SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #31,411 of 45,723
I not sure if I am correct but you mention Ms is replacing the caps
No actually it is another member who replaced the caps totally (!), Which I am sure would change the signature differently.
Not saying it would be worse, but those sony caps were specially made by Sony...

So if understood correctly you do prefer the 1960 cable vs the gold one due to characteristics of the sound staying closer to the 1z tuning?
Yeah, it's a preference choice. Neither is lesser, but I rather prefer more neutral or closer to 1z.

Quote:
Changing the battery is not mandatory for the modification, but replacing it will ensure that the performance of the player is at its peak as battery degradation does take a noticeable toll on the sound of the player.
I agree and mine was changed.

improve the sound quality, why Sony
They chose thier own stock wire for their own reasons and its not a bad wiring at all.
Just not a top sounding one.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #31,412 of 45,723
The creepiest thing is we all run and get K mod and 1 month later Sony releases a new Walkman flagship dap LoL

Daaang thats gonna hurt :ghost:

This is a very good point. As the K mod Ultimate plus shipping from US is pushing around US$1500.00. This has to be at least one third of the price of a future WM2Z which probably will be announce this May/June at the audio show in Germany if history is any guide. The WM1Z is going on a four year cycle now 2016-2020 come this fall. Given all the daps (LPGT, N8, SP2K, AK Khan Cube, Fiio M15, Ibasso 220 etc) released in the past two years all have significantly higher power output than the WM1Z, the WM2Z has to at least double the output power in addition to whatever improvement they will have on the dac section. I am incline to wait it out and put the Mod money into the next edition. Sound reasonable?

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #31,413 of 45,723
Could be the fact that both Sony and ibasso got the max/best sound quality for the appropriate price and left some scope for enthusiasts to pay more to get that small increase, if they so desire.

The mods are expensive and pushes the price even higher. Also, that little sound quality increase for that price might not be desired by many, but only by enthusiasts.
My MOD cost me a $1.50. 1 foot Neotech Solid Core 20 gauge.
it's not expensive.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #31,414 of 45,723
There are people who waited for the used unit to go lower, and then There are people who additionally waiting to modify it once the price goes down.....and then waiting for available parts.... Then there is people who is waiting out for the next variation....and then stalled waiting for the price to come down again.....the cycle repeats.

the key point here is to “Wait”

who knows what happened tomorrow ? If you like something and your earnest money can buy it, then why wait ? Be glad that at least it can be purchased.

On another hand, the time is ripen for a used unit and to modify the WM1A or WM1Z. Low prices on second or third hands units are listing here and there. Parts are readily available for replacements.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #31,416 of 45,723
Can I enable the usb dac function for the wm1a by using the included cable and connecting it to a usb-a (female) to usb-c (male) adapter and plugging the adapter into a macbook pro with thunderbolt 3 ports?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #31,417 of 45,723
Okay so i love my wmz1 with solaris 600hrs plus single ended...ive broken 2 cables by campfire se and they replaced one so far. Inmust admit they have great customer service...i blew a pair of andromedas believe it or not and they replaced them w solaris for the difference...solaris are impressive sounding...the z is a bit bright se and im ready to buy a pair of plusound cables prob poetic but they offer tri silver, tri gold, or should i just go 4 core silver over copper? The also offer the 8 wire pure copper resonable...im trying to keep it under 5 to 6 hundred....any suggestions would be helpful...im leaning tri silver but fear of to much bright is concern and copper holds lows better im guessing...silver over copper may be the choice....anyway..thoughts? Btw in obviously going 4.4 this time ive never heard it b4 so should be fun.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #31,418 of 45,723
happy owner of a 1z here. had it for 2 weeks or so. however i noticed that it makes an especially audible clicking noise today when i toggled the direct source while im not wearing my earphones. i know it's the relay but I recall that it wasn't as loud as my zh1es amp. but the clicking is as audible as my desktop amp now.
idk maybe its my brain playing tricks on me, is it on a noticeable scale for you guys?
has my relay "burned-in"? or maybe it wasn't "oiled" in a long time for lack of a better word? lul

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #31,419 of 45,723
happy owner of a 1z here. had it for 2 weeks or so. however i noticed that it makes an especially audible clicking noise today when i toggled the direct source while im not wearing my earphones. i know it's the relay but I recall that it wasn't as loud as my zh1es amp. but the clicking is as audible as my desktop amp now.
idk maybe its my brain playing tricks on me, is it on a noticeable scale for you guys?

Relay will always make a noticeable “clicks”. You see how your car flash signals are clicking ? That is the relay clicks sound

This click sound scale up with how big the relay is, the larger is the louder. It is a mechanical click

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #31,420 of 45,723
Relay will always make a noticeable “clicks”. You see how your car flash signals are clicking ? That is the relay clicks sound

This click sound scale up with how big the relay is, the larger is the louder. It is a mechanical click
well it's certainly amusing that it never bothered me these few weeks but only now.
probably drowned in its awesomeness, its almost as good as the desktop amp, only i can actually lob this thing around.
im gonna go over to my audio shop to pick up a few extra stuffs, maybe I could get it checked just in case while im at it i guess.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #31,421 of 45,723
well it's certainly amusing that it never bothered me these few weeks but only now.
probably drowned in its awesomeness, its almost as good as the desktop amp, only i can actually lob this thing around.
im gonna go over to my audio shop to pick up a few extra stuffs, maybe I could get it checked just in case while im at it i guess.

There are a couple relays in the WM1a/z so you may not be hearing the same one each time. Also, the sound of the relay is impacted by the following variables:
1) Do you have a case on it?
2) What kind of case?
3) Is the WM1a/z on a solid surface?
4) Are you holding it?
5) etc.

The mechanical relay causes vibrations which are affected by all of the above. Go with no case and a wooden table and it will be loud compared to TPU case and hand held.

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #31,422 of 45,723
I do not hear any mechanical relay click if from the same music format...

only if there's change in format eg DSD to FLAC or lossless/lossy format.

20200201_120332.jpg
20200201_120239.jpg

Feb 1, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #31,423 of 45,723
I do not hear any mechanical relay click if from the same music format...

only if there's change in format eg DSD to FLAC or lossless/lossy format.

Actually the clicks are when you switch between files with the 44.1 or the 48 base clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back