SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,781 of 45,723
  My guess would be they might disable this workaround in a future firmware (assuming they see this as voiding the warranty, etc). In that scenario, all current units would be able to still disable the volume limit, but new units with a more recent firmware may no longer able to. I also think once enabled, it's not likely to revert with future updates, seems like they're just going off internal region settings when installing firmware.

Still, I'm glad this worked for you, and without much incident it seems 
biggrin.gif
 The only question remaining is the effect on warranty, though I'm sure it's still worthwhile for many to do this

Well the great thing is it's fully reversable.

I'm not sure Sony will worry about preventing it either. They only set the limitation to abide by EU laws, which they have done. It's not their fault if someone manages to bypass it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #6,782 of 45,723

Well the great thing is it's fully reversable.

I'm not sure Sony will worry about preventing it either. They only set the limitation to abide by EU laws, which they have done. It's not their fault if someone manages to bypass it.

I'm certainly hoping they see it this way too, would be great if they threw their European fans a bone and closed one eye to this workaround. Technically all EU devices still meet the regulation requirements during sale, let people do what they want at their own risk once it's purchased 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #6,783 of 45,723
  Certainly does seem that way for now, but these things tend to also be updated, eh? That's why there's a version number on the front, it may be that the 1A just isn't being released yet, and in a future release of this service manual it will be included for US / Canada markets.

Agree it could change, but for the time being, this is the story. We'll see if TSAVJason is right and the 1A comes in March(ish) to North America.

Having said that, because Sony is essentially non-existent in the consumer space for portables and these are being sold via higher end stereo dealers, in some way it makes sense to sell the 1Z. That said, Natural Sound is near me and they sell equipment from affordable to I could never afford it. In most other countries, you can walk into places other than specialty shops and pick one of these up, so having both a lower and a higher priced option seems like a better idea to Sony's sales folks.

EDIT: Anecdotal evidence - the only places I ever saw the US version of the ZX2 were on Amazon or once at one of the Magnolia stores in a Best Buy that actually had the higher end stuff (those higher end store-within-a-stores are rare; most have fairly run of the mill stuff).

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #6,784 of 45,723
Jan 7, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #6,785 of 45,723
Just some early battery life numbers based on what I've seen so far:
Although not a huge believer, I'm following the burn in time. I'm not on the road for awhile, so just doing it as I'm doing other things and am up to about 94 hours. For one day I basically unplugged it and let the 1A do its thing. I have a mixture of 2.8 (single rate) DSF files along with FLAC (44.1/16, 48/24, 96/24, and 192/24). It died somewhere between 23 and 24 hours which is amazing. My ZX1 could never last that long playing basically only hi-rez (I have very little 44.1/16 on here).

It'll be interesting in a year or two to see how Sony will try to top the 1A/Z. If MQA does take off, they can easily add that via a firmware update, so I don't see that as a major upgrade.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #6,786 of 45,723
  Just some early battery life numbers based on what I've seen so far:
Although not a huge believer, I'm following the burn in time. I'm not on the road for awhile, so just doing it as I'm doing other things and am up to about 94 hours. For one day I basically unplugged it and let the 1A do its thing. I have a mixture of 2.8 (single rate) DSF files along with FLAC (44.1/16, 48/24, 96/24, and 192/24). It died somewhere between 23 and 24 hours which is amazing. My ZX1 could never last that long playing basically only hi-rez (I have very little 44.1/16 on here).

It'll be interesting in a year or two to see how Sony will try to top the 1A/Z. If MQA does take off, they can easily add that via a firmware update, so I don't see that as a major upgrade.

​my first carge with battery care ON died at 18 hours, will try battery care off

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #6,788 of 45,723
Where do people find these service manuals so fast ?

They were released by the same guys who discovered the volume hack

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #6,789 of 45,723
Question on playlists - can I import M3U playlists? and if so does the track path need to be specified between internal and SD card storage?

On AK DAPs, both internal and SD card tracks are seen under one Music directory so M3U playlist files can be imported without modification. Onkyo DP-X1 on the other hand treats each of the 2 SD cards as separate volumes so you have to specify the volume or make sure the tracks on a given playlist all reside on the same SD card.

Another quick question - any cable maker have a right angled 4.4mm balanced plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back