SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #42,781 of 45,723
I’ve only used up 22GB of music in both my players. Guess I’m one of the few who doesn’t see the need to upgrade (yet).

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #42,782 of 45,723
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #42,783 of 45,723
deleted

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #42,785 of 45,723
Hi everyone!

I've just registered to thank MrWalkman for his fantastic Firmware! Have never enjoyed wm1a like this before. More power to you! Have some fun for the Beers I've sent! Cheers!

Really appreciate it, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Are you using WM1A/Z+ or the increased volume version (WM1A/Z++)?

The truth I can see is everyone can edit that XML code stuff, but only one able to modding a UPG firmware. hehe

Yeah, but people had to figure that out themselves. It's not like those who knew about it started "selflessly sharing to benefit the community", except for the resulted product. I think it's called "hypocrisy" on the quote author's part (not your quote, ze3e13).

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #42,786 of 45,723
MrWalkman for his fantastic Firmware! Have never enjoyed wm1a like this before.
Same here.. :) Have been enjoying an 1Z switch and Z+FW.

It was some kind of luck for me to buy my 1A with 3 years "delay" :),
somehow the audophile god had made me catch it just a week before @MrWalkman released his
"digital copy" of 1Z. :)
'cos for me 1A despite its great 3D sound had 1 draweback which I don't like in DAPs sound
signatures - kinda recessed mids = vocals.
Was going to even try 1Z due to that. Now I don't see this need. At least at this point. :)

SONY is a great Co. and they have their full rights to do whatever they want
with their FW but this artificial & I think purposefully made
difference in sound signatures between 1A and 1Z only due to different FW settings..
Well, kinda unfair shall I say.
I do understand they wanted to justify the 2X + price of 1Z.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #42,787 of 45,723

It was some kind of luck for me to buy my 1A with 3 years "delay" :),
somehow the audophile god had made me catch it just a week before @MrWalkman released his
'cos for me 1A despite its great 3D sound had 1 draweback which I don't like in DAPs sound
Was going to even try 1Z due to that. Now I don't see this need. At least at this point. :)

I purchased a 1A as I thought I would walk around with it, and leave the 1Z at home. Now I use the 1A more?

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #42,788 of 45,723

It was some kind of luck for my to buy my 1A with 3 years "delay" :),
Was going to try 1Z due to that. No don't see this need. At least at this point. :)

I myself got my 1A at the beginning of February of this year, so kind of a bit later as well :L3000: I don't see any wrong in that by the way, as the devices are still being made. My own player was made somewhere in September 2019.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #42,790 of 45,723
I myself got my 1A at the beginning of February of this year, so kind of a bit later as well :L3000: I don't see any wrong in that by the way, as the devices are still being made. My own player was made somewhere in September 2019.

Mine was sold new in the end of 2018 I believe. I recently bought it in a mint like new
condition with only 70 hrs "on the clock". :)
Just in time for your magical transformation. :beerchug::gs1000smile:
Again as I mentioned above,
difference in sound signatures between 1A and 1Z only due to different FW settings..
Nevermind, now it's over. :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #42,791 of 45,723
Mine was sold new in the end of 2018 I believe. I recently bought it in a mint like new
condition with only 70 hrs "on the clock". :)
Just in time for your magical transformation. :beerchug::gs1000smile:
Again as I mentioned above,
Nevermind, now it's over. :)

I’ll probably go back to the 1Z more in the future? I’m like a kid in a candy store? It’s just all way too great......thanks to MrWalkman.

But I know for a fact that many will not move from this thread over to the 1A/1Z MK2 thread when new stuff appears. I may not ever need anything more? Sony and MrWalkman made stuff way too good!

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #42,792 of 45,723
I’ll probably go back to the 1Z more in the future? I’m like a kid in a candy store? It’s just all way too great......thanks to MrWalkman.

