SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #6,811 of 45,723
Only one fleabay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182413856847

i am hunting for the better warehouse uk amazon priced catches

and i know my luck which means it will not appear anytime soon on warehouse uk amazon

i should have bought the wm1z for 2000 usd on second hand for sale forum that was european

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #6,812 of 45,723
i am hunting for the better warehouse uk amazon priced catches

and i know my luck which means it will not appear anytime soon on warehouse uk amazon

i should have bought the wm1z for 2000 usd on second hand for sale forum that was european

Fingers crossed for you , glad I bought a new one at £800 and 2 warehouse ones at £658 ( which were mint condition) for friends who now owe me a drink or three :grinning:

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #6,813 of 45,723
this 'turn your EU 1a into non-eu' hacking thing is great , as there will be no more waiting for a non-eu version to appear here FS , like i did with the zx2

bookmarked the hacking page for future use

@CraftyClown great find 
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #6,815 of 45,723
WM1A vs WM1Z Comparison

I recently spent several hours A-B testing the 1A and 1Z and thought I'd share my observations. All testing was done with my Fitear MH335DW SRs. The units were set to direct mode with low gain. I tested three different pairs of units for just over an hour each:

Shop 1: Firmware 1.0, 1A 71 hours, 1Z 36 hours
Shop 2: Firmware 1.01, 1A 139 hours, 1Z 83 hours
Shop 3. Firmware 1.02, 1A 105 hours, 1Z 132 hours

These were all store demo units so I can't say how many hours went into balanced vs. single ended use. I did the majority of my listening on the 3.5 single ended output, but Shop 3 had a 4.4->2.5 adapter available so I did some listening in balanced mode there.

Diana Krall - Love Me Like a Man
Album : The Girl In The Other Room
DSD64
1A: Clear sound, more emphasis on leading edges and hence a more 'toe tapping', exciting sound. 'S' sounds stand out more in vocals
1Z: Less emphasis on 's' sounds, more relaxed feeling, details I noticed on the 1A went unnoticed here.
On this song I preferred the 1A as I felt it better conveyed the drive and rhythm of the song.

Diana Krall - Departure Bay
Album : The Girl In The Other Room
DSD64
1A: This song also had a strong sense of clarity in both vocals and instruments. The singer's breathing was also more apparent.
1Z: The 1Z made the track feel more intimate. Room ambience was much more apparent, especially in the vocals. Emphasis was on tonality over detail.
The 1Z pulled ahead on this track, conveying the emotion in the singer's voice beautifully.

Cowboy Junkies - Supernatural
Album: The Nomad Series Volume 4 - Demons
FLAC 16/44
1A: Airy sounding, string plucks sound great, more forward sound, imaging is pinpoint sharp.
1Z: Natural, relaxed, sense of ambience is great, more smoothly distributed soundstage.
I enjoyed both players on this track, so I won't pick a winner here.

Dvořák: Symphony No. 9, From the New World, 1st movement
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted by István Kertész
DSD64
1A: The horn section stood out more on the 1A. It also presented an overall more powerful presentation.
1Z: The strings were a strong point of the 1Z, where they had an excellent sense of tone and resonance. The soundstage was equivalent in width and depth to the 1A but sounded more coherent with the different instruments flowing into one another.
I'll give this one to the 1Z, but on the condition that I'd want to use a higher volume setting vs the 1A to achieve the proper sense of scale.

Saint-Saëns - Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso Op. 28
Your Lie In April Soundtrack
FLAC 24/96
1A: Pure tone, sense of accuracy, better drive and excitement. Light and prancing violin. The breathing of the violinist was more obvious vs the 1Z.
1Z: full bodied sound, excellent hall ambience and reverberation, can hear the wood of the violin. Emphasis on tone over air.
I enjoyed both players on this track, but I'll give a slight edge to the 1A. It delivers better on the excitement of the piece and on the nuances of the bow work here.

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Album: Twilight of the Thunder God
MP3 320 Kbps
I didn't take detailed notes for this track. Based on the above results though I expected the 1A to win here. Interestingly though the 1Z held its own, losing nothing to the 1A. I expect it would also be a bit less fatiguing in long listening sessions.

So the question now is which one to buy...and I'm still not sure I've made a decision. It's hard to rationally justify the price premium of the 1Z, but it does do some great things with acoustic music and has a wonderfully luxurious feel. I think based on sound alone though many people will actually prefer the 1A. It has a more versatile signature and will appeal to people that like accuracy and detail. In return for its great ambience and tone the 1Z tends to remove the excitement and drive from some songs.

Hope some people will find this useful!

great impressions , the more i read about 1a/1z , the more i am convince that 1a is the one for me sound-wise and also as the definite better 'bang-for-buck' dap (limited budget is also a huge factor here as well)

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #6,816 of 45,723
where can i buy an uncapped wm1a from?
i tried contacting calvin at music sanctuary but he only responded a few times then i did not hear back. poor customer service.

anyone else?

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #6,817 of 45,723
great comaprison above between 1a and 1z, however i would liked to know simply would the bass be way less in 1a than 1z, as bass is important to me

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #6,818 of 45,723
Is that so, most unbalanced cable has two cables from each driver R+ and ground, L+ and ground, 4 wires in total, and where the 4 wires meet at the Y section, the two ground is usually wired together to form one, adding the R+ and L+, making it 3 cables to the 3.5 plug.

So if you are saying it has 4 in total, that will be great, I have 3 spare cables,1 ex600 and 2 ex1000, thats not incuding those already attached to the ear piece. Then I can have them rewired as well. 

Can confirm it's got 4 separate strands,the grey socket (left) is on the tip and the first ring and the red (right) is on the third and fourth ring,that's on the Japanese EX1000 cable probably same on the US model but I know the Japanese model has a better quality set of cables than the US one.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #6,819 of 45,723
i tried contacting calvin at music sanctuary but he only responded a few times then i did not hear back. poor customer service.

anyone else?
accessory jack

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #6,821 of 45,723
this 'turn your EU 1a into non-eu' hacking thing is great , as there will be no more waiting for a non-eu version to appear here FS , like i did with the zx2

bookmarked the hacking page for future use

@CraftyClown
 great find :beerchug:  

No worries mate, just glad to help :)

Nothing for ZX2 Eu ? It has a firmware, too.

I'm afraid the ZX2 will not be possible with this hack. Tests were done yesterday, however the Android firmware does not respond in the same way as the Sony one. Sorry about that.

anyone else?

With this new hack you'll no longer need an un-capped device. 10 seconds in front of a PC and all the devices are the same :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #6,823 of 45,723
The WM1Z does not show it potentials until 250 hours and more....mark my words
biggrin.gif

​Reaching right now 29:44 hours and sounds smooth yet musical as i like. To contrast i really didn't like the Signature of the ZX100, way too revealing and lacking emotion conveyance like the WM1A does. WM1A has beautiful emotional convetance esp with vocal Works and chamber works. THE MDR-Z7 subbass really screwn DEEEP!!!!! wow deeper than zx100

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #6,824 of 45,723
70+hrs there should be a change.

Even at 200+ hours it's still changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• SUBA
Back