SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #42,767 of 45,723
Lossless files can be categorized into three types:

No data compression (PCM WAVE or FLAC lvl 0 )
Lightly compressed
Highly compressed (flac lvl 8)

I do think that highly compressed(non-lossy) can sound subtly *worse due to more processing work and memory I/O required to unpack the compressed data. This processing and l/O will generate more electrical noise and cause more power drain on the audio player, which ultimately has some impact on sound quality.

*Again it will all depends on how golden/trained your ears are and how good your equipment and how quiet your environment is, for you to be able to notice the above effect.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #42,768 of 45,723
A quick Q re charging WM1: a 2A charger - is it OK to use, not too high current (amperage)?

Is it the device that draws current from the charger, and not the charger "pushing" current into the device.

So having a 2A charger for a 1A device is actually good. However, having a 1A charger for a 2A device can actually damage the charger, as the device is trying to draw 2A, but the charger can only provide 1A.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #42,769 of 45,723
please stop with this chi-fi madness , it's boring and not really 1a/z-related

peace

Mmyeaaa

I think flac vs wav debat was way more fun

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #42,770 of 45,723
Aug 8, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #42,771 of 45,723
Lossless files can be categorized into three types:

No data compression (PCM WAVE or FLAC lvl 0 )
Lightly compressed
Highly compressed

I do think that highly compressed(non-lossy) can sound subtly *worse due to more processing work and memory I/O required to unpack the compressed data. This processing and l/O will generate more electrical noise and cause more power drain on the audio player, which ultimately has some impact on sound quality.

*Again it will all depends on how golden/trained your ears are and how good your equipment and how quiet your environment is, for you to be able to notice the above effect.

Memory I/O (ie. likely from high-speed memory for buffering) is less likely to be noisy than continual streaming of data from storage. If that's agreed, then a file 10 times bigger will have 10 times the noise. All of this is pure conjecture without knowing the architecture of the DAP, though.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #42,772 of 45,723
So having a 2A charger for a 1A device is actually good.
Good! :) Thanks, mate!
Actually I was listening to my 1A with one bar battery level, 99 volume, high gain, using
3.5mm port as a line out, time went fast,
when battery was drained it showed this warning message and then switched off.

I thought that the "low bat" warnings would appear more in advance to have time to put it on charge.
Then I connected it to a 1A charger, the red lamp lighted up and went off - probably this current wasn't enough,
I don't know.
After that I switched it to 2A and it went charging well.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #42,773 of 45,723
What are people's favorite firmware version these days? I think we need to make a poll

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #42,774 of 45,723
Going to use a water hose analogy:

I think the reason why PCM wave might sound better is because playing back constant streaming data with very low constant processor usage has more consistent and deterministic power draw & system jitter. Think of a water hose that provides consistent water flow pressure, noise generated by from the water flowing out is consistent and not as noticable to the ears

While if you playback something with variability in processor power usage with segment by segment data decoding inside the CPU small L1 &L2 cache, it causes random spikes in power draw & system jitter. Think of it as water hose that has inconsistent/jumpy water flow pressure, thus the noise generated from the water flowing out is spiking/more splashy and noticable to the ears.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #42,775 of 45,723

I think the reason why PCM wave might sound better is because playing back constant streaming data with very low constant processor usage has more consistent and deterministic power draw & system jitter. Think of a water hose that provides consistent water flow pressure, noise generated by from the water flowing out is consistent and not as noticable to the ears

While if you playback something with variability in processor power usage with segment by segment data decoding inside the CPU small L1 &L2 cache, it causes random spikes in power draw & system jitter. Think of it as water hose that has inconsistent/jumpy water flow pressure, thus the noise generated from the water flowing out is spiking/more splashy and noticable to the ears.
Not many music recordings out there being sold as PCM format and converting something else to PCM is not a viable option

Does anyone know the lowest current price possible for SanDisk 1TB Extreme microSDXC?

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #42,776 of 45,723

That's all noise due to the implementation of the hardware though, not because of the file format itself.

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #42,777 of 45,723
That's all noise due to the implementation of the hardware though, not because of the file format itself.

Ultimately the file format has to be decoded and played on a system. Maybe with the current portable hardware technology/software design we have, isn't capable of playing back compressed files without degradation. A powerful x86 desktop processor system might be able to play compressed files without degradation to sound quality. It's all speculation on my part.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #42,778 of 45,723
Ultimately the file format has to be played on a system. Maybe with the current portable hardware technology/software design we have, isn't capable of playing back compressed files without degradation. A powerful x86 desktop processor system might be able to play compressed files without degradation to sound quality. It's all speculation on my part.

I was just trying to help get the thread back on track.... and all I really know is that the WM1s sound damn good! :beerchug:

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #42,779 of 45,723
Although to be objective, Good is relative, just like speed is relative.

To F1 driver, driving at 161km/h(100mph) might be considered to be slow for him.
To a regular driver, driving at 161km/h(100mph) is insanely fast.

Like my niece, she considers apple airpods pro as good sounding
However to me, airpods pro sounds barely acceptable.

Beauty is in the eyes of the holder. And in this case, Quality is in the ears of the tiger!

Also what you think is good now might be poor in the future. For example smartphones, what is considered as super fast in 2015 is now unacceptably slow in 2020.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #42,780 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back