SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #42,631 of 45,723
After what I've read, guess I'm one of the few that even while using the TA, I don't use high volumes or rattling music to enjoy. That was a bit of an eye opener. 🤔😳

Some years ago there were some who stated they never use the WM1 players at higher volume than 10 at most and prefer it at less

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #42,632 of 45,723
But then you totally kill the dynamic range of an album
I kept the connection on direct source ever since you and @Redcarmoose advised me all the positive reasons to do so. Thanks.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #42,633 of 45,723
But then you totally kill the dynamic range of an album

I know this is why I am having driving power issue with my z7m2 headphones.
So either get an amp in between or will have to sell those too sssss 😄

@Gamerlingual I actually kept pushing that very strongly as well. It is the best sound configuration

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #42,634 of 45,723
I know this is why I am having driving power issue with my z7m2 headphones.
So either get an amp in between or will have to sell those too sssss 😄

@Gamerlingual I actually kept pushing that very strongly as well. It is the best sound configuration
Direct sound was also the best option for me until dsee HX AI was made possible by bro @MrWalkman. Never bothered about any of the other DSPs in the 1A except only dsee HX AI now. It’s that good really.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #42,635 of 45,723
sonymalaysiaWH1000xm4.png

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #42,636 of 45,723

So it is likely that Sony can also train it's DSEE AI to remove mp3/AAC compression artifacts from music files?

Welcome to the Matrix guys. That's why I really think Sony is well ahead of other audiophile companies, when it comes to the entire music reproduction system, especially on the software side.

When I arrive at traffic or road junction, will DSEE AI stop playing music? Human can pay attention to traffic.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #42,637 of 45,723
I kept the connection on direct source ever since you and @Redcarmoose advised me all the positive reasons to do so. Thanks.

The thing is no-one should completely not concern themselves with the freedom of using EQ. Direct is great but in rare moments IEMs or headphones may need a sprinkle of EQ. I personally only use EQ on one IEM on a yearly basis.

But!?

The Noble Encore IEM is in use 90% of the time, which works out that I use EQ almost all the time, even though I don’t use it on anything else and believe it can have a risk of adding artifacts. I simply add three notches with the bass tone wheel with the 1A and 1Z but of course not with the TA as there is no EQ option available. So laughably the main Sony desktop besides the DMP-Z1 has zero EQ options.

It’s like being almost to the top of the mountain and you need just a slight help to arrive on top. That’s how it should be used.
91B6F91B-5CD5-4953-B238-76E7C771642F.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #42,638 of 45,723
The thing is no-one should completely not concern themselves with the freedom of using EQ. Direct is great but in rare moments IEMs or headphones may need a sprinkle of EQ. I personally only use EQ on one IEM on a yearly basis.

But!?

The Noble Encore IEM is in use 90% of the time, which works out that I use EQ almost all the time, even though I don’t use it on anything else and believe it can have a risk of adding artifacts. I simply add three notches with the bass tone wheel with the 1A and 1Z but of course not with the TA as there is no EQ option available. So laughably the main Sony desktop besides the DMP-Z1 has zero EQ options.

Because you should not touch that Eq ! LoL sony made sure you dont haha

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #42,640 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #42,641 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #42,642 of 45,723
Or you can always throw in some twinkies and I wont eat you haha

Hostess-Limited-Edition-Tiger-Tails-Twinkies.jpeg

@Lookout57
My gosh, even twinkies has tiger hiding in the background. First time I see that

And it’s called tiger tail twinkies Lol

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #42,643 of 45,723
Direct sound was also the best option for me until dsee HX AI was made possible by bro @MrWalkman. Never bothered about any of the other DSPs in the 1A except only dsee HX AI now. It’s that good really.

I really think that DSEE HX AI is by far the best sounding DSP I have heard. It has the ablity to make music sound more lively and engaging to listen to. The Soundstage enchantment feels natural with any music type(studio, live concert) and that is something other systems cannot accomplish. It is a remarkable piece of work by Sony.

Over the past 30 plus years, I have tried and listen to many upsampling and sound enhancement systems from:

BBE sound enhancement
BBE MP
Creative Labs X-FI 24bit Crystalizer
Dolby Headphones
Dolby Atmos Mobile
Hibiki2 IOS upsampling
Izotope upsampling
Korg Iaudiogate Upsampling
Razer Surround
Sony DSEE HX gen 1(24bit 96KHz)
SOX upsampling
SRS trusurround
Q Sound CD Audio

All of the above exhibited noticable issues ranging from:
Artificial sounding soundstage(strange echoing)
Overpowering bass
Over-processed treble resulting in excessive treble glare
Collapsed Soundstage
Over-smoothening of sound resulting in loss of micro detail

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #42,644 of 45,723
Hi @Whitigir and the rest of WM1'istas....this may be hidden in other 3000 pages....but curious about views on this very tech measure heavy review of the WM1Z.

