SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #31,351 of 45,723
Playlists are synced, you use a slider to determine how much goes on the internal storage vs sdcard and it keeps track of all changes for you.

If you have multiple DAPs is keeps each in sync

ah right. I don’t tend to use playlists, so probably not much use for me. I’ll stick to drag n drop folders

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #31,352 of 45,723
23F2B758-7035-4C01-A473-12727B6A7F55.jpeg

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #31,353 of 45,723
It's just a long love story. Got 1Z for almost 3 years, got the premium mod done 18 months ago. And finally went for a new one and Ultimate mod.

Was able to compare Premium and Ultimate for 10 days.
More dynamic, more power (seems like there is more weights), darker background. Small but real improvement.

Compared to the standard 1Z, it's for me better on all the criterias. Again, small improvement, but there.

I am currently A/B testing N8 ss and original wm1z and both sound phenomenal. I feel like I still like wm1z more. How would you compare in sq wm1z with ultimate k mode vs N8 ss? it would give me a good hint and help figuring where to go please.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #31,354 of 45,723
Hi I was reading your post and got intrigued I know It been a wile ago now hehe but I am in a guess mind now, whats better a moded wm1z or wm1a ? I like the viceral and more sub improvements you mentioned on 1a. I didnt really understood what you ment a more mellow moded 1z vs 1a...

I am thinking to try a k mod on 1z cause I own one. I love warm bodied and natural sound signature with best sub bass and viscerality, nuances and textures with a good timbre tonality. mmmm what can you say kmod ultimate 1z vs 1a?

Hey guys, I recently acquired a Sony WM1A modded by Music Sanctuary. I've spent a few weeks with this DAP and a wide variety of IEMs, and now I'd like to tell you why this mod is one of the most impressive "products" I've come across thus far in 2018. Enjoy! :D

Music Sanctuary's WM1A Mod

Music Sanctuary’s Walkman mod is a service that aims to maximise sound quality through a number of significant modifications. These include:

1) A brand new Pentaconn 4.4mm socket (to ensure that solder used on the socket is fresh and uncontaminated)
2) PWAudio 1960s wiring for both single-ended and balanced outputs, as well as DC ground
3) Exotic, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries solder used for all solder joints, with all existing solder cleaned off prior to the mod
4) Isolation of all inductor coils and capacitors with shielding products from Japan (Oyaide and fo.Q)

Depending on how many 1960s conductors are used within the mod, pricing is separated into the following tiers:

Basic
2-wire SE and BAL: S$549 (single 1960s wire for DC ground)

Deluxe
4-wire SE and BAL: S$699 (dual 1960s wire for DC ground)

Premium
4-wire SE, 8-wire BAL: S$899 (dual 1960s wire for DC ground section)

These impressions apply to the 4.4mm balanced output, via the Premium option applied to a Sony WM1A purchased stock from E-Earphone in Japan.

Sound Impressions

Before I move on to impressions of the MS mod, I should mention that I’ve had my fair share of reservations towards Sony’s WM1A in stock form. Although I enjoyed its tonal balance, smoothness and body, I found its dynamic performance lacking; struggling to conjure any sense of immediacy or punch due to a lack of extension on either end. Despite a relatively prominent peak in the lower treble, articulation does not make up for what sounds like a lack of note definition; a missing contrast between the player’s background and the notes up above. I liked what its warmer, heftier tilt was going for, but it was clear to me that the 1Z is the superior player - even at its luxurious price and its egregious weight.

Which is why I was immensely surprised when I heard the MS1A. Maintaining its excellent sense of weight, the MS mod gives the 1A vast improvements in dynamic energy, bidirectional extension, stage stability and resolution. Note definition and body are the hallmarks of its new signature, presenting instruments as fully formed objects fanned out across a romantic, intimate stage, as well as a pitch-perfect black background. Although technical improvements from the stock 1A are quite significant, the tonality it ends up producing may not be for everyone. Because of a full, meaty and warm upper-bass - in conjunction with a calmer upper-treble - the MS1A exudes a thick, warm and natural timbre; a significant departure from - say - my airy, open and clarity-focused AK70-Kai. But, where the AK70-Kai excels in sparkle, the MS1A bathes in organicity; producing a textured, resolving and smooth signature that promotes naturalness above all.

