SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #31,382 of 45,723
If you would like to modify it using your own materials, I would recommend you to contact @chaiyuta as he has known superb technicians who can works on performing even the Ibasso DX228EX modifications which is very complicated, and by doing that, the customers have to provide parts. That would be another option. However he is in Thailand. I also doubt that any above mentioned vendor would refuse to use your wires of choices just so long as you provided it
Thank you for providing such great info. I do have access to different cable materials (pure silver, silver gold, palladium etc), my problem is not knowing how the various material will sound after the mod and hence the hesitation. I cannot keep trying with different materials and keep sending my 1Z to Singapore or Thailand back and forth. Thanks again, Whitigir.

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #31,383 of 45,723
Thank you for providing such great info. I do have access to different cable materials (pure silver, silver gold, palladium etc), my problem is not knowing how the various material will sound after the mod and hence the hesitation. I cannot keep trying with different materials and keep sending my 1Z to Singapore or Thailand back and forth. Thanks again, Whitigir.
Then it is the best way to heed the Modder advises :wink:. Contact different vendors, and express your desired goals, you will get it

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #31,384 of 45,723
You guys are tempting me to mod my 1Z, I wish there are more impressions to compare the different venders. Thanks to @hshock76 for the info on MS. It is good to know that the basic sound signature does not change. Does anyone one know whether MS has other cable to choose from? Or they have decided that 1960 is the best.

No harm contacting MS to inquire about wire options and let them know the SQ that you are looking.

Best is subjective so I "fit" is probably the more appropriate work since the mod needs to fit or meet your preference which is different from person to person.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #31,385 of 45,723
The creepiest thing is we all run and get K mod and 1 month later Sony releases a new Walkman flagship dap LoL

Daaang thats gonna hurt :ghost:

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #31,386 of 45,723
The creepiest thing is we all run and get K mod and 1 month later Sony releases a new Walkman flagship dap LoL

Shhh...even if the next Walkman to come out, it wouldn’t come until next year. Sony usually announce stuff at IFA or CES, but there has been 0 leaks so far even from CES...I doubt IFA will have any. If, anything at all, it would likely be the end of this year and going on the next year for global release. There has been a typical delays of 3-6 months from announcing to producing and shipping worldwide

I would say that you are safe for at least another 6-12 months period. Now, that could be a long time....who knows what happen tomorrow

I still swing a wild guess here, even if there are...it wouldn’t be cheaper than WM1Z. Seeing that WM1Z is Signature series and Sony lacks an Open-back full-size headphones, then I think that next one would be that open back, just to complete the Signature series. So then, after the completion of the signature series, there would Unlikely be another signature series for a long while.

you can expect NW-2A, and NW-3A....etc...whatever many generation until the next “signature series arrive”. How long did it take Sony to release another Android-based Walkman ? Zx2 and then Zx500 ? That had been like 5 years isn’t it ? Considering this windows for another Walkman WM2A or WM2Z are going to be 2023.

just guessing

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #31,387 of 45,723
Shhh...even if the next Walkman to come out, it wouldn’t come until next year. Sony usually announce stuff at IFA or CES, but there has been 0 leaks so far even from CES...I doubt IFA will have any. If, anything at all, it would likely be the end of this year and going on the next year for global release. There has been a typical delays of 3-6 months from announcing to producing and shipping worldwide

I would say that you are safe for at least another 6-12 months period. Now, that could be a long time....who knows what happen tomorrow

I still swing a wild guess here, even if there are...it wouldn’t be cheaper than WM1Z. Seeing that WM1Z is Signature series and Sony lacks an Open-back full-size headphones, then I think that next one would be that open back, just to complete the Signature series. So then, after the completion of the signature series, there would Unlikely be another signature series for a long while.

you can expect NW-2A, and NW-3A....etc...whatever many generation until the next “signature series arrive”. How long did it take Sony to release another Android-based Walkman ? Zx2 and then Zx500 ? That had been like 5 years isn’t it ? Considering this windows for another Walkman WM2A or WM2Z are going to be 2023.

just guessing

Well yes but, I see zx-500 as a successor to zx-300 and zx-300 and 1z had a year period difference in releasing. So I guessed that there might be another dap on the horizon.... Sony is very self based company they set the bench mark in audio gears pretty much. They are so huge that I think they can do as they believe if its really necessary or not... I also guess that wm1z is so good that they decided to release Dmp and now we have the zx-500. So maybe I am wrong since they already released their affordable daps and their supper expensive offerings, so whats left now? maybe just what we have and that all. Until Sony comes up with a new revolution in daps I guess.

But neither the less I think I still will be very happy with a moded 1z for quiet a while.... Maybe it will sound now better then my all time favorite dac amp? the hdv820 :L3000::gs1000smile:

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #31,389 of 45,723
Is Zx300 an Android ? I recalled it being Sony OS and not Android. The Zx500 as android platform is really a successor to the NW-ZX2 (the last android OS Walkman)......that cycle is 5 years strong lol

HDV820 with Tia forte ?

Haaaa not I didnt have it back then it was the hd800s legacy time lmao.

Tia Forte was actually a better sound signature vs hd800s, less treble and more nice bass. But still they managed to pierce my ears and it was a thank you but we gota move on :)

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #31,390 of 45,723

Based on my experience with the modded 1Z, I believe it satisfy you for a long time even with the release of a new TOTL walkman. Even then I suspect the modded player may still be performing at a higher level than the new release if good materials and strategy are applied on the mod.

The player is blowing my mind and ears every day...

I actually look forward to waking at 4 plus in the morning daily just to have a session on the player before I go for my run. Every session is like having a private performance just for me. eyes closed, pitch black background; singer infront of me performing... eerily real.

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #31,391 of 45,723
Haaaa not I didnt have it back then it was the hd800s legacy time lmao.

Tia Forte was actually a better sound signature vs hd800s, less treble and more nice bass. But still they managed to pierce my ears and it was a thank you but we gota move on :)
You shouldn’t thank me, because I didn’t do anything there that contributed toward that piercing at all my friend

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #31,392 of 45,723
You shouldn’t thank me, because I didn’t do anything there that contributed toward that piercing at all my friend

I am a sensitive tiger lol, do a small hiss and i be zzzzz you trying to do here stop hissing, even if its a small sisly wisly mini one :leopard:

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #31,393 of 45,723
For those who wants more details on the K-Mod, I have listed the feedback below from MS when I inquired about the K-Mod and the wires used:

"we would not recommend using solid core wiring as they have the tendency to break after a while of use. In fact they break when installing into the player"
I have done the Solid Core MOD on both the 1A and the ZX300, and had no problems at all. The Solid core Neotech cables are pretty flexible, and are not under any stress. Don't know what these guys are talking about.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #31,394 of 45,723
:)

The problem was finding this case. Then I found it here, and it can be very customized.

:)
Agreed, Easecase is pretty awesome with color, design, name customization and much cheaper than Dignis (I do own Dignis Artisan Patina). However, Patina is better fitted and look solid.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #31,395 of 45,723
I found the Easecase a much better option for me especially with the book fold rather than the flip... plenty of options and very good quality... and a great price... £35

1PY3SdI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back