SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #14,926 of 45,723
Big cans: perhaps MDR-Z7, MDR-Z1R, HD800S?
IEMS: there are many options, Audeze iSines or iLCD 4, sony's own flagship XBA-Z5, a customs CIEM perhaps?

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #14,927 of 45,723
15069013926171122480015.jpg

Oct 1, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #14,928 of 45,723
Utopia :), or wait for Clear from Focal....or modified SA5000
I checked the focal site. Utopia is $4000. Too pricey for me.

Big cans: perhaps MDR-Z7, MDR-Z1R, HD800S?
IEMS: there are many options, Audeze iSines or iLCD 4, sony's own flagship XBA-Z5, a customs CIEM perhaps?

I've seen other threads that recommend the HD800S for classical music. But, that is with desktop amplifier. I wonder if the high impedance of the HD800 (300 ohms?) is too much for a portable to get effective resolution. That's why I wondered if i should look for a portable amplifier to pair with the WM1A.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #14,929 of 45,723
I think you can get utopia 2nd hand for $2500 to $2800 on sale forum. There's a guy in this forum who bought a portable amp to match with HD800s and 1A/1Z. I forgot who, but he seems satisfied.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #14,930 of 45,723
I checked the focal site. Utopia is $4000. Too pricey for me.

I've seen other threads that recommend the HD800S for classical music. But, that is with desktop amplifier. I wonder if the high impedance of the HD800 (300 ohms?) is too much for a portable to get effective resolution. That's why I wondered if i should look for a portable amplifier to pair with the WM1A.
I use the MDR-Z7 for clssical music and they sound good with it

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #14,932 of 45,723
Testing both players made me think about this today. Myself thinking if the 1z is worth the price difference..

• Which of the 1a and 1z would you pick if the price was the same? Disregarding the weight difference that for some affects portability. Curious to who still picks the 1a out of sound signature preferences.

• Which of the 1a and 1z would you pick if the 1z did cost 500$€ more, e.g. One could imagine paying only for storage and the nice color :) Would you make the same choice(for those of you picking the 1z in question 1)

• How much extra would you who chose the 1z pay extra for it and still pick it in comparison to the 1a

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #14,933 of 45,723
Testing both players made me think about this today. Myself thinking if the 1z is worth the price difference..

• Which of the 1a and 1z would you pick if the price was the same? Disregarding the weight difference that for some affects portability. Curious to who still picks the 1a out of sound signature preferences.

• Which of the 1a and 1z would you pick if the 1z did cost 500$€ more, e.g. One could imagine paying only for storage and the nice color :) Would you make the same choice(for those of you picking the 1z in question 1)

• How much extra would you who chose the 1z pay extra for it and still pick it in comparison to the 1a
I would still choose the 1A because it's black. I can't stand that much gold on anything. Lol.

Honestly, because of the sound (and sound alone) I would've preferred the 1Z. But not at that price difference. I'd pay up to $500 extra for that sound.

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #14,934 of 45,723

Had no chance to try either before buying so went for what should be the top model and wanted the extra storage expecting it to be end game and something I would be keeping for many years. I certainly love what I got

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #14,935 of 45,723

* I would pick 1Z if pricing was the same, sound quality, better components inside
* I would still pick the 1Z if the differences are only $500-700
* 1Z is priceless, because it is one of it kind, and without Sony to pull it off, there wouldn’t be any 1Z at all. Pure copper all around, even chassis, better components all around. Why would you fancy cables, wires upgrades, but not upgrading every bit of components inside your own player ?

Now, a couple days ago, I kindly asked my wife to try the Utopia out of Dx200 and Wm1Z, she doesn’t like portable and headphones, and prefer my stereo system at home even though it is just average. Her conclusion is that she thinks

1Z has stronger dynamic, Fuller tonal body with sharper edges resolutions, and also better bass tones. She mentioned the sound on 1Z is focused and more clear
Dx200 has wider spread images, softer bass tones, less vivid edges resolutions. More spread out presentations

Finally, she deems 1Z to be superior in her judgement. She surprises me for that she never took this hobby of mine seriously.

It is good to have someone else picking the same side as I do, but man....dx200+Amp3 is damn good

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #14,936 of 45,723
* I would pick 1Z if pricing was the same, sound quality, better components inside
* 1Z is priceless, because it is one of it kind, and without Sony to pull it off, there wouldn’t be any 1Z at all. Pure copper all around, even chassis, better components all around. Why would you fancy cables, wires upgrades, but not upgrading every bit of components inside your own player ?

Now, a couple days ago, I kindly asked my wife to try the Utopia out of Dx200 and Wm1Z, she doesn’t like portable and headphones, and prefer my stereo system at home even though it is just average. Her conclusion is that she thinks

1Z has stronger dynamic, Fuller tonal body with sharper edges resolutions, and also better bass tones. She mentioned the sound on 1Z is focused and more clear
Dx200 has wider spread images, softer bass tones, less vivid edges resolutions. More spread out presentations

Finally, she deems 1Z to be superior in her judgement. She surprises me for that she never took this hobby of mine seriously.

It is good to have someone else picking the same side as I do, but man....dx200+Amp3 is damn good
Your wife has good ears

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #14,937 of 45,723
Hello
I recently purchased a WM1A and would like to get opinions on headphones and or amps to complement the WM1A. At the moment, I'm using inexpensive headphones (non-balanced). Before I move to balanced headphones I wanted to get some suggestions.

I listen primarily to chamber music, small combo jazz, vocals and some symphonic music. Not a bass head.

I'm usually sitting down when I use the WM1A. I don't run or exercise with it.

I could spring for up to $2000 USD for additional equipment.

What would you recommend? Should I add an amp? What headphone, cables would work here

For amping Sony PHA-3...For headphones Sony MDR-Z7 and it’s associated upgraded balanced cable. Perfect synergy!

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #14,938 of 45,723
I would still choose the 1A because it's black. I can't stand that much gold on anything. Lol.

Honestly, because of the sound (and sound alone) I would've preferred the 1Z. But not at that price difference. I'd pay up to $500 extra for that sound.

Had no chance to try either before buying so went for what should be the top model and wanted the extra storage expecting it to be end game and something I would be keeping for many years. I certainly love what I got

Very interesting to hear. So far it seems WM1Z is the choice for sound even if it would cost a bit more.

I've mostly listened to the WM1Z so far so cannot make any final conclusions but so far it's just something with the sound of hte WM1Z that sounds just right, and the limited testing of the WM1A is that it's great but it's just not the same.. but as always the difference is not big and possibly wouldn't be noticed without comparing back to back..
I would for sure pay 500 euro extra for the WM1z or a bit more, but not 1500euro which is the case now.
However a note on portability, i actually find no issues with having the WM1Z in my jeans pocket or jacket. And also the weight just adds to the feeling of quality, and you can defend yourself with it if attacked :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #14,939 of 45,723
wm1z is trans-portable and costs 1500 euro more than wm1a

for someone on a budget and wanting something easily movable , wm1a is the logical choice

but this is head-fi in here , so logic is something easily gone missing :L3000:

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #14,940 of 45,723
If wm1z is just cost 500 dollar more and it is black, I will get it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back