1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840
842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851
Next

Last
  1. ledzep
    Answer to 3 is no you need the digital out cable
    WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. artears
    Thank you for the reply. That's first bad news. I already have a very nice DIY micro usb cable that works brilliantly with Hugo. I don't like sticking with some crap digital cable.

Answers to 1 and 2 will play a bigger role in my decision then... Let's see what turns out...

Thanks again...

3. Whitigir
    IMG_1144.JPG There are also modified nwh10 Walkman digital cables, and you can use it with wm1z

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. gerelmx1986
    I love the capacity of the Walkman 256GB micro SD + 128GB music for months

5. artears
    The cable in the pic looks very nice indeed. Where can I get this cable? Or better, where does one get the walkman connector for digital out?

Also, I am still looking for impressions vs LPG and Hugo, with Z1R of course...

Thanks again for the comments...

6. mw7485

7. artears
    I said "the cable in the pic". The cable shown in the picture is not the official Sony cable...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  8. bvng3540
    IMG_1286.PNG

This cable will also work with Hugo and wm1a/z also compact as well

9. Whitigir
    This cable does not have Sony hardware, which explains the large connector on the Walkman side. Sony hardware is proprietary, so the only way to use it is to be modifying stock Sony dongle, and trust me when I say that there are quality and performances to gain :). People who have not heard of the modified cables will not believe it, but whoever knows USB cables can affect the sound, they will know what I am talking about

artears likes this.
  10. artears
    I can confirm that USB cables can affect the sound a lot. I made a few usb cables myself, even micro usb ones, and I can clearly say, don't believe that "with digital signal, cable does not matter" BS. If there is a non-believer that USB cables would make a difference, s/he should read the whole USB protocol and realize at least its problems with audio files...

Friends, usb cables make indeed a difference, at least in audio world...

Whitigir likes this.
  11. bvng3540
    I have both cables and both sound the same

12. 13candles
    I know this has probably been asked before but i dont wish to sieve through countless pages here.

I was checking to see if i plugged in my earphones fully (it was plugged in fully btw) hence i applied additional pressure and i observed that my iem 3.5 plug kinda sprung back just a wee bit and back again....

Is this normal? pardon my paranoia

13. mpc8240
    :L3000:

14. ledzep
    I popped the case of the Sony hi res digital out cable and re terminated it to micro usb with pure silver wires/ silver solder, it is a good quality cable ( stock one not to look at i admit) but once done it keeps the chain down and now is perfect, well for me anyway.

15. MH01
    I've worked with production and digital for over 10 years, and the only thing I'll add, we have had an assortment of some of the best high end audio visual and computer equipment come and go, and all of it has been plugged in using the stock USB cables that have some with the hardware.

I'm yet to see a studio or high end production setup that uses upgraded USB cables.

My background is actually IT, and I hate to say it, using fancy materials in Sata cables, USB cables etc, makes 0 difference to the speed or data carried from interface to interface, no performance gains at all. If there was, trust me, IT hardware manafactures would be all over it. With computer hardware , fancy cables gets you looks and durability.

What part of the USB protocol are you referring to in regards to audio? Cause protocol design and inherent issues are not solved by cable materials .

stenog likes this.
First

Back
831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840
842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851
Next

Last