The most impressive - and most noticeable - change the mod achieves is bass extension and sub-bass performance. The MS1A produces the most palpable, visceral and textured low-end response I have personally ever heard. It’s a guttural rumble that obviously requires an equally-capable IEM to highlight, but this gorgeous quality is audible from my $650 Custom Art FIBAE 3, all the way to the $2699 Unique Melody Mason V3. A linear mid-bass and a thick upper-bass complement this to form a warm, physical and romantic low-end; creating a strong foundation for the midrange and treble to stand upon. This player/mod won’t be for those looking for either a neutral response, or a cleaner signature, but it does impart a tinge of richness that sounds beautifully organic with everything I’ve heard it with. Infusing meatiness, heft and definition to the entire presentation, the MS1A’s low-end defies expectation; producing a sub-bass that’s as devilishly satisfying as it is wonderfully natural.

This warmth then flows through unto the midrange. The MS mod gives the 1A a beautifully textured vocal presentation with vast improvements in depth, body and three-dimensionality. Instruments pop against the background as fully-realised, physical objects; benefitting realism through tactility and heft. The MS1A also utilises overtones to form its sizable notes. Harmonics fill the stage with an organic warmth, but excellent bidirectional extension prevents the stage from ever becoming hazy or veiled. Instead, timbre benefits from this phenomenon in naturalness and ease. The upper-midrange echoes this sentiment; minimizing on sparkle for smoothness’ sake. Doing away with the stock 1A’s articulative vocal presentation, this renewed sense of coherence benefits the MS1A’s linearity - complementing thick notes with a feathered release. But, despite these inhibitions toward articulation, the MS1A uses its black background and stable stage to produce well-resolved and exceptionally-defined instruments; full, organic and transparent at all times.

The lower-treble is where the MS1A is most like its unmodded counterpart. A slight emphasis here is the MS1A’s sole source of articulation and air. It’s a necessary touch of sparkle that cuts through its warm, romantic stage - even if it can approach brittle with the wrong pairing. The peak isn’t as noticeable as the one on the stock unit, but it is certainly present. Despite this accentuation, the MS1A’s middle-and-upper-treble display excellent coherence. Extension is the DAP’s forte, and its performance in this regard endows it with a rock solid, exceptionally layered and effortlessly transparent stage - mating bodied organicity with great finesse. The MS1A’s highest registers can lack excitement for some. While it isn’t as mellow as a partially-modded WM1Z I heard months ago, it’s also not as bright as my AK70-Kai. It strikes a healthy in-between where sparkle and openness offset the player’s richer overtones; benefitting the player’s hefty midrange and spectacular low-end with an open stage to strut their stuff.

In the end, only one question still remains: Is the mod worth the cash? Subjectively speaking, the MS1A is a departure from the WM1A’s stock signature, and that may not be universally appreciated. In place of the latter’s articulative and neutral-natural signature, the MS1A yields a more organic, weighty and rich listen. But, when it comes to technical performance, there is absolutely no contest. Experiencing boosts in extension, dynamics and resolution, the MS1A affords its effortless, life-like and engaging signature without any real compromise; naturalising the WM1A yet besting it in solidity and impact. Manifesting three-dimensional instruments within a fully-realised, physical soundscape, the MS1A is truly a class above its peers. If you’re capable of enjoying a warmer and more organic signature, Music Sanctuary’s Walkman mod is a worthwhile investment - turning Sony’s middle son into the alpha of the pack.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #31,355 of 45,723
I am currently A/B testing N8 ss and original wm1z and both sound phenomenal. I feel like I still like wm1z more. How would you compare in sq wm1z with ultimate k mode vs N8 ss? it would give me a good hint and help figuring where to go please.
You should read my review of N8 where I compare it with the WM1Z k mod premium.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/23174/

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #31,356 of 45,723
Hi I was reading your post and got intrigued I know It been a wile ago now hehe but I am in a guess mind now, whats better a moded wm1z or wm1a ? I like the viceral and more sub improvements you mentioned on 1a. I didnt really understood what you ment a more mellow moded 1z vs 1a...

I am thinking to try a k mod on 1z cause I own one. I love warm bodied and natural sound signature with best sub bass and viscerality, nuances and textures with a good timbre tonality. mmmm what can you say kmod ultimate 1z vs 1a?

Well, as you said, it's been a long while since I've heard the two together. But, with the modded 1Z, I think you'll hear a much more laid-back, spacious sound. This is what I meant when I said mellow, because the modded 1A is more punchy and forward-sounding by comparison. The trade-off is that the 1A lacks composure and precision compared to the modded 1Z.

For more details on the modded 1Z, I'd recommend checking out @flinkenick's impressions of the modded 1Z here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1139#post-13891971. Though, I believe his had the Premium mod, as the Ultimate mod hadn't come out yet.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #31,357 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017 I saw your respond and question over at the N8, but the real place to talk about it is here. I did listen to N8, and also modified my Wm1Z a long time ago. The Wm1Z has so much more to give, but the Kimber Kables inside gave it the Warm touch that is coloring the sound as you mentioned. This was the reason why I modified mine. I also have modified my DMP-Z1 as well, just because of this.

