SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #42,646 of 45,723
I sold my A55, as it didn't get much use and the screen was driving me nuts (too small).

Dony get me wrong it sounds good, but hell my wm1A always takes place #1

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #42,647 of 45,723
that's certainly a survey of the field..... regarding PWM (pulse width modulation) - dimming light is the last thing you can do - as that just makes the slow refresh (on/off) cycle wreak havoc on eyes even more. It's a very wide-ranging problem for a lot of people - many phone reviews have the reason for returns as screen induced migraines. It's a growing problem ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Why-Pulse-Width-Modulation-PWM-is-such-a-headache.270240.0.html ) It's not PWM per-se but they way it's implemented (slow refresh)....unfortunately Sony have screen form with (audio aimed phones) like the Z3. (So do Apple, Samsung) I'm in the last moments of 'cooling off' purchase period for the WM1Z....they only way I can use it is to have it on 100% with two matted screen protectors on the screen. That has hidden the flickering. I've only hit on this solution in the last 24 hours.

The sound is brilliantly engineered (but see my review - best served by @MrWalkman W1 switcher mod in effect WM1Z as WM1A stock). That's why I'm reluctant to let go. 4.4balanced + build etc.

Superb. Attention to audio detail - A+. But the screen ....ahh.h...it's not that you stare at it....but how do you use a product if you have 1TB of FLACs on it and you can scroll them because your eyes are being roasted...

It's the mismatch (in the empathic user design) of sound and screen interface that I find so perplexing...
Enough with the rants on the screen. You are the only person who is complaining about it. No one else here cares. If Sony is ignoring you then it's never going to change,

I have no issues with it. I do find the default brightness is too bright and turn it down to 1 which also saves on batter life.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #42,648 of 45,723
Sony engineer on DSEE Extreme:

Toyo:Yes, on top of that, the "WH-1000XM4" is equipped with "DSEE Extreme" as a new sound quality enhancement function. Yamamoto explains this.

Yamamoto:The "DSEE Extreme" is a further evolution of Sony's original "DSEE HX," a high-quality sound function that has been installed sequentially from Walkmans, wireless speakers, AV amplifiers, etc., released since 2013. "DSEE HX" was a technology to upscale a CD sound source or a compressed sound source to a high-resolution sound source equivalent to high resolution, but "DSEE Extreme" further enhances the high-frequency complement performance to provide high-quality sound closer to high resolution. It will be realized.

What kind of processing did you do to achieve sound quality closer to high resolution?
Yamamoto:With "DSEE HX" and "DSEE Extreme", we are trying to predict and complement the high-frequency signal component that was lost when the music data was compressed from the low-frequency signal component, but it is important here. However, to accurately analyze the low-frequency signal of interest. This is because there are various sounds in the world, such as vocals, percussion instruments, guitars, and pianos, and the characteristics of the sounds are different. For example, vocals do not contain high-frequency signals very much and the rise of the sound is not so fast, whereas percussion instruments have a lot of high-range signals and the rise of the sound is fast. Therefore, in the conventional "DSEE HX", adjusting the sound quality closer to the vocals weakens the percussion instrument, and adjusting the sound quality closer to the percussion instrument has the disadvantage that the vocal becomes unnatural.

So, in the new "DSEE Extreme", we analyze the sound being played back by making full use of the deep neural network (DNN) technology, which is the most advanced AI technology, and for vocals, upscaling for vocals is performed. For percussion instruments, upscaling for percussion instruments can be applied while switching in real time. This has made it possible to enhance the powerful rise of percussion instruments while at the same time making the voice of the vocal beautiful.

Could you also tell us about the background behind this further improvement in sound quality? What motivation led to the birth of "DSEE Extreme"?
Yamamoto:Customers who want high-grade headphones such as the "WH-1000XM4" are naturally obsessed with the sound quality, so the biggest reason is that we wanted to make an evolution that would sound to those people. Personally, I think that music satisfaction is determined by the multiplication of "the number of contents" and "sound quality", but in recent years, with the advent of streaming music distribution service, the former has been considerably satisfied. right. Under such circumstances, we thought that it would be a great added value to enjoy those streaming music distribution services with even higher sound quality.

Also, at the same time, AI technology has a global breakthrough, and I have been able to overcome the problems that have been difficult to solve until now, which is also helping me.

What was the hardest part of developing DSEE Extreme?
Yamamoto:I mentioned earlier that you are making full use of DNN in "DSEE Extreme", but because it says D=deep, it requires extremely large processing power and memory area to operate. In recent years, many services using DNN have appeared, but most of them send data to the cloud instead of the device in front of you and produce results with ample machine power. On the other hand, the "WH-1000XM4" is a compact mobile product, so it needs to be processed in real time, and it is necessary to reduce the processing amount to some extent from the viewpoint of battery life. It was hard to put a high-performance DNN there.

