SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #12,121 of 45,723
I see. I took a look online at the pictures for a Z5 balanced cable and see that the other end is terminated to 2 x MMCX at the IEM end. I didn't realize they made this cable, but I guess this must have been made to connect to the Sony PHAxx amplifier.

May 16, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #12,122 of 45,723
I see. I took a look online at the pictures for a Z5 balanced cable and see that the other end is terminated to 2 x MMCX at the IEM end. I didn't realize they made this cable, but I guess this must have been made to connect to the Sony PHAxx amplifier.

Correctomundo. Or, you could use it with the Pono balanced out. Not sure what else uses dual 3.5mm plugs though. Doubtless Sony engineered the cable to dovetail with their own gear - anything else is likely a pleasant bonus.

May 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #12,123 of 45,723
Had a chance to, try my friend's WM1Z on Single Ended, and compare it with my LPG.

The presentation on the 1Z is neutrally positioned, unlike the LPG which has a forward presentation. I was expecting 1Z to be warm and thick based on the reviews/impressions here. iPhone 6 is what I would call warm and thick. 1Z is neutral in tone with a hint of warmth and is smooth sounding. It is a result of full bodied mids and smooth treble and, not because of a warm bass. If you are coming from a thin sounding device, the full-bodied notes may give an impression of thickness, while in reality it really isn't because the bass is neither enhanced nor loose bass.

The bass on the 1Z, while neutral and tight, doesn't have the power and definition of LPG's bass. The bass tone is also not so accurate on the 1Z. LPG simply trumps the 1Z in the bass section. The mid-range can be a matter of preference and both the devices excel in different aspects. LPG's mid-range has better resolution, note articulation and instrumental timbres. 1Z's mid-range has a more natural tone with similar transparency. The note sizes are also bigger and better on the 1Z.

Vocals are a bit brighter and more articulate on the LPG, owing to the enhanced upper-mid-range, while the vocals are smoother on the 1Z, as the upper mid-range is linear. While the vocal density is similar, the vocal size again is bigger and more satisfying on the 1Z. Pitch fluctuations in the vocals and wind instruments, are easier to perceive on the 1Z than the LPG, because the thick treble on the LPG (as @flinkenick puts it), overshadows these fluctuations.

With the brightness and thickness, LPG's treble adds excitement and precision to the presentation. But it also negatively impacts the tonal balance of the overall presentation. The treble on the 1Z is smoother but also less articulate. LPG has the upper hand in the treble tone and treble extension. With better resolution, extension and brighter treble, LPG is more revealing and detailed. Because of which, it is very unforgiving, especially when paired with a phone/IEM that is not warm. 1Z on the other hand is smooth and forgiving.

The stage on both the devices is clean and 3 dimensional with excellent depth and height. But 1Z's stage is wider resulting in a more expansive stage. While the separation and layering are in the same ballpark for both the devices, the imaging is better rooted on the LPG due to higher resolution and darker spaces between the instruments.

While the LPG excels in technicalities, 1Z falls in the category that aims to solve, one of the biggest problems that this community has been facing ever since getting into this hobby. While we truly appreciate the sheer technical capabilities, most of the audiophile-grade devices offer, some of us have been forced to turn our backs on some of our favorite albums/tracks, because those were poorly recorded or mastered. Some of us hoped that there was a reliable device, that would be forgiving of these albums/tracks, while retaining some of the desired features found in the audiophile-grade devices such as; expansive 3D stage, excellent separation & layering and good resolution. If you are one of those people and are flexible/open on the budget, 1Z should be an excellent choice of a DAP.

file.jpeg

May 17, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #12,125 of 45,723
Like dragonball says "It is not even it's final form!"

May 17, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #12,126 of 45,723
I've not heard the LPG properly for along time although @EagleWings is a little bit of a surprise to me. It definitely tickled my desire to do a comparison myself. I do personally disagree with the other posters who feels his approach is lacking though. The LPG is an SE only and in fact I think it's perfectly fair to compare SE to SE.

As I've mentioned before, I feel the NW-WM1Z's SE is unfairly "dumbed down" to make balanced shine so dramatically.