I keep repeating this over and over again, Sony has a unique characteristics of house sound, and the next one that is closer to it would be Chord, and then Cayin with especially the N8. However, if you are very keen ears and picky, and is used to Sony house sound, then there is nothing out there that can replace it. That is why I have moved on to upgrade into DMP-Z1. If I were given a choice to pick between N8 and a modified Wm1Z, then I would pick WM1Z in a heart beat, but that is me

Regarding what wires should fit your taste preferences, contact the modder to ask about it.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #31,358 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017 I saw your respond and question over at the N8, but the real place to talk about it is here. I did listen to N8, and also modified my Wm1Z a long time ago. The Wm1Z has so much more to give, but the Kimber Kables inside gave it the Warm touch that is coloring the sound as you mentioned. This was the reason why I modified mine. I also have modified my DMP-Z1 as well, just because of this.

I keep repeating this over and over again, Sony has a unique characteristics of house sound, and the next one that is closer to it would be Chord, and then Cayin with especially the N8. However, if you are very keen ears and picky, and is used to Sony house sound, then there is nothing out there that can replace it. That is why I have moved on to upgrade into DMP-Z1. If I were given a choice to pick between N8 and a modified Wm1Z, then I would pick WM1Z in a heart beat, but that is me

Regarding what wires should fit your taste preferences, contact the modder to ask about it.
Actually Vitaly; I would recommend you go with Whitigirl. I got mine modded by him and am still very satisfied with it; and that's about 2-3 years ago. Actually, I was posting about the huge sound quality improvements here at the time, later it started the MS 1A/1Z mod. I got the choice of pure silver and gold and silver cable, I chose silver gold since it provides more natural, realistic timbre. At the time, I already got the PW1960 cable, its a very good cable but there is certain characteristic to the sound. I think in some way, if you choose MSMod, the sound will in some way or other will be colored by the PW1960 cable used. It would color the sound no matter how big or small it is. Pm Whitigirl, see if he is willing to help you.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #31,359 of 45,723
Here is my unbiased feedback with regards to the MS K-Mod 1Z. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am holding on to the proto version of the mod which has the same upgrades as the Ultimate mod but with a 24-wire 1960 to the balanced output vs the stock modification of 14-wire mod. MS has stopped offering the 24-wire mod due to high risk of breakage. As far as know, there are only 2 units of the proto mod currently.

I had auditioned the N8 vs stock 1Z last year and my verdict was 1Z still felt more special. Similar to @Whitigir feedback, there is a unique characteristic to Sony's sound signature which I have not heard from other TOTL players. The tube output on the N8 was too warm for me and contrary to @Vitaly2017 feedback, I felt the vocals on the 1Z to have a more natural timbre. I noticed that Sony does not deliberately smooth out the vocals/mids for it to sound more musical. I liked the way it portrays nuances and imperfections as per recording. In short, SQ from balanced output of N8 was good but the stock 1Z just sounded more special to me.

Coming back to the modified 1Z. Although the vocals on the stock 1Z, depth, layering, etc was good, there were 2 areas that I felt needed improvement to reach my end game; wider sound stage and higher resolution. I must say I got my wish answered with the modded 1Z to the point I can't put it down and both my Kann Cube and 228-EX are not getting much play time now. I am pairing the modded 1Z with both EA Horus and PW1960 cables with the IER-Z1R - both cables have almost the same technical capabilities to apart from below:

EA Horus (Gold plated silver) - transparent and reference sounding
PW 1960 (pure OCC copper litz) - more body (thicker vocals invoking more emotions)

I really can't say which I prefer so I just swap depending on my moods.

I did a half hour A/B with the DMP-Z1 yesterday and I must say performance is very very close between the stock Z1 and modded 1Z. I could not discern a huge difference in most songs but in some there were clearly improvements in resolution and clarity. Still planning to own the Z1 one day...

I can't comment on the mods with silver or gold plated silver but I liked how the MS mod retained the warmth and Sony's sound signature while improving resolution+clarity.

Again, this is just another reference point for folks considering the MS Mod. I can't and will not say that this is best way to go about modding it as there are obviously other options with wire selection. If anyone is in the Bay Area and wants a go at the modded 1Z, feel free to drop me a PM.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #31,360 of 45,723
@Whitigir

Hey you really nailed and yea maybe you are right I should of posted my feedbacks here on 1z thread instead I would have more fame haha. I can copy past my post here then lol.

