SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #14,896 of 45,723
And you are using properly balanced headphones and not single ended headphones via an adapter ?
Ok now I understand what you guys mean - I always had my IEM's on and didn't hear the relay click from the unit itself. I had mine off when I switched tracks with different clock rates and I heard the click/click from the relays. Unfortunately - I am hearing snap, crackle and pop in my IEM's now that I am using balanced and it's only coming from left channel.... oh oh... sounds like a defective unit
See if you can try another 4.4mm cable, or another IEM with 4.4mm cable, to eliminate a defective cable/solder connection as a possible cause. From a friend, or a store?

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #14,897 of 45,723
See if you can try another 4.4mm cable, or another IEM with 4.4mm cable, to eliminate a defective cable/solder connection as a possible cause. From a friend, or a store?
All tried... Yes and multiple Sony units have this issue. Not a big deal but it is a little annoying.

Regarding defective cable/solder - if you think about it that would create intermittent issues randomly anytime and most probably when you wriggle the cable.This is not the case it happens when you switch clock bases on the digital files between 48khz and 44.1khz and also in DSD mode 64/128/256 and only happens at the beginning 1/2 second of the track before things start up. Unlikely to be a cable issue and yes tried with different cables and both from very reputable companies and not DIY stuff

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #14,898 of 45,723
Anybody who bought these players knew that they didn’t have dac feature just like everybody knew they didn’t have streaming ability so nobody is being slaped in the face. I personally bought mine amongst other reasons precisely because it didn’t have those features, I wanted a device that concentrated all effort on being the best possible play back device of on board music and nothing else
Agree with this, while i sometimes crave for USB DAC, i still like my player

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #14,900 of 45,723
It would be so much practical, though, I agree as we bought into 1A/Z expecting it to be fully just dedicated player by itself...no WiFi....don’t know why NFC...lol

NFC is for easy pairing with the Bluetooth headphones, because Sony is confident their LDAC enabled headphones are plenty good enough for audiophile grade usage.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #14,903 of 45,723
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #14,905 of 45,723
Vintage Sony meets modern Sony
Thank you a great friend :D
MDR-E741 buds
D7ACE610-D009-43B0-AECE-9DB4E7B3E6E6.jpeg
AF5603F9-8406-4EE8-8329-C4897D17AF49.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #14,906 of 45,723
it's a little surprising that such an expensive player put in a set of headphones.

Perhaps, but it is entirely consistent with the DAP industry as a whole. Ultimately, Sony does seem to try and produce a coherent product lineup and is doubtless hoping that people will buy some Sony headphones/earphones as well as the DAP. The other trouble is, whatever headphones/earphones they bundled with the device would likely come in for some heavy criticism; far better to let people use what they like I think.

..having said that, I'm all for them throwing in some cheap high-impedance IEMs, to get around the EU volume cap regulations!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #14,907 of 45,723
it's a little surprising that such an expensive player put in a set of headphones.

People buying a device in this price range would never want to use anything that Sony might bundle, they probably already have what they want to use anyway, so it would only serve to further raise the price. This goes for essentially all dap makers as well as the makers of portable dac/amps

Sep 30, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #14,908 of 45,723
People buying a device in this price range would never want to use anything that Sony might bundle, they probably already have what they want to use anyway, so it would only serve to further raise the price. This goes for essentially all dap makers as well as the makers of portable dac/amps

I don’t know why, but it makes a lot of senses :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back