In addition, when building a DNN, we will improve the performance by repeating the process of “learning” using a large amount of data and appropriately “evaluating” the results, but on both sides, we have a music label The power of the Sony Group has been very helpful. Many high-resolution sound sources that Sony Music Entertainment has are "learned" and the optimal algorithm for "DSEE Extreme" is built. In addition to numerical evaluation, subjective evaluation is also important for "evaluation", but we also receive appropriate advice from mastering engineers who are actually involved in sound source production.

How did the mastering engineers at the forefront of music production feel when they heard the sound of "DSEE Extreme"?
Yamamoto:Actually, they also felt the technical problem of "DSEE HX" that I talked about earlier, and it seems that they thought that high-frequency supplementation would not compete with high-resolution sound sources, but "DSEE Extreme" is quite original sound quality. You said that you are approaching. I was very happy with this personally. Of course, you said that it was best to listen to high-resolution sound sources (laughs).

The "WH-1000XM4" can be connected to a music player via the attached cable in a wired manner, and also supports the Bluetooth codec "LDAC" that you can enjoy wirelessly with high resolution sound quality, so if you have a high resolution sound source, you can enjoy the highest sound quality as it is. You can also
Yamamoto:Yes. I hope you can use it properly depending on your own music environment.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/200807/?s_tc=aff_999_0_10_170686&utm_medium=aff&utm_source=001

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #42,649 of 45,723
Enough with the rants on the screen. You are the only person who is complaining about it. No one else here cares. If Sony is ignoring you then it's never going to change,

I have no issues with it. I do find the default brightness is too bright and turn it down to 1 which also saves on batter life.

" No one else here cares" - it's the kind of response that gives forums like this a good name... I found everyone on this tread to be helpful and polite - I think I have been. Helpful and polite - until this response.

I didn't know you could try and appoint yourself Sherrif of Free Thought here.... good luck with that.

" No one else here cares"

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #42,650 of 45,723
I really think that DSEE HX AI is by far the best sounding DSP I have heard. It has the ablity to make music sound more lively and engaging to listen to. The Soundstage enchantment feels natural with any music type(studio, live concert) and that is something other systems cannot accomplish. It is a remarkable piece of work by Sony.

Over the past 30 plus years, I have tried and listen to many upsampling and sound enhancement systems from:

BBE sound enhancement
BBE MP
Creative Labs X-FI 24bit Crystalizer
Dolby Headphones
Dolby Atmos Mobile
Hibiki2 IOS upsampling
Izotope upsampling
Korg Iaudiogate Upsampling
Razer Surround
Sony DSEE HX gen 1(24bit 96KHz)
SOX upsampling
SRS trusurround
Q Sound CD Audio

All of the above exhibited noticable issues ranging from:
Artificial sounding soundstage(strange echoing)
Overpowering bass
Over-processed treble resulting in excessive treble glare
Collapsed Soundstage
Over-smoothening of sound resulting in loss of micro detail
sensaura?

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #42,651 of 45,723
that's certainly a survey of the field..... regarding PWM (pulse width modulation) - dimming light is the last thing you can do - as that just makes the slow refresh (on/off) cycle wreak havoc on eyes even more. It's a very wide-ranging problem for a lot of people - many phone reviews have the reason for returns as screen induced migraines. It's a growing problem ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Why-Pulse-Width-Modulation-PWM-is-such-a-headache.270240.0.html ) It's not PWM per-se but they way it's implemented (slow refresh)....unfortunately Sony have screen form with (audio aimed phones) like the Z3. (So do Apple, Samsung) I'm in the last moments of 'cooling off' purchase period for the WM1Z....they only way I can use it is to have it on 100% with two matted screen protectors on the screen. That has hidden the flickering. I've only hit on this solution in the last 24 hours.

The sound is brilliantly engineered (but see my review - best served by @MrWalkman W1 switcher mod in effect WM1Z as WM1A stock). That's why I'm reluctant to let go. 4.4balanced + build etc.

Superb. Attention to audio detail - A+. But the screen ....ahh.h...it's not that you stare at it....but how do you use a product if you have 1TB of FLACs on it and you can scroll them because your eyes are being roasted...

It's the mismatch (in the empathic user design) of sound and screen interface that I find so perplexing...

Exactly what is this problem ?
I see nothing strange when looking at the screen (which I do very little anyway).

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #42,652 of 45,723
The WM1A is available for 897EUR directly from Amazon.es (has it ever been cheaper?). I feel really tempted to buy one.