Since my feedbacks about N8 amd 1z I get so many messages with all kinds of questions about 1z and n8 hehe I feel like an important person lol.

But more to what you just said and I think your 100% right about, I do have very sharp and precise hearing I can detect very fine fine small changes and nuance in sound. Lately I did start to challenge my wm1z more often against other bigger players or dacs. And so far I always come back to wm1z because of its extreme abilities to fightback and hold the title of the big champion.

I did a/b against hugo2 and now N8.
Hugo 2 was close but I found it lacked the ability to show the fine nuances of bass and treble was not lively and beautiful as on 1z. Also was very powerful in sound whitsh didnt please me for iems.

N8 was a very fun and pleasant experience and I think it was a better sound signature over hugo2 but also didnt win me over wm1z. Bass reproduction are totally different. More airier and less dense as in 1z but also not as tight and punchy. 1z bass is thicker and more vibrant and there is that kimber cable that comes in place, I believe Sony purposely didnt solder the headphone jack on the pcb so they can have this cable in between. Just same story with the ier-z1r and that foam lol. Aaaa Sony we love you and at same time some time we ask why the heck this..... lol

I am sending N8 back to musicteck they been very nice and letting me try the n8.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #31,361 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017

I totally agree on the point you brought up about air.

I’m not sure whether other 1z owners noticed but one aspect of the 1Z that sucks me in is in the focused manner it portrays vocals and bass. Many players and IEMs tend to add air around vocals and instruments to make them sound larger or wider and more impressive on first hearing but ultimately does not sound natural to me.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #31,362 of 45,723
Here is my unbiased feedback with regards to the MS K-Mod 1Z. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am holding on to the proto version of the mod which has the same upgrades as the Ultimate mod but with a 24-wire 1960 to the balanced output vs the stock modification of 14-wire mod. MS has stopped offering the 24-wire mod due to high risk of breakage. As far as know, there are only 2 units of the proto mod currently.

I had auditioned the N8 vs stock 1Z last year and my verdict was 1Z still felt more special. Similar to @Whitigir feedback, there is a unique characteristic to Sony's sound signature which I have not heard from other TOTL players. The tube output on the N8 was too warm for me and contrary to @Vitaly2017 feedback, I felt the vocals on the 1Z to have a more natural timbre. I noticed that Sony does not deliberately smooth out the vocals/mids for it to sound more musical. I liked the way it portrays nuances and imperfections as per recording. In short, SQ from balanced output of N8 was good but the stock 1Z just sounded more special to me.

Coming back to the modified 1Z. Although the vocals on the stock 1Z, depth, layering, etc was good, there were 2 areas that I felt needed improvement to reach my end game; wider sound stage and higher resolution. I must say I got my wish answered with the modded 1Z to the point I can't put it down and both my Kann Cube and 228-EX are not getting much play time now. I am pairing the modded 1Z with both EA Horus and PW1960 cables with the IER-Z1R - both cables have almost the same technical capabilities to apart from below:

EA Horus (Gold plated silver) - transparent and reference sounding
PW 1960 (pure OCC copper litz) - more body (thicker vocals invoking more emotions)

I really can't say which I prefer so I just swap depending on my moods.

I did a half hour A/B with the DMP-Z1 yesterday and I must say performance is very very close between the stock Z1 and modded 1Z. I could not discern a huge difference in most songs but in some there were clearly improvements in resolution and clarity. Still planning to own the Z1 one day...

I can't comment on the mods with silver or gold plated silver but I liked how the MS mod retained the warmth and Sony's sound signature while improving resolution+clarity.

Again, this is just another reference point for folks considering the MS Mod. I can't and will not say that this is best way to go about modding it as there are obviously other options with wire selection. If anyone is in the Bay Area and wants a go at the modded 1Z, feel free to drop me a PM.

Woooaaa I am so happy we have such a huge community in the realm of the sony dap )

24 wire sound so huge in wires count, dont know if it makes a huge difference going that high yet, since I havent had a chance to hear it.

What you describe about modded 1z and being good as almost as the dmp that is a very huge thing for me. Id love to have a 1z with that much goodness.

What I really love in 1z stock is the ability to reproduce amazing bass and sub bass, bot only its good but its also very nuanced. Plus there is something about the treble in 1z nothing in the entire market of the gear I heard can do that. You can really hear it with ier-z1r, when you hook them to another source you hear right away treble is not as unique and timbral as 1z can offer it.

I have read many reviews about the K mode and about cables.

