SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #28,126 of 45,723
I am waiting for the major.upgrade to wm series
Even so, you will not get anything similar to DMP ....I doubt it

It is built with 5 batteries packs, 1 each for analog section and 1 for Digital....the same as 5x super-capacitors :D

Even WM1-Z is Pale in technical built and engineering (Virtually, everything inside DMP is Multi Layered Capacitors and F resistors. It is challenging to even design such device)

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #28,127 of 45,723
Even so, you will not get anything similar to DMP ....I doubt it

It is built with 5 batteries packs, 1 each for analog section and 1 for Digital....the same as 5x super-capacitors :D

Even WM1-Z is Pale in technical built and engineering (Virtually, everything inside DMP is Multi Layered Capacitors and F resistors. It is challenging to even design such device)
You shall get the IER-Z1R , simply they're stunning and not yet fully burned

May 28, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #28,129 of 45,723
I'm sure DMP sounds great but I personally don't know how it makes sense for me:

As a desktop, there are much better options and components for the same price range. As a portable, it's too big to take on a plane (unless you fly first class all the time). I understand the idea is for "transportable", but I personally have no transportable needs.

On a related note, it has been about 9 months since I've had the WM1z and I have put more the double the amount of time on it compared to my previous DAPs while my professional and personal life style has not changed. In fact, I am using my desktop system less than before because WM1z is so convenient to use and it's always has enough battery life for at least couple hours of listening.

At home - Utopia plus WM1z is a great go anywhere in the house system.

On the road - planes, cars, hotels, office all served well by WM1z and IEM. Special mention to Alaska Airlines which features BYOB to stream videos to your tablet. WM1z in BT receive mode is just perfect.

So if the definition of "best audio device" is "the one you use the most", it's WM1z for me.

May 28, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #28,130 of 45,723
I originally thought like you, but Jitters is the enemy of Digital audio. It not only come from Clock oscilliators, but also come from Capacitors of Surface mounting Caps, especially Tantalum and ceramic capacitors. Regardless of how good your equipments is as long as you are using it, there are Jitters

If you have DAC desktop and it only uses Electrolytic capacitors then it is good, but it still can not outperform Polymer Multi Layers capacitors or PML. It was made for this purpose, to eliminate Jitters. Most of sensitive devices such as clock oscilliators regulators or frequency reception IC will need it.

The DMP uses virtually Electrolytic that is newly developed with the mean to also eliminate jitters, and the PML everywhere , also F-Resistors at each resistors. This alone is the reason to buy DMP, a done right Digital Source by itself. Everything else can be put for debate or whatever. I had been refusing to buy a DMP, but since I heard it at Canjam, the sound haunted me, and I wanted to find out more....technically....and the more I found out....the more I wanted it. Especially for my Stax system

PML are made by your very well known Rubycon, who made the legendary BlackGate caps. You can see this spec sheets it only available in very low capacitances. In order to build the DMP virtually with all caps to be PML, Sony had to customize and special order/engineers it into specs. Something only Sony can do and no one else

Beside the 0 Jitters benefit, these PML is also preserving original frequencies very well, or very high frequencies retentions

*please allow me to also give special note, even Expensive Desktop DAC will not be built with this many different PML caps and F-resistors*. Those are technical informations. However, you have to listen to it and decide for yourself of what you want. IMO, if you loved the 1Z, and not prepared to rob a bank, do not try DMP....because you will regret it

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/e_pdfs/pmlcap/Outline_Eng.pdf
http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/products/pmlcap/technote.html
F09C8F2C-A9C1-4CB5-B28D-4605703D203C.jpeg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #28,132 of 45,723
If @nc8000 wants a mini me of the MDR-Z1R , he should try the IER-Z1R

I’m sure I would like them but I’m happy with the Z5 and JH13 and at any rate I can’t afford them

May 30, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #28,133 of 45,723
I’m sure I would like them but I’m happy with the Z5 and JH13 and at any rate I can’t afford them
I consider the IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R plus WM1A to be my end game setup, and to be sincere I sold the z5 because they got pretty beaten up on the paint job, despite I took extreme care of them

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #28,134 of 45,723
I consider the IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R plus WM1A to be my end game setup, and to be sincere I sold the z5 because they got pretty beaten up on the paint job, despite I took extreme care of them

I also have to admit that most of my travel listening is now done with NW-A45 and WH1000XM3 over LDAC from red book flac files. So convenient and sounds great though naturally my wired in ears from 1Z sounds better

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #28,135 of 45,723
can I know best way to stream tidal ?

i.e. download the tidal music and transfer to wm1z ?

May 30, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #28,137 of 45,723
can I know best way to stream tidal ?

i.e. download the tidal music and transfer to wm1z ?

Play Tidal on any device that supports it and then either BT stream or cabled usb dac to the WM

May 30, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #28,139 of 45,723
Is it advisable to pay SGD$800 for a used WM1A in mint condition at this time?

If you like the sound and features I'd say that is a good price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back