SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #14,956 of 45,723
Very interesting to hear. So far it seems WM1Z is the choice for sound even if it would cost a bit more.

I've mostly listened to the WM1Z so far so cannot make any final conclusions but so far it's just something with the sound of hte WM1Z that sounds just right, and the limited testing of the WM1A is that it's great but it's just not the same.. but as always the difference is not big and possibly wouldn't be noticed without comparing back to back..
I would for sure pay 500 euro extra for the WM1z or a bit more, but not 1500euro which is the case now.
However a note on portability, i actually find no issues with having the WM1Z in my jeans pocket or jacket. And also the weight just adds to the feeling of quality, and you can defend yourself with it if attacked :)
Actually, the WM1A is no slouch on it's own. I use it daily with my XBA-Z5 and a Norne Audio Therium cable, and I cannot for the life of me find anything wrong with this sound. It's really as good as it gets. Getting the WM1Z is likely not just a matter of preference (negating the price difference), but if you take the WM1A on it's own, it'll fill several needs already. So unless the WM1Z is really just a fraction more expensive, there's no reason to think of upgrading from a WM1A.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #14,957 of 45,723
very happy with WM1A , a definite improvement/upgrade over ZX2

if i had known how good it is , i would have upgraded from ZX2 months ago but some people said that wm1a was like zx2 (such a wrong assessment) and this stalled me from buying it

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #14,958 of 45,723
Yes mine has not been turned off in the 7 months I’ve had it just like my ZX2 was not turned off in nearly 2 years
Nice! Thanks.

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #14,959 of 45,723
Actually, the WM1A is no slouch on it's own. I use it daily with my XBA-Z5 and a Norne Audio Therium cable, and I cannot for the life of me find anything wrong with this sound. It's really as good as it gets. Getting the WM1Z is likely not just a matter of preference (negating the price difference), but if you take the WM1A on it's own, it'll fill several needs already. So unless the WM1Z is really just a fraction more expensive, there's no reason to think of upgrading from a WM1A.
Totally agree, it is an end gamer for me. Better in all angles and in sq compare to my previous and current rig which is X5 1st gen with E12A, Aune M2 Pro and Opus #1. On this player that I experience like I am in inside the room together with the performers.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #14,960 of 45,723
Totally agree, it is an end gamer for me. Better in all angles and in sq compare to my previous and current rig which is X5 1st gen with E12A, Aune M2 Pro and Opus #1. On this player that I experience like I am in inside the room together with the performers.
I upgraded to WM1A from my X5II with E12A.

I like the space feeling that WM1A gives too~

The depth the slight echo effect i experience in some of the sound in the music created a nice ambience feel.

Some tracks i can feel the sound/vocal directs towards me from soft to loud then fades away with slight echo.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #14,962 of 45,723
Is it just me, or does 96khz - 24bit sound better than 192khz - 24bit on the Sony NW-WM1A?

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #14,964 of 45,723
So I spoke to one of the designers of the WM1Z at the indulgence show and the features are coming in NOV.
Looking forward to the update.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #14,965 of 45,723
Is it just me, or does 96khz - 24bit sound better than 192khz - 24bit on the Sony NW-WM1A?

Many variables dictate that. The entire recording, engineering and mastering have an effect as well as
which wrapper it is all stuffed in. I have Redbook that sounds awesome and some that makes mono vinyl sound hi res. Its all a crap shoot

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #14,967 of 45,723
I have 320kbps MP3 that sounds phenomenal.
I can't believe if was MP3 file.

Mastering and Recording is more important than anything else.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #14,968 of 45,723
Anyone else wished to see Sony adapt a UI more like AK? I love to have the sound of WM1Z with UI of my AK70.

Heck no. AK players is just Android, the cross bar Sony UI is way more intuitive. I really like the ability to flick up/down/left/right and have access to all the most used features.

There's one thing that I wish they would add though - the ZX300 has repeat/shuffle button on the main player screen which you can tap to cycle through the modes instead of the current "setting>repeat/shuffle" selection. That I wish they would bring over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back