SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #42,586 of 45,723

3min 55sec, they can train AI to remove JPEG compression artifacts from photos files.

So it is likely that Sony can also train it's DSEE AI to remove mp3/AAC compression artifacts from music files?

Welcome to the Matrix guys. That's why I really think Sony is well ahead of other audiophile companies, when it comes to the entire music reproduction system, especially on the software side.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #42,587 of 45,723
Yeap, DSEE AI is really good. Even works well on some FLAC too. It's noticeable better than DSEE HX. Wonder why this feature got lock away from us?

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #42,588 of 45,723

Posting it here for the Sony lover, it’s probably gonna be about the WH1000xm4 And their 360• Audio thing, but who knows, maybe there’s another Signature series member for 2020.
The only ones missing are Open back full-size and bigger speakers (and their proper amp companion)
Or maybe a WM1 series successor? Now with android and also with no battery demerit? who knows.

Nice we got a new mx4 model!
And it has dsee hx extreme !

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #42,590 of 45,723

3min 55sec, they can train AI to remove JPEG compression artifacts from photos files.

So it is likely that Sony can also train it's DSEE AI to remove mp3/AAC compression artifacts from music files?

Welcome to the Matrix guys. That's why I really think Sony is well ahead of other audiophile companies, when it comes to the entire music reproduction system, especially on the software side.

Mmm maybe not, Cowon has had the similar MP Enhance in their daps for as long as I can remember to 'Restore and enhances the harmonics lost through compression'

They also give you a GUI on the DAP to the DSP instead of messing around with xml files.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #42,591 of 45,723
Nice we got a new mx4 model!
And it has dsee hx extreme !

I am disappointed with it, so I will just keep using my MX2s. I did not upgrade to the MX3 and thought I would wait for the MX4. None of the new features apply to me. They sound identical to the MX3 from reviews, so not enough change to justify buying them if I did not buy the XM3. Besides, still saving for a dap.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #42,593 of 45,723
I am disappointed with it, so I will just keep using my MX2s. I did not upgrade to the MX3 and thought I would wait for the MX4. None of the new features apply to me. They sound identical to the MX3 from reviews, so not enough change to justify buying them if I did not buy the XM3. Besides, still saving for a dap.

Why not. It has new dsee hx extream.

Much Better improved pads.

Maybe a better noise cancelling effectiveness with improved sound quality as I understood.

What I found funny is it has BRAIN assistance lmao

Oh I think they said its a lighter headset too

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #42,594 of 45,723

Maybe a better noise cancelling effectiveness with improved sound quality as I understood.

It's 1 gram lighter than XM3 and should in all aspects be better than the previous models, but also 20-30% more expensive than XM3

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #42,595 of 45,723

I only use mine on airplanes and I don't fly often anymore. I may end up getting them, but then I would have $350 more to have to save for my next dap. It will be after my next dap before I get them unless I want to use the over $400 in gift cards I can get from my Shop Kicks app along with selling my XM2 phones.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #42,596 of 45,723
Mmm maybe not, Cowon has had the similar MP Enhance in their daps for as long as I can remember to 'Restore and enhances the harmonics lost through compression'

They also give you a GUI on the DAP to the DSP instead of messing around with xml files.

The difference is in the use of AI, Cowon is based on fixed function dsp algorithms while Sony is AI trained using hi-res master files from their music label which means the upsampling/EQ algorithms is constantly changing according to the music instruments/content.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #42,597 of 45,723
It's 1 gram lighter than XM3 and should in all aspects be better than the previous models, but also 20-30% more expensive than XM3

Haaa this is 100% marketing! Yes the headphone is lighter! Yes by 1gr 👻

I only use mine on airplanes and I don't fly often anymore.

You have so many great iems I dont see any advantage or need for the headphones for your case.
Your iem collection simply blows out of the ocean the mx4 😂🤣

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #42,598 of 45,723
Haaa this is 100% marketing! Yes the headphone is lighter! Yes by 1gr 👻

You have so many great iems I dont see any advantage or need for the headphones for your case.
Your iem collection simply blows out of the ocean the mx4 😂🤣

True, but the headphone is wireless, which is great for use on airplanes versus my IEMs. It just makes me appreciate my IEMs even more. :L3000:

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #42,599 of 45,723

Keep your MX2 and treasure it. I had it and absolutely regretted upgrading to the MX3. The MX3 had bloated, muddy upper bass and lower mids. I actually returned my first one because I thought it was broken, only to hear the exact same thing on the 2nd unit. I even wrote my one and only negative review on Amazon. MX2 was much better balanced and closer to audiophile tuned versus mass consumer. If MX4 sounds like MX3 with better noise cancellation, I absolutely would not buy it.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #42,600 of 45,723
I have asked already on the MDR-Z1R thread, apologies followers, but I also felt it was appropriate to ask here as it is also relevant to the WM1A.
Through a fortunate twist of fate I ended up with an opportunity to own the MDR-Z1R for a very low price which has made me reassess my simple iem/WM1A set up.
They sound fine together but I feel they should be given a chance to shine with a more powerful output and in the future I would like to get a headphone amp. Before I go all leather chair, top shelf whisky sipping with a serious desktop amp to start off I would like to see if I can achieve benefits with a portable option - 4.4mm would be a bonus, although I will consider other options.
I like my WM1A and prefer to keep the sound so ideally I want to use the 3.5mm as a line out. I've never done it this way before always using the dac/amp together, can anyone please suggest a low priced portable amp that will provide the Z1R an opportunity to stretch it's wings a bit?
Fiio K5 PRO? Fiio Q5/s? Xudoo options? iFi options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back