SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #32,928 of 45,723
Who is enjoying the Musical DMP version a lot ? I am asking because I love pushing for “Extreme”....I smell like

“DMP Portable Musical Extreme Fidelity“ is incoming
This Musical version is amazing, it blew me away because I listen to vocal a lot. Coming to it after u1.02, not sure where next but it's satisfying

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #32,929 of 45,723
I am liking the D1.01, not to much deviation from the stock 3.01. Still with thick body sq.
Excellent question that exemplifies a level of honestly that I hope all headfi members recognize!

Since there is no set of common standards that describe sound impressions, it's always good to describe one's own relative scale to put impressions in a better perspective.

For me I take "night and day" difference meaning literally. An audio example would be listening to any track using built in EQ for enhancing bass versus EQ for enhancing treble. 100% of people with decent hearing on just about any headphone can tell the difference. Another simpler measure is you know when the difference hits within seconds of hearing it. The firmware mods for WM1 is nowhere near this level. I don't think anyone will disagree with me on this.

Next level up is what I would call "audible" difference. In this case you are listening to a track that you've heard thousands of times and know precisely where and when different instruments and vocals play. An audible difference to me is when you hear the difference for the entire track, 100% of the time. You may or may not be able to tell the differences with tracks you have never heard before testing. As a personal example, I generally apply very light, but specific EQ to each of my headphones. The downside is I sometimes forget to change saved EQ settings when I swap headphones. Sometimes I notice within seconds that I have the wrong EQ. Other times I may be a few tracks in before I noticed, but I always do. I personally don't think the firmware mods are in this category either. Others will probably disagree here.

Lastly, there is "subtle". This is where I believe firmware mod comes in. This is where in general, you hear a similar sound for the track that you intimately know. However for some aspects of it - amount of bass, sharpness of treble, instrument placement, you can make out differences if you focus on listening and know by memory what something sounds like before you hear it. A more specific example, I may hear high hat cymbal sound like "tch tch tch" but with a firmware mod, it sounds more like "tchrl tchrl tchrl". The later would be more accurate with a micro detail that pulls out the barely perceptible decay. Unless you are specifically listening for these subtle cues, you probably won't notice them if you are multi tasking.

While my relative scale above may sound like firmware mods are not worth it, I am definitely not saying that. Our brains respond to the most subtle cues in the most emotional ways. For example, you are walking down the street with a friend and you smell something and immediately think of grandma's meatloaf that you love while all your friend smells are onions cooking. You could swear you smell all 11 secret spices your grandma used yet all your friend smells are the onions. Our brains are designed to "fill in the blanks" and it's nearly impossible to control that. While reality may not match your perception, it doesn't matter because your perception is your reality!

Thanks for this extensive answer that puts things in perspective! I'm still interested in people's comparison methods. For me, it's a bit like those picture puzzles for children à la "spot the seven differences". These only work if you can constantly look from one picture to the other, right? But switching between firmwares would take so much time that for me, it would be like looking at one picture for a while and then looking at the other one hours later and still try to spot the differences, which would be virtually impossible if you don't have photographic memory (and who has?).
Personally, my audio memory is like zero, so unless I can directly switch between two signature without any considerable lag, I'm pretty much useless. But maybe that is something that can be trained, so if anyone knows of a "guide to analytical listening" or something of the sort, please let me know, I'm always eager to learn. Anyway, I'll probably install one of the more "extreme" FW's tomorrow and see what it does for me. Nothing to lose, right?

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #32,930 of 45,723
Thanks for this extensive answer that puts things in perspective! I'm still interested in people's comparison methods. For me, it's a bit like those picture puzzles for children à la "spot the seven differences". These only work if you can constantly look from one picture to the other, right? But switching between firmwares would take so much time that for me, it would be like looking at one picture for a while and then looking at the other one hours later and still try to spot the differences, which would be virtually impossible if you don't have photographic memory (and who has?).
Personally, my audio memory is like zero, so unless I can directly switch between two signature without any considerable lag, I'm pretty much useless. But maybe that is something that can be trained, so if anyone knows of a "guide to analytical listening" or something of the sort, please let me know, I'm always eager to learn. Anyway, I'll probably install one of the more "extreme" FW's tomorrow and see what it does for me. Nothing to lose, right?

Its probably very personal and each has its abilities and how far it extents to remember or spot differences.

For an instance I listen regularly every day and around 5 hours thats my average. I also have around 3100 hours of listening done in 4 years.
So that gives u an idea why for me it might be easier to spot the difference. My ears are trained and I also use my inner spiritual force ) my 6 senses are all engaged and capturing the sound emotions and feelings.

All that together gives me the tigers super ears that I have. I can spot a difference now very quickly and by memory I can even remember how each iem or headphones sounded and I try to remember it for future combinations!....

Have fun hehe all it requires concentration and many hours!

I once have read in an article that if you want to be a masterful skilled at something it requires a min of 10 000 hours! Then naturally you become so good that you are a master!

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #32,931 of 45,723
Its probably very personal and each has its abilities and how far it extents to remember or spot differences.

For an instance I listen regularly every day and around 5 hours thats my average. I also have around 3100 hours of listening done in 4 years.
So that gives u an idea why for me it might be easier to spot the difference. My ears are trained and I also use my inner spiritual force ) my 6 senses are all engaged and capturing the sound emotions and feelings.

All that together gives me the tigers super ears that I have. I can spot a difference now very quickly and by memory I can even remember how each iem or headphones sounded and I try to remember it for future combinations!....

Have fun hehe all it requires concentration and many hours!

I once have read in an article that if you want to be a masterful skilled at something it requires a min of 10 000 hours! Then naturally you become so good that you are a master!
And when you talk of yourself, using your inner spiritual force, on my side I do spot something a little strange, no need to train for that :sweat_smile:
Had to read this 2 times to be sure it wasn't a joke :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #32,933 of 45,723
Who is enjoying the Musical DMP version a lot ? I am asking because I love pushing for “Extreme”....I smell like

“DMP Portable Musical Extreme Fidelity“ is incoming

Musical is definitely my top 2 besides U1.02. Can’t wait for MEF!!

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #32,935 of 45,723
Feb 29, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #32,937 of 45,723
I think I need to get sober but... what the hell. I went for it. And I have absolutely no regrets about going with DMP-Z1 1.02 and my WM1A. Just testing it with my Empire Ears Vantage and the bass is just bonkers. Simply spectacular bassmassage with amazing clarity, dynamics and detail I haven't (I think) achieved with my iBasso DX220. The sub-bass is just killing it. Listening to Massive Attack as I write this and the clarity of vocals, the layering, the pitch-black background, the tectonic depth of bass, the precision and positioning... Holy crap. HOLY CRAP!

Quoting Massive Attack - Dissolved Girl:
"Shame, such a shame
I think I kind of lost myself again"

P.S. No shame at all! And no going back!

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #32,938 of 45,723
I think i´ve found my fav sw mod, the winner is DMP Z1 Musical from @Whitigir
This SIR alos deserves major props for all the contibutions he has given to this forum since day 1!!!
YOU SIR SHOULD BE WORKING FOR SONY!!!!!

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #32,940 of 45,723
Hi guys, I read though the whole threads related to firmware mod, and also download the Zip file. Appreciated!! May I ask a stupid question? What is the different between DMPZ1 1.02 Vs DMP Portable Musical Vs DMP Portable Original?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back