SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #31,397 of 45,723
A few interviews I have read with the Signature development team always makes the point as to any possible replacement will always have to meet very high criteria before they even consider release... you only have to look at the time it took and discussions involved in producing the 1Z case... they knew what they wanted in that respect but because they weren’t satisfied with the manufacture side of producing such a case they held off for a few years simply because of that issue and from developing the 1Z the 1A was spawned.... from my understanding they never planned on 2 in the Signature series...

Similarly the way the talk about the ZP just the volume control alone meant they didn’t even try to meet any release deadline... ie model upgrade or new model time rotation....

With the Signature series it seems Sony work the other way round...

That’s just my take from their discussions...

I think the last thing I recall them saying in response to any planned update to the 1Z was based purely on the market they aim at ... where the overriding driver is sound quality and unless they know that they can suitably improve on the Sound Quality from the 1Z they won’t release anything until then...

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #31,398 of 45,723
It is pretty easy to improve upon WM1Z. However the business have to make sense. In order to improve upon WM1, they have to develop newer S-Master and DSP chip, which isn’t going to happen anytime soon, given how really powerful their DSP chip is....which is inside the DMP Z1 as well.

If they are going to do so, it will be a slap in the face to everyone out there, which I never seen Sony doing so.

Hence I am seeing that a modified WM1A or WM1Z is still going to be viable for a while

There could still be WM2A as successor to WM1A with just the new S-Master alone while using the same DSP interface. It will pave a nice way to future development, but then again WM2Z will not happen for years!!!! Just guessing

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #31,400 of 45,723
Originally posted this on the DMP-Z1 thread as the discussion was leaning that way however it is more appropriate here:

I started using again my iPhone 11 ProMax as a ROON endpoint with my WM1Z.
Interesting post about USB Audio Player app (of which I am unfamiliar) which has UPnP capabilities running on an Experia phone (and not available in iOS) feeding ones FLAC files from the home network.

Can anything improve upon my iPhone solution which allows me to use streaming apps (Tidal & Qobuz) with my 1Z? Or as a better solution (than the iPhone) as a ROON endpoint feeding the 1Z?

Is there a third party substitute cable for the 1Z which perform better than the included one to use between my iPhone/CCK to the 1Z Walkman?

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #31,401 of 45,723
Did it ever occurred to anyone that a WM1Z casing is $1100 ? LOL

That simply mean that if you WM1Z owner is ever to break your LCD Screen $1100 is just the beginning of the repair.....
Ouch, I wonder how much it would be to fix on the 1A?

I cracked the screen on my 1A which luckily doesn't effect performance or usage so I don't need to get it fixed and I added a screen protector for it and the 1Z.

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #31,402 of 45,723
Sony always innovate. They never rely on past products for their future.

Im pretty sure a new TOTL portable walkman is in the horizon.
It is true somewhat, but the hardware inside the WM1A/Z/signature series are shared across the board with different design and architecture. At least the S-Master HX is shared with zx300 and Zx500 for the moment

the question is, why signature series ? How often will it get cycled ? I don’t think it will be a 2 years cycle :wink:

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #31,403 of 45,723
Ouch, I wonder how much it would be to fix on the 1A?

I cracked the screen on my 1A which luckily doesn't effect performance or usage so I don't need to get it fixed and I added a screen protector for it and the 1Z.

the price for this part alone is $245 shipped, excluding labor. So, there is a huge different

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #31,404 of 45,723
If I were given a choice to pick between N8 and a modified Wm1Z, then I would pick WM1Z in a heart beat, but that is me
keys points ..
Plus there is something about the treble in 1z nothing in the entire market of the gear I heard can do that. Y
This sums it up too.
Full agreement here.

Here is my unbiased feedback with regards to the MS K-Mod 1Z. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am holding on to the proto version of the mod which has the same upgrades as the Ultimate mod but with a 24-wire 1960 to the balanced output vs the stock modification of 14-wire mod. MS has stopped offering the 24-wire mod due to high risk of breakage. As far as know, there are only 2 units of the proto mod currently.

