, we can also change destinations from the menu, yes, exactly like how we're changing the model at the moment.

look forward to it! I’ll definitely send you more beer when that happens! :relaxed:

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #42,759 of 45,723
The rascism topic is a very sensitive one and as simple as it seems is also quite complex and like religion and politics possibly ends up opening a large can of worms that may only end poorly.
It is not that I don't care but may I suggest to avoid any dramas we can keep on topic and get back to arguing about whether cables and file formats make a difference, and if the 1A with the new firmwares are better than the 1Z.
** at the time of this post my reaction score was 666 🤘

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #42,760 of 45,723
Since some people are offended by the label C**-fi, what do we want to call these products of questionable quality and/or origin?

How about we call it Cheat-fi for cheaters stealing designs and selling knockoffs that can mislead the uninformed?

Or even Cheap-fi for inferior products sold on eBay and other online sites. Not that all sold products sold there are inferior, one has to be careful and set expectations on what they are getting.

I bought a silver IEM cable on one of those sites based on a recommendation on Head-Fi. I didn't expect much based on where it was coming from and the price. I bought it as an experiment to compare against the Campfire Silver cable which was 4 times the price. The cable came with no instructions or obvious markings on what was the left and right IEM connectors. I had to contact the seller to figure it out (they ended up changing the description on the site to say which was which). Then after a couple of months one of the wires going into the 4.4mm connector broke at the solder joint due to poor construction. So maybe we use the name Dispo-fi, since it might not last long. You can buy n number of these cables over the life time of the IEM or of just spend the money up front for better quality. Buyers choice.

Either way, by labeling these products with a name that is not offensive does provide a service so that buyers are aware of what they are purchasing.

Please only reply if you agree and/or have ideas on what to call these products.

If no one replies, then I guess no one really cares about informing people of questionable products and we'll drop this topic.

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #42,761 of 45,723
How about we call it Cheat-fi for cheaters stealing designs and selling knockoffs that can mislead the uninformed?

This sounds perfectly fine, and I agree that we shouldn't ignore this kind of trend, "stealing designs and selling knockoffs". It's real and it really sucks.

I bought cheap stuff that was really good, so not 100% sure about "Cheap-fi" :)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #42,762 of 45,723
please stop with this chi-fi madness , it's boring and not really 1a/z-related

peace

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #42,763 of 45,723
I think we all can agree on this:

Support Reputable Companies that make high quality audio products that has good customer support and warranty.

If you agree Sony is a reputable company please like my video and click on the subscribe button and hit the bell icon.

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #42,764 of 45,723
Seems like DSEE HX AI works differently for devices, it shows as 24bit for xm4, 24bit for Xperia 1 ii while its 32bit for A100.

158637AF-9029-4CA0-99A4-26BF9DDC7875.png

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #42,765 of 45,723
...get back to arguing about whether cables and file formats make a difference, and if the 1A with the new firmwares are better than the 1Z.
** at the time of this post my reaction score was 666 🤘

IMHO...

• Cables (and tips) make a difference but only to the extent that the IEM it's matched with are of high enough "performance" to surface the difference
  • Lossless file formats represent the same data so any sound difference would be due to the specific player's "interpretation" of that data
  • 1A with new firmware is close to the 1Z and is just as enjoyable, but objectively little can be said about it being better in use (aside from maybe 1A is lighter for transport)
:nerd:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back