But I know for a fact that many will not move from this thread over to the 1A/1Z MK2 thread when new stuff appears. I may not ever need anything more? Sony and MrWalkman made stuff way too good!
Dude, to shell out another $3,000 for another high end Sony DAP, I'm good with the 1Z and 1A. They feel like the music treasures I never had as a child. Super spoiled with everything I have in my signature. But I can say for a fact I earned it all through hard work and I still have money save for emergency. But I will say that I truly did WORK HARD for it all, but the results of my fruits of labor are these joyous toys. I feel fortunate to be in such a position. Then again, I took the cheaper route and mostly bought used. But all the equipment I bought I made sure had a warranty. And so far everything is working pristine. Really hope I can continue to share in this hobby with others. I'm thankful to the man upstairs (my way) for what I have, but most importantly, my wife, parents, and puppy to still be a part of my life. To everyone, keep appreciating what you have, even if you can't buy that next item on your shopping radar. It makes sense to just love what we were fortunate enough to get. :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #42,793 of 45,723
Since some people are offended by the label C**-fi, what do we want to call these products of questionable quality and/or origin?

How about we call it Cheat-fi for cheaters stealing designs and selling knockoffs that can mislead the uninformed?

Or even Cheap-fi for inferior products sold on eBay and other online sites. Not that all sold products sold there are inferior, one has to be careful and set expectations on what they are getting.

I bought a silver IEM cable on one of those sites based on a recommendation on Head-Fi. I didn't expect much based on where it was coming from and the price. I bought it as an experiment to compare against the Campfire Silver cable which was 4 times the price. The cable came with no instructions or obvious markings on what was the left and right IEM connectors. I had to contact the seller to figure it out (they ended up changing the description on the site to say which was which). Then after a couple of months one of the wires going into the 4.4mm connector broke at the solder joint due to poor construction. So maybe we use the name Dispo-fi, since it might not last long. You can buy n number of these cables over the life time of the IEM or of just spend the money up front for better quality. Buyers choice.

Either way, by labeling these products with a name that is not offensive does provide a service so that buyers are aware of what they are purchasing.

Please only reply if you agree and/or have ideas on what to call these products.

If no one replies, then I guess no one really cares about informing people of questionable products and we'll drop this topic.
I usually refer to these as counterfeit and knockoff. I have had a fair share of bad quality cables, wires, even counterfeit capacitors from those revered brands and kinds, especially Blackgate .... etc... even damaged my expensive build on other desktops stuff....pulling my hairs out to find and chase the problems which often lead back to a couple transistors being counterfeits. So, trust me, I know and am totally against knockoff/counterfeit. Most of these companies that does cheap knockoff without quality will eventually disappeared, and counterfeit is ....well.... keeps on thriving. The only real ways to know for sure is to dip your toes in and then find out later. Not only users are fooled by counterfeit but also dealers and manufacturers as well :sleeping::thermometer_face:.

The ideas to charge and expose the counterfeits and knockoff is a good one, but we can never expose them enough as they can always rebrands and changes to adapt, they will continue to exist and is a force to wreck with. In facts, giants like AliExpress and Amazon would pay for anyone who can keep these stuff under controls...lol. But as I said, the only way to know is to pay in and play the game

One of the many reasons why I don’t try to use Blackgate for the Walkman EM Hard Modifications is due to them being counterfeit and is flooding the market. Why torture one self when there are many different ways, components, to tune and improve the players Hardware mod, right ?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #42,794 of 45,723
Same here. :) I'll probably give a chance to a 1Z at some point if I encounter a good second hand
one like I had with my 1A a couple weeks ago.
But I need to listen to it first not in a Sony store but better have it
for at least few hours of test, better a few days.
Sony and MrWalkman made stuff way too good!
They have defo made up a great team. :) :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #42,795 of 45,723
Same here. :) I'll probably give a chance to a 1Z at some point if I encounter a good second hand
one like I had with my 1A a couple weeks ago.
But I need to listen to it first not in a Sony store but better have it
for at least few hours of test, better a few days.

They have defo made up a great team. :) :wink:

This whole experience has been way different than any audio experience I’ve had prior. And I was listening to headphones for 30 years before lurking here in 2006. My first audiophile headphone set-up was in 1982. But here there seems to be a mental acclimation process, where it does take days if not a month or two to find the reality of what the players do. The cool part for you was being able to notice the blossoming of tone after leaving the 70hr mark.

The reason this experience is so wild, is I never made a purchase of audio equipment that changed so much for the better. Though keep in mind I purchased the 1Z before 2.0 came out. So it was getting used to the player, burn-in then 2.0 came out. But even before the custom firmwares arrived 3.02 from Sony was way way different than what the players came with. So it’s been this gradual story in sound being told, and each improvement was more unbelievable than the last, to the point of surreal.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back