May 17, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #12,128 of 45,723
I've not heard the LPG properly for along time although @EagleWings is a little bit of a surprise to me. It definitely tickled my desire to do a comparison myself. I do personally disagree with the other posters who feels his approach is lacking though. The LPG is an SE only and in fact I think it's perfectly fair to compare SE to SE.

As I've mentioned before, I feel the NW-WM1Z's SE is unfairly "dumbed down" to make balanced shine so dramatically.

I think you have to use each device in it's best possible setting otherwise you might dismiss a device based on far less than wat it can perform

May 17, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #12,129 of 45,723
After 2 weeks, yes, the 1Z balanced is great. Now I am just waiting for the magic 200h which will be like reverse Cinderella: from pumpkin to carriage in an instant :wink:

Still looking for the IEM to make full use of its potential..I have a ...Dream

May 17, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #12,130 of 45,723
Just joint the club with the WM1A today here in Saigon. Took awhile to get it loaded up with music and charged up. Now I am gong through all my full size cans to see what each is like. Fresh out of the box in the first 3 hours the HD800S even on high gain has very little volume on SE. The z1R Sony is ok volume on the 4.4. And now trying the Hifiman Edition X v1, still no bass at all. Might need a few days or might be best only with IEM's? I never liked my IEM since I don't like the way it feel inside my ear. I only do full size cans now. Let's see what happens by morning? Any thoughts guys and gals?

May 17, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #12,131 of 45,723
Just joint the club with the WM1A today here in Saigon. Took awhile to get it loaded up with music and charged up. Now I am gong through all my full size cans to see what each is like. Fresh out of the box in the first 3 hours the HD800S even on high gain has very little volume on SE. The z1R Sony is ok volume on the 4.4. And now trying the Hifiman Edition X v1, still no bass at all. Might need a few days or might be best only with IEM's? I never liked my IEM since I don't like the way it feel inside my ear. I only do full size cans now. Let's see what happens by morning? Any thoughts guys and gals?

Most full-size cans will benefit greatly from the extra power the balanced output provides. If you have several that all terminate similarly in balanced fashion (e.g., 4-pin xlr, etc), it might behoove you to get one of those 4.4mm to [insert connection] adapters so you can utilize the balanced output. I can confirm the HD800's (the originals, not the "S" model) sound pretty great via the balanced output--I only perhaps wished for a little more headroom on certain tracks that are generally softer in volume. Anyway, it is a very capable player, and certainly not limited to IEM use. Enjoy!! :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #12,132 of 45,723
Currently happy using my Fiio X5III (balanced) for mobile audio when out & about and did previously have a ZX2. From a purely audio quality perspective and only using SE846's, would the 1A/1Z be better than a Chord Hugo, the newer Hugo 2 actually.

I could get a 2nd hand 1A for £590 or go higher expense of a new Hugo 2 which I can pre-order. Anybody had/heard both. Would my SE846's resolve the audio quality of this higher end kit compared to a ZX2/X5III ? Just can't get on with headphones and still think my SE846's sound superb when fed from a decent source.

PS. No way I can afford both and Hugo 2 can double up to feed a home system too.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #12,133 of 45,723
After 2 weeks, yes, the 1Z balanced is great. Now I am just waiting for the magic 200h which will be like reverse Cinderella: from pumpkin to carriage in an instant :wink:

Still looking for the IEM to make full use of its potential..I have a ...Dream
Noble K10 CIEM with DHC symbiote cable.. I use it currently SE with TRRS and man this combo sounds soo good with WM1z

PC

May 17, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #12,134 of 45,723
Noble K10 CIEM with DHC symbiote cable.. I use it currently SE with TRRS and man this combo sounds soo good with WM1z

PC

Have read up a fair bit on the K10 & Encore but some say better, others say just different compared to the SE846's. Will try to test at some point but can't go blind purchase on them as over £1,800 in UK for the Encore. Currently pursuing source improvement over any new IEM's hence my interest in the Hugo 2 vs 1A as the 1Z is too far over my financial comfort zone as can only find new.

Did previously enjoy the excellent Mojo so expecting 1A & Hugo 2 to improve on that (if cost is any indication anyway, which I know it isn't always as I'm finding the Fiio X5III is bargain vs performance).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back