Few things gives me a concern about the mode, I dont want to elevate the treble to high since I am sensitive to that, I am listen for very long periods of time and it can build up and be fatiguing .

I am not sure about the pw 1960 cable... its a full copper and I am starting to dislike pure copper cable cause they tend to make weird behavior with treble....

I lately discovered plussound gold plated silver cable and my goodness I love this synergy and naturalness so much. Its extremely musical natural and beautiful, it just signs so charming I believe in gold cables now lol.
I was thinking what if I can mode 1z with gold plated silver cable instead of 1960? ....

By the way my current setup is audio 64 tia trio plussound gold plated silver and stock wm1z

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #31,363 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017

I totally agree on the point you brought up about air.

I’m not sure whether other 1z owners noticed but one aspect of the 1Z that sucks me in is in the focused manner it portrays vocals and bass. Many players and IEMs tend to add air around vocals and instruments to make them sound larger or wider and more impressive on first hearing but ultimately does not sound natural to me.

At the same time 1z has a very black background whitsh makes it so intimate. While it changes of passage threw notes the blackness can make a different sense in the music its like a mini swing in speed make a pause and suddenly everything comes back with a fast engagement. That is something missing in n8 and I loved it in 1z

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #31,364 of 45,723
Woooaaa I am so happy we have such a huge community in the realm of the sony dap )

24 wire sound so huge in wires count, dont know if it makes a huge difference going that high yet, since I havent had a chance to hear it.

What you describe about modded 1z and being good as almost as the dmp that is a very huge thing for me. Id love to have a 1z with that much goodness.

What I really love in 1z stock is the ability to reproduce amazing bass and sub bass, bot only its good but its also very nuanced. Plus there is something about the treble in 1z nothing in the entire market of the gear I heard can do that. You can really hear it with ier-z1r, when you hook them to another source you hear right away treble is not as unique and timbral as 1z can offer it.

I have read many reviews about the K mode and about cables.

Few things gives me a concern about the mode, I dont want to elevate the treble to high since I am sensitive to that, I am listen for very long periods of time and it can build up and be fatiguing .

I am not sure about the pw 1960 cable... its a full copper and I am starting to dislike pure copper cable cause they tend to make weird behavior with treble....

I lately discovered plussound gold plated silver cable and my goodness I love this synergy and naturalness so much. Its extremely musical natural and beautiful, it just signs so charming I believe in gold cables now lol.
I was thinking what if I can mode 1z with gold plated silver cable instead of 1960? ....

By the way my current setup is audio 64 tia trio plussound gold plated silver and stock wm1z

I spoke to MS about the use of 1960s previously and they highlighted that there were many other upgrades (i.e. solder, capacitors; etc..) in addition to the type of wires used to achieve their desired sound signature. So the 1960s is just one of the contributing factors.

I have the Horus which is a TOTL gold plated silver cable and I can appreciate why you love the plussound so much.

However, the 1960s is also unlike other copper cables I've tried. It does not really add warmth to me. It actually sounds similar to the Horus but with more body and thicker vocals vs Horus's more transparent and reference signature.

I'm not a treble person too and I can't listen to sharp notes for too long. The K modded 1Z to me is perfectly balanced for my listening needs now.The depth and layering and bass is just ear-watering. I am not very technical when it comes to SQ and I just let my ears be the judge and I have been lucky to have access to other TOTL players, IEMs and cables for auditions when I travel to SG for work.

MS carry Plussound cables in their portfolio too so you can contact them to inquire about carrying out the ultimate mod with Plussound gold plater silver cables.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #31,365 of 45,723
I spoke to MS about the use of 1960s previously and they highlighted that there were many other upgrades (i.e. solder, capacitors; etc..) in addition to the type of wires used to achieve their desired sound signature. So the 1960s is just one of the contributing factors.

I have the Horus which is a TOTL gold plated silver cable and I can appreciate why you love the plussound so much.

However, the 1960s is also unlike other copper cables I've tried. It does not really add warmth to me. It actually sounds similar to the Horus but with more body and thicker vocals vs Horus's more transparent and reference signature.

I'm not a treble person too and I can't listen to sharp notes for too long. The K modded 1Z to me is perfectly balanced for my listening needs now.The depth and layering and bass is just eye-watering. I am not very technical when it comes to SQ and I just let my ears be the judge and I have been lucky to have access to other TOTL players, IEMs and cables for auditions when I travel to SG for work.

MS carry Plussound cables in their portfolio too so you can contact them to inquire about carrying out the ultimate mod with Plussound gold plater silver cables.

Wow sounds like I really gotta contact them and have a good chat about 1z options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back