I had auditioned the N8 vs stock 1Z last year and my verdict was 1Z still felt more special. Similar to @Whitigir feedback, there is a unique characteristic to Sony's sound signature which I have not heard from other TOTL players. The tube output on the N8 was too warm for me and contrary to @Vitaly2017 feedback, I felt the vocals on the 1Z to have a more natural timbre. I noticed that Sony does not deliberately smooth out the vocals/mids for it to sound more musical. I liked the way it portrays nuances and imperfections as per recording. In short, SQ from balanced output of N8 was good but the stock 1Z just sounded more special to me.

Coming back to the modified 1Z. Although the vocals on the stock 1Z, depth, layering, etc was good, there were 2 areas that I felt needed improvement to reach my end game; wider sound stage and higher resolution. I must say I got my wish answered with the modded 1Z to the point I can't put it down and both my Kann Cube and 228-EX are not getting much play time now
I agree.
It is this unique "non-solid state" & organic sound that made me stay with this dap over everything and even all my desktop dacs are gone as I stopped using them with this unit around.
It is that good.

Not use my laptop and roon player much anymore either..
Plan to have this go straight to my amps with this Sony soon.

I spoke to MS about the use of 1960s previously and they highlighted that there were many other upgrades (i.e. solder, capacitors; etc..) in addition to the type of wires used to achieve their desired sound signature. So the 1960s is just one of the contributing factors.
I have the premium mod and see they no longer make the lesser versions.
My version is now the lowest version lol.
Yet I decided not to go for higher versions which add caps in addition to the stock ones.

its 3D properties are even better, little to no bass bloom, life like vocals, retaining its emotions.
I agree on these points with mod.

"Gold plated silver should give the player a richer sound while the 1960s elevates the signature (sony's) as opposed to changing the sound"

"The sound scales up with an increase in the number of wires"

"The 1960s mod has the general characteristics of having a much blacker background, deeper and a more resolving bass response, with improvements to the resolution and soundstage. Having more wires increases the effects"

"They (tantalum capacitors) are an addition to the existing caps. They mainly contribute to the black background as well as bass depth"

I guess they know what they are doing and what they wanted to achieve with the mods.
I agree to these observations.
I have tried gold plated silver elsewhere and it turns out to be a tonal preference there, instead of only clarity.

I agree the 1960 is excellent for optimising sound.

But I am not a fan of adding or changing the stock caps.
These are part of what differentiate the 1a from the 1z.
You bypass a cap with a paralleled one, yes bass can change but so will all else be affected, maybe change character.
I am sure they picked out a good choice though.

So I compared both the stock and "K" modified Sony(8wire premium) wm1z with what I consider the two BEST headphone matches for it, the Utopia and Denon9200:
IMG_20191018_194123 (1).jpg

It turns out that the upgraded unit did display a noticable improvement in Soundstage and clarity..

It was a small improvement overall, but still quite noticable enough to merit me doing the upgrade.

I would say it's like a 7% improvement overall, which was my goal to have it as close to a desktop equivalent as possible.

So I am glad and happy to have the K mod.
The moded unit also held up well in the bass region, against the fairly brand new stock unit.

Although I do feel the newer stock unit seemed a touch more punchy at times, so I can see how the higher wire count could help in the mods, but I preferred the slight more highlighted mid&upper spectrum overall, compared to stock tonal balance which was a bit warm (compared to a 1a)
:)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #31,405 of 45,723
Wow I am glad so many owners of moded wm1z are emerging from their hidden little heavens in which the moded 1z have brought in to :) to share theire valuable experience to help others new to this option.

I not sure if I am correct but you mention Ms is replacing the caps. As I understood they add 4 tantalum caps in parallel to the balkanced wirring so they arent replacing anything just adding those to get more bass extension and blacker back ground....
their quote 14-wire balanced + 4 tantalum capacitors wired parallel to analog output

So if understood correctly you do prefer the 1960 cable vs the gold one due to characteristics of the sound staying closer to the 1z tuning?

keys points ..

This sums it up too.
Full agreement here.

I agree.
It is this unique "non-solid state" & organic sound that made me stay with this dap over everything and even all my desktop dacs are gone as I stopped using them with this unit around.
It is that good.

Not use my laptop and roon player much anymore either..
Plan to have this go straight to my amps with this Sony soon.

