SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #42,616 of 45,723
Just my bedtime setup for Z1R with 1A on balance and i enjoy this more than plugging it into a desktop amp.
8E6224A7-C4F0-47A5-BD44-FFD06CEAF357.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #42,618 of 45,723
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #42,619 of 45,723
you should have bought @Vitaly2017 's brand new WM1A for just 675$ (PP fees and shipping included) - whoever got it, got himself a BARGAIN.

just my 2 cents.

Truly a bargain, but I might be leaning toward the LPGT.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #42,620 of 45,723
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #42,621 of 45,723
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #42,622 of 45,723
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #42,623 of 45,723
I have asked already on the MDR-Z1R thread, apologies followers, but I also felt it was appropriate to ask here as it is also relevant to the WM1A.
Through a fortunate twist of fate I ended up with an opportunity to own the MDR-Z1R for a very low price which has made me reassess my simple iem/WM1A set up.
They sound fine together but I feel they should be given a chance to shine with a more powerful output and in the future I would like to get a headphone amp. Before I go all leather chair, top shelf whisky sipping with a serious desktop amp to start off I would like to see if I can achieve benefits with a portable option - 4.4mm would be a bonus, although I will consider other options.
I like my WM1A and prefer to keep the sound so ideally I want to use the 3.5mm as a line out. I've never done it this way before always using the dac/amp together, can anyone please suggest a low priced portable amp that will provide the Z1R an opportunity to stretch it's wings a bit?
Fiio K5 PRO? Fiio Q5/s? Xudoo options? iFi options?

As a WM1A + Z7M2 user who feels that the WM1A has enough power to drive the Z7M2 to ear-piercing levels but not enough to make the Z7M2 to sing, I would suggest that you get a separate amp (portable or desktop) to maximize the performance of the Z1R; you can still retain the WM1A as your source/pre-amp (by using either the 4.4mm/3.5mm HP outs as your "line-out"). I was able to try a WM1Z + Z1R combo many years back (i think it was just a few months after both were first released) and I really wasn't fond of what I heard.

With a proper amp, you can make the earcups of the Z1R "rattle" a bit and actually feel the bass coursing through your head (rather than just hearing it). It's a sensation like no other.

To my ears the best use case of the WM1A/Z are IEMs and very easy-to-drive headphones (e.g., MDR-1AM2).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #42,624 of 45,723
After what I've read, guess I'm one of the few that even while using the TA, I don't use high volumes or rattling music to enjoy. That was a bit of an eye opener. 🤔😳

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #42,625 of 45,723
As a WM1A + Z7M2 user who feels that the WM1A has enough power to drive the Z7M2 to ear-piercing levels but not enough to make the Z7M2 to sing, I would suggest that you get a separate amp (portable or desktop) to maximize the performance of the Z1R; you can still retain the WM1A as your source/pre-amp (by using either the 4.4mm/3.5mm HP outs as your "line-out"). I was able to try a WM1Z + Z1R combo many years back (i think it was just a few months after both were first released) and I really wasn't fond of what I heard.

With a proper amp, you can make the earcups of the Z1R "rattle" a bit and actually feel the bass coursing through your head (rather than just hearing it). It's a sensation like no other.

To my ears the best use case of the WM1A/Z are IEMs and very easy-to-drive headphones (e.g., MDR-1AM2).
Thank you, I appreciate your reply.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #42,626 of 45,723
After what I've read, guess I'm one of the few that even while using the TA, I don't use high volumes or rattling music to enjoy. That was a bit of an eye opener. 🤔😳
Again it is not necessarily about volume. Driven well even at low volumes produces good results.
The Sony XBA-Z5 iems with lower powered sources have a loose bass and just don't sound right, going balanced or a higher powered output really has a noticeable impact on their sound regardless of volume.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #42,627 of 45,723
I posted a few days ago
Again it is not necessarily about volume. Driven well even at low volumes produces good results.
The Sony XBA-Z5 iems with lower powered sources have a loose bass and just don't sound right, going balanced or a higher powered output really has a noticeable impact on their sound regardless of volume.
Indeed, the Z5 shines using it balanced. Single ended doesn’t cut it for the Z5. And hooking it up to the FiiO K5 Pro with the 1A is an ultimate end game setup for me. It just sings so beautifully together.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #42,628 of 45,723
I posted a few days ago

Indeed, the Z5 shines using it balanced. Single ended doesn’t cut it for the Z5. And hooking it up to the FiiO K5 Pro with the 1A is an ultimate end game setup for me. It just sings so beautifully together.
I remember from the picture of your set up you posted - you use 3.5mm to RCA?
If I decide on a desktop this is on my list, Fiio pricing is very reasonable in my country.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #42,629 of 45,723
I remember from the picture of your set up you posted - you use 3.5mm to RCA?
If I decide on a desktop this is on my list, Fiio pricing is very reasonable in my country.
Yes. I use 3.5mm to rca. And the sound of the 1A matches so well with the K5 Pro. For the price it’s really a clean sounding amp that doesn’t color the sound in any way with a superb DAC and power brick that’s designed for Low noise. I listened to a thx aaa amp and still prefer the sound of the FiiO.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #42,630 of 45,723
To bring my volume down on 1a + z7m2 I enable the dynamic volume normalizer in that case it seems to elevate all the lower and quiet parts of the music up and it sounds even and more louder. With that option I can set the volume by 5 clicks lower

But then you totally kill the dynamic range of an album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back