SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #14,986 of 45,723
I understand it to be a great player. However, 99% of the time I stream Tidal but will eventually start downloading hi-res files but Tidal is huge for me. Maybe someday Sony will embrace streaming because I would love to pair a Sony DAP with my PHA-3 and Z7 with the upgraded Kimble Kable. In the interim I’ll continue to use my laptop and iDevices.
Japanese has a huge heart of enthusiasm for music, and still...they don’t stream anything for music. That is why Sony don’t see it as a selling point yet, and instead, every enthusiasts in Japan only want a pure music player and that has nothing in the tap to tap away the better and power supply. That means no Bluetooth...no nfc...no WiFi......though 1A/Z has Bluetooth and nfc.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #14,988 of 45,723
Japanese has a huge heart of enthusiasm for music, and still...they don’t stream anything for music. That is why Sony don’t see it as a selling point yet, and instead, every enthusiasts in Japan only want a pure music player and that has nothing in the tap to tap away the better and power supply. That means no Bluetooth...no nfc...no WiFi......though 1A/Z has Bluetooth and nfc.

There’s a huge market outside of Japan that has embraced streaming. Like you said maybe one day Sony will see that market.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #14,989 of 45,723
There’s a huge market outside of Japan that has embraced streaming. Like you said maybe one day Sony will see that market.

Considering that most streaming services are losing money, is it really that big of a market or just a bubble?

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #14,991 of 45,723
Considering that most streaming services are losing money, is it really that big of a market or just a bubble?

Not only that but none of the streaming service can match the 24bit hi-res quality of any of the website that sell HD music.

If I'm not wrong the HiFi quality of tidal match the one of the cd (44.1 kHZ 16bit), don't know about Spotify.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #14,994 of 45,723
Not a bubble. These services has millions of customers. Maybe Sony can cultivate a few.

It doesn't matter they have millions of customers when most STILL lose money, which means their current business model is unsustainable, thus it's a bubble.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #14,995 of 45,723
It doesn't matter they have millions of customers when most STILL lose money, which means their current business model is unsustainable, thus it's a bubble.

Very true, and IMO, I personally rather collect, buy, download selected tracks that I favor...even if it is a bit more pricy and has better quality. Then I rather have the collection into my best Dedicated DAP or server for my system.

If I stream anything, it would be YouTube, and still be selective

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #14,997 of 45,723
There are a few DAPs than can play MQA. Tidal has over 48.5 songs in their catalog. Nothing to sneeze at and you more than likely can find the artists you like.
Look at the WM1A/Z as if they are classic turntables. I own my music and listen to my albums over and over again. This is not only common in Japan, it is a global customer base. I could not care less about streaming. I want the best possible sound and no Jack of all Trades, the eats through the battery in record time.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #14,998 of 45,723
this thread has now reached 1000 pages . wow

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #14,999 of 45,723
Of course Sony is aware of Spotify and the streaming focus for music in many countries today.

1. They own a large part of Spotify (togheter with Warner, Unviversal and other major labels).
2. They get income from artists being played.
3. They do complain on occasion about streaming "stealing" form the CD sales... (strange since they both get income from spotify streams and also income from whenever Spotify IPS:s or actually earn money).

Of course Sony Music is different from Sony Electronics or whatever they are called, but i would be very surprised if they only look to Japan with their involvement in the at the moment leading service for streaming.

So they sit on more than one chair, and if can of course also be that each company is more or less a silo midning their own business :)

But these two DAP:S are not made for the "streaming generation".. Or more so with the goal to avoid any type of negative affect of the sound, like wifi or apps they cannot control etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back