Currently I‘m using an A&K SR15 and I really enjoy using it. Yes, battery life is not so good and the UI could be faster, but I like its sound signature and I had plans to get me a SP1000M this summer. But I read sooo many reviews here about WM1Z/A and that people actually fell in love with the warm sound signature of their Sony DAP. I thought I maybe should give it a try.
BUT: I see a major problem (particular for me)! I‘m currently on a TIDAL plan and I like the high-res option there on my favourite music. I don‘t own any digital music at the moment (besides a considerable amount of DRM protected music from iTunes music Store which don‘t listen to anymore since I moved to Spotify and TIDAL). The WM1 is not capable of streaming natively, only in DAC mode with external source, right? That’s a pity, but for me it turned out that I hear the same music over and over again, so I basically could start buying (high-res) music downloads. I don‘t have any balanced cables for my IEMs yet, so this won‘t be a showstopper (replacing 2.5mm cables with 4.4mm ones). Would you recommend me to get a WM1A at this pricepoint?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #42,653 of 45,723
The WM1A is available for 897EUR directly from Amazon.es (has it ever been cheaper?). I feel really tempted to buy one.

Currently I‘m using an A&K SR15 and I really enjoy using it. Yes, battery life is not so good and the UI could be faster, but I like its sound signature and I had plans to get me a SP1000M this summer. But I read sooo many reviews here about WM1Z/A and that people actually fell in love with the warm sound signature of their Sony DAP. I thought I maybe should give it a try.
BUT: I see a major problem (particular for me)! I‘m currently on a TIDAL plan and I like the high-res option there on my favourite music. I don‘t own any digital music at the moment (besides a considerable amount of DRM protected music from iTunes music Store which don‘t listen to anymore since I moved to Spotify and TIDAL). The WM1 is not capable of streaming natively, only in DAC mode with external source, right? That’s a pity, but for me it turned out that I hear the same music over and over again, so I basically could start buying (high-res) music downloads. I don‘t have any balanced cables for my IEMs yet, so this won‘t be a showstopper (replacing 2.5mm cables with 4.4mm ones). Would you recommend me to get a WM1A at this pricepoint?
897 Euro is a very good price. The WM1A is in my opinion dedicated to local stored files (not necessarily high res file). If you prefer streaming, maybe the wm1a is not the perfect choice only for DAC and Bluetooth receiver function... I don't know... But if you are intending to purchase digital files and to playback these on the wm1a, you will surely not regret. And even if you don't like it, there is a big second hand market and 897 Euro is a reasonable price even for a mint pre-owned device. But that's the worst case option....

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #42,655 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #42,656 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #42,657 of 45,723

Many points in his video. Especially the part on content availability of Hi-res music. Also Hi-res audio places more emphasis on the accuracy of the crystal word clock oscillator of your dac. With desktop class DACs, there are many issues that can affect sound quality including the USB controllers.

Why is this video relevant to this Sony walkman thread you might ask. It is because the solution to all the problems above is already addressed by the Walkman in your hand.

Walkman already has highly accurate clock oscillators

Every components and systems inside the Walkman is designed and selected for sound quality in mind and the entire chain is Sony controlled as compared to the jungle of computer audio(Apple, Microsoft, Intel, AMD etc)

And on top of that, you get a highly functional DSEE HX AI that upsamples your MP3 and CD audio content to sounding near Hi-Resolution. So in this sense, you are already getting better sound out of your existing music.

This Walkman you are holding is a technological wonder. It plays music as intended, no worries about jitter, usb cables or ac power hum.

Sorry for sounding like a Sony Salesman.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #42,658 of 45,723
that's certainly a survey of the field..... regarding PWM (pulse width modulation) - dimming light is the last thing you can do - as that just makes the slow refresh (on/off) cycle wreak havoc on eyes even more. It's a very wide-ranging problem for a lot of people - many phone reviews have the reason for returns as screen induced migraines. It's a growing problem
I think you are putting the small screen Sony in the same category as those other devices with bigger screens.
I haven't heard anyone actually complain about these Sony 1a.

I think I have noticed some type of effect on low setting of 1, but that's just not bright enough for me. I think I'm 2 or 3.
:)

Exactly what is this problem ?
I see nothing strange when looking at the screen (which I do very little anyway).
I believe very, very, very few people would notice anything on this tiny screen, unless they knew what to look for.

I think I would suggest those that's are sensitive, to try using polarized glasses and see if that helps.
Although I personally find no issue at all, we should be mindful that such a condition exists for some.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #42,659 of 45,723
This Walkman you are holding is a technological wonder. It plays music as intended, no worries about jitter, usb cables or ac power hum
I believe this aspect is what sets the Sony 1a/z apart from the rest, to give a more solid image and more realism in the sound.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #42,660 of 45,723
I think you are putting the small screen Sony in the same category as those other devices with bigger screens.
I haven't heard anyone actually complain about these Sony 1a.

I think I have noticed some type of effect on low setting of 1, but that's just not bright enough for me. I think I'm 2 or 3.
:)

I believe very, very, very few people would notice anything on this tiny screen, unless they knew what to look for.

I think I would suggest those that's are sensitive, to try using polarized glasses and see if that helps.
Although I personally find no issue at all, we should be mindful that such a condition exists for some.

yes but what is the problem he is experiencing, I still don't understand it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back