SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #42,721 of 45,723
Whoa whoa guys. Let’s not start something here. Chi fi or whatever fi is meant for your enjoyment and relaxation. Don’t let this little issue ruin our camaraderie here. Chill guys and enjoy the music. God bless everyone in the world, from wherever you’re from.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #42,722 of 45,723
I have no problem with anyone who name their company the way they want. I do have problem with people, starting out branding, making up words, and use in racial slur “Chī-Fi”....is there any one who named their company that ? From whom did that term “Chi-Fi” originated from ? and why would anyone support it ? That is beyond me

Why Chi-Fi and not Jap-Fi and French-Fi too ? While you are at it. I am only asking a fair question.

In my next review (which actually comes from China) I’ll probably not use the word as I read now that you and others see it as derogatory.

I’m still not going to go back and revamp the 2 or 3 other reviews which contain the term. I actually had no idea it was looked at that way?

Also I’m actually right now at a point of confusion as how would the burst of influx of Chinese IEMs (starting around 2018) and DAPs be categorized?

Eastern made? Oh that’s racist then too, in this style of thinking. You have to realize that it was a quick slang which was an easy way to generalize the origins of products. There may be no other way to say it? Is “Chinese Made” in simple use of the term racist too? There is no way to go with this? Also I live in Asia and have an Asian wife, so it pretty much makes me the farthest thing from anti-Asian?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #42,723 of 45,723
I guess there are a lot of human biases around

I'm not saying they don't have good quality products, but the thing that they also have low quality products didn't just originate from nothing, right?

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #42,724 of 45,723
I'm not saying they don't have good quality products, but the thing that they also have low quality products didn't just originate from nothing, right?
Yeah but Low quality products can be had from anywhere in the world. I’ve had crap products made right here in Malaysia or even from the us. It’s just that because the population and the number of businesses in China far surpass that of any other country and therefore lots of products that are sub par come out to the market and ruin it for the rest of them.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #42,725 of 45,723
Yeah but Low quality products can be had from anywhere in the world. I’ve had crap products made right here in Malaysia or even from the us. It’s just that because the population and the number of businesses in China far surpass that of any other country and therefore lots of products that are sub par come out to the market and ruin it for the rest of them.

A lot of things were coming from China at some point, you could look at everything and see "Made in China", and also notice how cheap it was, when it was the case. I guess this is why Chinese products got that reputation.

I noticed this the most in 2000s.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #42,726 of 45,723
I guess you can use it to group those but I feel like it does carry some negative quality regarding its origin. In fact, I bought few KZ iems for curiosity of their designs and I was actually impressed for the sound quality by paying a small fraction of the flagship price

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #42,727 of 45,723
Back to Firmware discussion on our particular DAPs? Any updates @MrWalkman

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #42,728 of 45,723
I will give you an example. For the sports I do, some high-end pro equipement can cost more than a car while most of the big brands produce them in China. So I can buy the same products in China for only 1/10th of the price of the big brands.

What are you going to do with “French” or “Japan” products? You might as well stick to the big brands since you pay the same money and get superior quality (since the best in the world use official equipment from the big brands).

There is absolutely nothing racist about the “Chi” label. It is a positive association in the market place for getting high-end products at a very afforable price for most people.

This is quite the learning experience. It turns out that whatever the word means to the user, it’s important not to use a word which effects the listener. Especially in a social context when you don’t want to be derogatory in the first place. Basically it does not matter what the word means to you, your getting a different point across which is not your goal in the beginning.

I will stop using the term.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #42,729 of 45,723
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #42,730 of 45,723
Just to reshare this:

My five year old ZX2 Walkman still holds charge really well. It still maintains a 24day idle standby time. This should indicate the component quality of the Japanese designed Walkman.
EC6CAA12-C6FB-48DB-A4E2-2AC68859A824.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #42,732 of 45,723
Tell me, why don’t you also use the word “Jap-Fi” or “French-Fi” ?

First, I never used "Chi-fi" or any other similar term.
Second, it's funny that you assumed that "Chi-fi" is referring to the Chinese people, which is not. The term is referring to the market of origin. The market of origin is not the same thing as the Chinese people.

Sure, now some people will stop saying "Chi-fi", just because some people like yourself are making everything about race and stuff like that. I personally don't care by the way, as I didn't use this term anyway, but still, the fact that some people have take something and interpret it in different ways, and getting offended.

Also, "China" is not a race, "Asian" is a race - though I really don't care about this, there should be a clear distinction between the two, which it seems you are not able to make.

Edit: you have a very funny way of thinking, from interpreting "Chi-fi" as being racist, to asking me to do stuff for the DMP-Z1 while you can't even replace a file in an archive, justifying that as "I don't own the device", when I don't own the DMP-Z1 myself, but I was willing to help though.

I don't need to deal with this type of thinking to be honest, so welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #42,733 of 45,723
First, I never used "Chi-fi" or any other similar term.
Second, it's funny that you assumed that "Chi-fi" is referring to the Chinese people, which is not. The term is referring to the market of origin. The market of origin is not the same thing as the Chinese people.

Sure, now some people will stop saying "Chi-fi", just because some people like yourself are making everything about race and stuff like that.

Also, "China" is not a race, "Asian" is a race - though I really don't care about this, there should be a clear distinction between the two, which it seems you are not able to make.
Edited: not worth it

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #42,734 of 45,723
Guys I think we have to put things in context.

So far the Chinese people never took offence to anyone calling their Chinese made hifi products by the short form name of Chi-fi. If they were offended, I am pretty sure you would have heard about it in the news. Case in point: Winnie the Pooh.

but for the Japanese people, the word JAP has historical racial/ethnic slurs:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back