SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #12,601 of 45,723
The thread is huge, so I couldn't read each and every page and sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a few questions:

1. I own Lotoo Paw Gold (LPG) and Hugo. I had the chance of comparing them while using Z1R as headphones. Considering Z1R will be the main headphones, how does LPG's SE output compare with WM1A's balanced output?
2. Again, how does Hugo's output compare with WM1A's balanced output when paired with Z1R?
3. Also, can a Sony Walkman micro usb adapter be used (WMP-NWM10 BM) to connect WM1A to Hugo without any problems when paired with a micro-usb-to-micro-usb cable?

I am considering getting a WM1A, if its balanced output is better than LPG. It will be a nice portable solution and a perfect DSD transport at the same time.

I would appreciate your valuable comments...

Answer to 3 is no you need the digital out cable
WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #12,602 of 45,723
Answer to 3 is no you need the digital out cable
WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable

Thank you for the reply. That's first bad news. I already have a very nice DIY micro usb cable that works brilliantly with Hugo. I don't like sticking with some crap digital cable.

Answers to 1 and 2 will play a bigger role in my decision then... Let's see what turns out...

Thanks again...

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #12,603 of 45,723
IMG_1144.JPG
There are also modified nwh10 Walkman digital cables, and you can use it with wm1z

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #12,605 of 45,723
There are also modified nwh10 Walkman digital cables, and you can use it with wm1z

The cable in the pic looks very nice indeed. Where can I get this cable? Or better, where does one get the walkman connector for digital out?

Also, I am still looking for impressions vs LPG and Hugo, with Z1R of course...

Thanks again for the comments...

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #12,606 of 45,723
Where can I get this cable? Or better said:
Chuck WMC-NWH10 into ebay and take your pick - unless you have contacts in the far east who can get one for you.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #12,607 of 45,723

I said "the cable in the pic". The cable shown in the picture is not the official Sony cable...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #12,609 of 45,723

This cable will also work with Hugo and wm1a/z also compact as well
This cable does not have Sony hardware, which explains the large connector on the Walkman side. Sony hardware is proprietary, so the only way to use it is to be modifying stock Sony dongle, and trust me when I say that there are quality and performances to gain :). People who have not heard of the modified cables will not believe it, but whoever knows USB cables can affect the sound, they will know what I am talking about

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #12,610 of 45,723
This cable does not have Sony hardware, which explains the large connector on the Walkman side. Sony hardware is proprietary, so the only way to use it is to be modifying stock Sony dongle, and trust me when I say that there are quality and performances to gain :). People who have not heard of the modified cables will not believe it, but whoever knows USB cables can affect the sound, they will know what I am talking about

I can confirm that USB cables can affect the sound a lot. I made a few usb cables myself, even micro usb ones, and I can clearly say, don't believe that "with digital signal, cable does not matter" BS. If there is a non-believer that USB cables would make a difference, s/he should read the whole USB protocol and realize at least its problems with audio files...

Friends, usb cables make indeed a difference, at least in audio world...

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #12,611 of 45,723

I have both cables and both sound the same

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #12,612 of 45,723
I know this has probably been asked before but i dont wish to sieve through countless pages here.

I was checking to see if i plugged in my earphones fully (it was plugged in fully btw) hence i applied additional pressure and i observed that my iem 3.5 plug kinda sprung back just a wee bit and back again....

Is this normal? pardon my paranoia

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #12,614 of 45,723
Thank you for the reply. That's first bad news. I already have a very nice DIY micro usb cable that works brilliantly with Hugo. I don't like sticking with some crap digital cable.

Answers to 1 and 2 will play a bigger role in my decision then... Let's see what turns out...

Thanks again...

I popped the case of the Sony hi res digital out cable and re terminated it to micro usb with pure silver wires/ silver solder, it is a good quality cable ( stock one not to look at i admit) but once done it keeps the chain down and now is perfect, well for me anyway.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #12,615 of 45,723
I can confirm that USB cables can affect the sound a lot. I made a few usb cables myself, even micro usb ones, and I can clearly say, don't believe that "with digital signal, cable does not matter" BS. If there is a non-believer that USB cables would make a difference, s/he should read the whole USB protocol and realize at least its problems with audio files...

Friends, usb cables make indeed a difference, at least in audio world...

I've worked with production and digital for over 10 years, and the only thing I'll add, we have had an assortment of some of the best high end audio visual and computer equipment come and go, and all of it has been plugged in using the stock USB cables that have some with the hardware.

I'm yet to see a studio or high end production setup that uses upgraded USB cables.

My background is actually IT, and I hate to say it, using fancy materials in Sata cables, USB cables etc, makes 0 difference to the speed or data carried from interface to interface, no performance gains at all. If there was, trust me, IT hardware manafactures would be all over it. With computer hardware , fancy cables gets you looks and durability.

What part of the USB protocol are you referring to in regards to audio? Cause protocol design and inherent issues are not solved by cable materials .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back