I come at it with a hearing 'professional' perspective....this is techy......but as there has been pictures of pretty Sony boards....I thought why not.....especially as it's very critical about some of the consequences of that pretty board engineer - especially hiss for very sensitive IEMs. TBF in another review the A&K high ends also do this....

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-nw-wm1z-24-bit

This is what happens when you have a capable reviewer embarrass themself by judging from specific limited measurements, and not enough experience.
So now he says one of the best Dap out (S-O-N-Y-!) is not up to par.
This is obvious bias.
There is so, so, so much more to a dap than this, that member @Sonywalkmanuser is currently posting about and enlightening us.
Showing time and time again, that sony engineers are just simply ahead of the others.

You can have a computer generated sound in a musci album, game or a movie that exceeds the limitations of live recordings and we may evolve to be able to listen to 120+db without hearing damage and wm1z won't be able to take advantage of that
None of this will happen, so your talking about "what if"...
NO ONE is going to evolve to hear 120+DB. Your going to go deaf.
Reality.
NO ONE, is going to waste time making computer sound, that no one will be able to hear (except dogs). Reality.

So with that said the sony is capable of playing hi-res files but is not capable of reproducing hi-res audio regardless of whether the information is available in the file or whether we can hear the difference.
That is speculation on the reviewers part, basing it on one aspect.
For example Chord doesn't focus on this aspect. They focus and talk about their "Taps".
So to me, this is what I would call "nitpicking" on one specific scenario of measument to come up with an assumption.

then saw the comments about shigzeo's opinion,
Opinion is what it is, ONLY his opinion.
so he's not a blind fanboy or just hating on sony for no reason.
Oh yes he is.
It's rediculously obvious when there is no "reasonable" explanation, as mentioned earlier, we don't actually use more dynamic range...

Does anyone think that listening to the MDR-Z1R with 1A/1Z in a quiet environment can make a big difference, despite the closed back nature?
Yes because although it is a "closed back", that cup is actually not dense, or solid.
It's like a paper so why that big headphones is so deceivingly lightweight, and yes sounds from outside leak right thru it.

Still, the Z7M2 might just be my favorite of all my over ear cans, barely. But best overall goes to the IER-Z1R. Need to listen to the MDR-Z1R more before I make such conclusions.
Extended listening straight out of the Sony will reveal the Z1r more technically better and resolving, although a different and larger signature.
:)

really great stuff......if only they did not use Pulse Width Modulation to control brightness on the WM1Z screen -
or used a version with a higher refresh rate that would avoid causing terrible migraines/eye strain....for
I have been reading you posting about this issue, but never what's wrong until now.
I was assuming it interfered with sound because those previous posts somehow alluded to something wrong.
Now I understand that it is only because of looking at screen you can get a headache??!!
This is a non issue to majority of users. It's a smaller screen than a phone as well.

So then just dim the screen or turn off.
Nobody is going to stare at the screen for the duration of a song to get a headache.
I would make sure there is enough ambient light in room to offset any of the screen light to bother, if you're sensitive.

I've never owned the MDR-Z1R. However I've heard the complete opposite from 2 very reliable sources that I spoke to personally at a meetup
Totally disagree...
To me, a very reliable source would mean they own the headphone, and the Sony 1a Dap, and also a good amp.

More power doesn't automatically mean better.
You may get fatigue with the power or the specific (extra) amp sound.
The headphone will sound different for sure.
You may, or may regret it.
You will not gain any more quality than you put in.

Sony Authorized Dealer - Loved the Z1R, but told me flat out not to pair with a Sony DAP, but rather go AK because Z1R needs more power. This dealer does not sell AK so he bought his own at full retail
This is what happens when you listen to others, instead of listening yourself, or people that own the item.
This is all misunderstanding. If you listened to that "fool", then you would be miserable listening on an AK dap, or not knowing better.
You can't go by gossip & generalizations.

I never use an amp with the MDR-Z1R with the 1A. I play it at a volume around 55 on high gain out of 120
I agree it still good and delicacy this way.
The Z1r is a different animal than the rest like 1a & 1am2. It is very very efficient.

I got mdrz7m2 and i am at high gain 80/120 and I find it lacks on amping power. Volume wise is fine but not very powerful as sound. The z7m2 and z1r 100% need an amp with 1a or 1z...

That's depending if you want the full capability of bass impact & control.
Most headphones beninfit, but the Z1r does play very well straight out of the Sony.
My problem is that this headphones has much bass capability, so on an amp the Z1r takes on a monsterous bass character along with a bit more intensity.

