SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #32,942 of 45,723
I’m rocking DMP1.02 with my J version WM1A and it’s absolute bliss for me. The added bass presence and overall clarity and stage is mind blowing. God bless the engineers who released here firmwares. I have 2 questions, please forgive me if they sound silly.

1. Once i change the region to J, I get better tuning in terms of bass, stage, etc. I understand that. But if if then load one of the modded firmwares here such as DMP1.02, won’t it overwrite the J region tuning? Don’t quite understand that.
2. Does the J region and/or the DMP1.02 firmware also effect the bluetooth sound quality?

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #32,943 of 45,723
Two biggest lies by Sony:
1. firmwares don't affect sound
2. firmwares can't be rolled back

Spot on :beerchug: They tuned up 1a, 1z and Z1 specifically for marketing purposes, but in reality their performances are closer than their prices suggest.

I have a 1z, but I could have got an 1a and apply the 1z tune and done, 95% of that "lush" signature would be there at less than half price :ksc75smile:. Same with the Z1, which with the 1z stock firmware and connected to a sensitive pair of IEMS will sound like a 1z. The physical eccentricities of the 1z are there to mess up with our brains (that heavy gold bar must be much better than 1a). Likewise, the eccentricities of the Z1 are due to Sony's goal to match the performance of 1z but with six times (yes, 6 times :astonished:) the power of the Walkman. Impressive!. But then, they had to apply a different tuning to it to improve sound stage, image etc to target that price point.

I think the best thing one could do is to get a second hand 1a, mod it and change firmware and there... you just got 98% of the DMP-1z (only with easy to drive IEMS)...Sony didn't want you to know that. I think that's precisely what @Whitigir was doing with his 1a right? He is smart :)

Having said that, I love my 1z and Sony products in general.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #32,944 of 45,723
After the Ultimate 1.02 is done, are there any confirmation that it's successful? i.e. in Settings -> Unit Information mine still says 3.02

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #32,945 of 45,723
After the Ultimate 1.02 is done, are there any confirmation that it's successful? i.e. in Settings -> Unit Information mine still says 3.02
There’s no visible confirmation. But you’ll hear huge improvements on your iems even maybe some low impedance headphones. It’s unmistakeable

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #32,946 of 45,723

What took you so long to join in the fun?

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #32,947 of 45,723
I have trouble following the steps, something I am surely doing wrong.
I don't understand step 3. I don't know how to copy a .dmg from "disk utility"
Therefore, I cannot perform the following steps, please help

I’m not in front of my Mac at the moment, but if I’m not mistaken go to Finder —> Applications —> Utilities folder —> open Disk Utility. Then you can right click on the mounted original 3.02, and select ”create image”.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #32,948 of 45,723
I’m rocking DMP1.02 with my J version WM1A and it’s absolute bliss for me. The added bass presence and overall clarity and stage is mind blowing. God bless the engineers who released here firmwares. I have 2 questions, please forgive me if they sound silly.

1. Once i change the region to J, I get better tuning in terms of bass, stage, etc. I understand that. But if if then load one of the modded firmwares here such as DMP1.02, won’t it overwrite the J region tuning? Don’t quite understand that.
2. Does the J region and/or the DMP1.02 firmware also effect the bluetooth sound quality?

Both no

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #32,949 of 45,723
What took you so long to join in the fun?
I completely forgot about this thread :). Came back today & saw 30 pages to catch up on!!

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #32,950 of 45,723
Ok thanks. So that means j region has tuning that doesn’t get overwritten by any firmware? And Bluetooth audio is not effected by any tuning config?

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #32,952 of 45,723
Youre right
Thanks mate. By the way the DMP1.02 coupled with J region change has breathed new life into my Z5 with WM1A. Loving this combo. End game stuff. Tried WM2Z and DMP1.01. DMP1.02 much more refined and has superb bass quantity and depth. I don’t know why some people say 1.02 has less bass.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #32,953 of 45,723
Thanks mate. By the way the DMP1.02 coupled with J region change has breathed new life into my Z5 with WM1A. Loving this combo. End game stuff. Tried WM2Z and DMP1.01. DMP1.02 much more refined and has superb bass quantity and depth. I don’t know why some people say 1.02 has less bass.

We all ear differently, and have different setups to reach conclusions. For me D1.02 has very deep bass depth but lacks mid-bass quantity. It's high quality bass presented only when called for. Some may prefer more mid-bass presence for more fun / balance the highs.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #32,954 of 45,723
We all ear differently, and have different setups to reach conclusions. For me D1.02 has very deep bass depth but lacks mid-bass quantity. It's high quality bass presented only when called for. Some may prefer more mid-bass presence for more fun / balance the highs.
Interesting. So which would be the next if I wanted the same depth as dmp1.02 but with more mid bass quantity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back