I have the premium mod and see they no longer make the lesser versions.
My version is now the lowest version lol.
Yet I decided not to go for higher versions which add caps in addition to the stock ones.

I agree on these points with mod.

I agree to these observations.
I have tried gold plated silver elsewhere and it turns out to be a tonal preference there, instead of only clarity.

I agree the 1960 is excellent for optimising sound.

But I am not a fan of adding or changing the stock caps.
These are part of what differentiate the 1a from the 1z.
You bypass a cap with a paralleled one, yes bass can change but so will all else be affected, maybe change character.
I am sure they picked out a good choice though.

So I compared both the stock and "K" modified Sony(8wire premium) wm1z with what I consider the two BEST headphone matches for it, the Utopia and Denon9200:

It turns out that the upgraded unit did display a noticable improvement in Soundstage and clarity..

It was a small improvement overall, but still quite noticable enough to merit me doing the upgrade.

I would say it's like a 7% improvement overall, which was my goal to have it as close to a desktop equivalent as possible.

So I am glad and happy to have the K mod.
The moded unit also held up well in the bass region, against the fairly brand new stock unit.

Although I do feel the newer stock unit seemed a touch more punchy at times, so I can see how the higher wire count could help in the mods, but I preferred the slight more highlighted mid&upper spectrum overall, compared to stock tonal balance which was a bit warm (compared to a 1a)
:)

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #31,406 of 45,723
I just got an email from MS and here what they said.

Thanks for writing in regarding the K Mod! Let us answer your questions:

If you like the Plussound GPS, the 1960s is in the same signature vein but with even more performance and detail, which transforms the modded 1Z to a much higher level of detail while retaining the Sony warm sound signature.
The tantalum capacitors are used to increase the current output available from the player, which increases the bass impact, detail and extension. Bass rumble is much better extended and textured when combining all our changes to the player.
Changing the battery is not mandatory for the modification, but replacing it will ensure that the performance of the player is at its peak as battery degradation does take a noticeable toll on the sound of the player.

Looks like 1960 is my cable hehe, and I would be very satisfied with it...

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #31,407 of 45,723
I see a lot of modding of iBasso, Sony etc. DAPs and it raises a question for me

If there are easy mods of these DAPs which significantly improve the sound quality, why Sony and iBasso can't figure out these mods at their own , they have much more resources than a sole user, and already release their products at the highest possible potential ?

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #31,408 of 45,723
I see a lot of modding of iBasso, Sony etc. DAPs and it raises a question for me

If there are easy mods of these DAPs which significantly improve the sound quality, why Sony and iBasso can't figure out these mods at their own , they have much more resources than a sole user, and already release their products at the highest possible potential ?

Could be the fact that both Sony and ibasso got the max/best sound quality for the appropriate price and left some scope for enthusiasts to pay more to get that small increase, if they so desire.

The mods are expensive and pushes the price even higher. Also, that little sound quality increase for that price might not be desired by many, but only by enthusiasts.

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #31,409 of 45,723

Well Ibasso is constantly improving theire line and I think its a question of how much your dap will cost for the customer at the end. They have specific parameters and sound quality they believe they have reached and for that price its how it should sound I guess.

Sonny is different they have theire own sound signature on mind and decided to use kimbercable ... What the K mod do is simply swapping cables and adding 4 tantalum caps also with improved shielding with better grounding the dap wiring. So we are simply improving few things and also customizing the dap to a different sound signature. Dont forget that k mod is a rouf 1 000 upgrade, so if sony went that rout it mean the dap would of cost around 3.6 k maybe they though $ per performance we think this is the best....

So just to say its not because there are problems its cause there is a potential to do more tweaks and Sony dap was out 3 years ago, that also says that maybe back then things were different from today's possibility you know...

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #31,410 of 45,723
To any business, there are executive branches, and one of them is “Financial!!!!!”

You can do whatever under their guidelines for improving Profits and year end statistics.

These are the minimum for any Company or businesses to survive. Meeting the Demands of every one from consumers to investors alike

why modifications ? Because we are only Consumers
I was going to type out a lot, but let’s put it short. It takes a modder and an hardcore enthusiasts to understand the answer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back