I do use balanced and as I have just got them I am enjoying the sound from my WM1A but there are opinions that headphones like the MDR-Z1R can benefit from a higher output (voltage, ampage, impedance?) than Sony daps can provide. Maybe I've misunderstood?
It will change the sound character.
If you like it as is, then it's just a choice.

I think there is a misunderstanding between adequate volume and being driven well.
Agreed, but the resolution is the same. Only the lower spectrum changes with more power.

You may think it is being driven well by the WM1A/Z if you haven't heard the headphones being driven by a significantly more powerful headphone amp before.
The Z1r is more efficient and sensitive than the other models, so it really works well on balanced.
Yes I agree that is become more monsterous/powerful with amp.
Not perfect for every genre though.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #42,645 of 45,723
This is what happens when you have a capable reviewer embarrass themself by judging from specific limited measurements, and not enough experience.
So now he says the best Dap out (S-O-N-Y-!) is not up to par.
This is obvious bias.
There is so, so, so much more to a dap than this, that member @Sonywalkmanuser is currently posting about and enlightening us.
Showing time and time again, that sony engineers are just simply ahead of the others.

None of this will happen, so your talking about "what if"...
NO ONE is going to evolve to hear 120+DB. Your going to go deaf.
Reality.
NO ONE, is going to waste time making computer sound, that no one will be able to hear (except dogs). Reality.

That is speculation on the reviewers part, basing it on one aspect.
For example Chord doesn't focus on this aspect. They focus and talk about their "Taps".
So to me, this is what I would call "nitpicking" on one specific scenario of measument to come up with an assumption.

Opinion is what it is, ONLY his opinion.

Oh yes he is.
It's rediculously obvious when there is no reasonable explanation.

Yes because although it is a "closed back", that cup is actually not dense, or solid.
It's like a paper so why that big headphones is so deceivingly lightweight, and yes sounds from outside leak right thru it.

Extended listening straight out of the Sony will reveal the Z1r more technically better and resolving, although a different and larger signature.
:)

I have been reading you posting about this issue, but never what's wrong until now.
I was assuming it interfered with sound because those previous posts somehow alluded to something wrong.
Now I understand that it is only because of looking at screen you can get a headache??!!
This is a non issue to majority of users. It's a smaller screen than a phone as well.

So then just dim the screen or turn off.
Nobody is going to stare at the screen for the duration of a song to get a headache.
I would make sure there is enough ambient light in room to offset any of the screen light to bother, if you're sensitive.

Totally disagree...
To me, a very reliable source would mean they own the headphone, and the Sony 1a Dap, and also a good amp.

More power doesn't automatically mean better.
You may get fatigue with the power or the specific (extra) amp sound.
The headphone will sound different for sure.
You may, or may regret it.
You will not gain any more quality than you put in.

This is what happens when you listen to others, instead of listening yourself, or people that own the item.
This is all misunderstanding. If you listened to that "fool", then you would be miserable listening on an AK dap, or not knowing better.
You can't go by gossip & generalizations.

I agree it still good and delicacy this way.
The Z1r is a different animal than the rest like 1a & 1am2. It is very very efficient.

That's depending if you want the full capability of bass impact & control.
Most headphones beninfit, but the Z1r does play very well straight out of the Sony.
My problem is that this headphones has much bass capability, so on an amp the Z1r takes on a monsterous bass character along with a bit more intensity.

It will change the sound character.
If you like it as is, then it's just a choice.

Agreed, but the resolution is the same. Only the lower spectrum changes with more power.

The Z1r is more efficient and sensitive than the other models, so it really works well on balanced.
Yes I agree that is become more monsterous/powerful with amp.
Not perfect for every genre though.

that's certainly a survey of the field..... regarding PWM (pulse width modulation) - dimming light is the last thing you can do - as that just makes the slow refresh (on/off) cycle wreak havoc on eyes even more. It's a very wide-ranging problem for a lot of people - many phone reviews have the reason for returns as screen induced migraines. It's a growing problem ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Why-Pulse-Width-Modulation-PWM-is-such-a-headache.270240.0.html ) It's not PWM per-se but they way it's implemented (slow refresh)....unfortunately Sony have screen form with (audio aimed phones) like the Z3. (So do Apple, Samsung) I'm in the last moments of 'cooling off' purchase period for the WM1Z....they only way I can use it is to have it on 100% with two matted screen protectors on the screen. That has hidden the flickering. I've only hit on this solution in the last 24 hours.

The sound is brilliantly engineered (but see my review - best served by @MrWalkman W1 switcher mod in effect WM1Z as WM1A stock). That's why I'm reluctant to let go. 4.4balanced + build etc.

Superb. Attention to audio detail - A+. But the screen ....ahh.h...it's not that you stare at it....but how do you use a product if you have 1TB of FLACs on it and you can scroll them because your eyes are being roasted...

It's the mismatch (in the empathic user design) of sound and screen interface that I find so perplexing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back