SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #14,913 of 45,723
Just asking me if my HD600 would stand up to Utopia...

Probably not, but in their own right HD600 is a very fine headphone and surely beats Utopia soundly in the value for money stakes

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #14,914 of 45,723
People buying a device in this price range would never want to use anything that Sony might bundle, they probably already have what they want to use anyway, so it would only serve to further raise the price. This goes for essentially all dap makers as well as the makers of portable dac/amps
I never used bundled heapfones, i ways gave them to a friend or sister or threw them away :D

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #14,915 of 45,723
what headphones are supplied with this player?

Not sure about global.

Not supplied but SONY Singapore have promotions that give free IEMs till end of October~
Previous promotion was free MDR-1000X with WM1Z if i remember correctly.

Sony.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #14,916 of 45,723
Last night I listened to Sophie Zelmani in bed with my wm1z and ue11 pro.
I've never had such experience even with the utopias out of my moon 430. Not sure if it was caused by the dark room and laying in bed but it was an awesome experience. It felt so real and especially her voice was/is as if she was there with me. I actually even thought my ue pro 11 isn't the most resolving by today's standard heard so much new sounds, instruments, layering and details that I was just laying there smiling and couldn't stop listening. And the overall key was that is just sounded so real. That for me is at this moment 1 week into owning the wm1z the main on word summary. Real. Hard to describe but the feeling where it just feels and sounds right and you are just IN the music

Also I do recommend anyone here to give Sophie Zelmani a try if (for example I'm the rain) you haven't heard about her before.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #14,917 of 45,723
Last night I listened to Sophie Zelmani in bed with my wm1z and ue11 pro.
I've never had such experience even with the utopias out of my moon 430. Not sure if it was caused by the dark room and laying in bed but it was an awesome experience. It felt so real and especially her voice was/is as if she was there with me. I actually even thought my ue pro 11 isn't the most resolving by today's standard heard so much new sounds, instruments, layering and details that I was just laying there smiling and couldn't stop listening. And the overall key was that is just sounded so real. That for me is at this moment 1 week into owning the wm1z the main on word summary. Real. Hard to describe but the feeling where it just feels and sounds right and you are just IN the music

Also I do recommend anyone here to give Sophie Zelmani a try if (for example I'm the rain) you haven't heard about her before.

The one thing that 1Z does so amazingly well is the Vocal and the bass

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #14,918 of 45,723
Strings too~

Piano, Violins, Guitar~ amazing to listen to.

I never enjoy instrumentals till i got my 1A combo~

I felt like i am in the Concert hall itself, instruments coming from everywhere.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #14,919 of 45,723
Strings too~

Piano, Violins, Guitar~ amazing to listen to.

I never enjoy instrumentals till i got my 1A combo~

I felt like i am in the Concert hall itself instruments coming from everywhere.

Yes, totally agree, the only set back is the expansiveness of stage :D, but well....as long as physicality is a litmitation, then the performances will have it limitations as well.

It seems: Tonal body, Soundstage, Details....pick 2 :D to Do your best

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #14,920 of 45,723
People buying a device in this price range would never want to use anything that Sony might bundle, they probably already have what they want to use anyway, so it would only serve to further raise the price. This goes for essentially all dap makers as well as the makers of portable dac/amps
+1

LPG or Hifiman HM901s for instance doesn't come with bundled headphones/earphones... And as far as I know, none of the AK models either...

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #14,921 of 45,723
Yes, totally agree, the only set back is the expansiveness of stage :D, but well....as long as physicality is a litmitation, then the performances will have it limitations as well.

It seems: Tonal body, Soundstage, Details....pick 2 :D

I understand what you mean :D

I have my older player which smack all the details in your face but not so 3D sounding. Width is there but the depth is not.

Although some details seems a little faint compared to my old DAP but WM1A give me a lot better "space" feel.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #14,922 of 45,723
That for me is at this moment 1 week into owning the wm1z the main on word summary. Real. Hard to describe but the feeling where it just feels and sounds right and you are just IN the music .

i've pretty much had this feeling from the first day i owned it, no matter what cans/music is playing...currently just listening to 5KHZ dsfs of some old (but clean) vinyl rips before i sell the actual record
have an ak240, but this is as close to being there..it picks up every nuance of the recording, and yes, when it's dark and quiet, your mind can focus on what is coming through the ears way better

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #14,923 of 45,723
I agree with above posts, WM1A and Z sound so smooth and relaxed, fluidly and real, the highs aren't harsh (once fully burned), yup i agree with stage, maybe 1Z has more stage but i feel 1A represents the venue of the recording so accurately real

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #14,924 of 45,723
Hello
I recently purchased a WM1A and would like to get opinions on headphones and or amps to complement the WM1A. At the moment, I'm using inexpensive headphones (non-balanced). Before I move to balanced headphones I wanted to get some suggestions.

I listen primarily to chamber music, small combo jazz, vocals and some symphonic music. Not a bass head.

I'm usually sitting down when I use the WM1A. I don't run or exercise with it.

I could spring for up to $2000 USD for additional equipment.

What would you recommend? Should I add an amp? What headphone, cables would work here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back