SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #6,766 of 45,723
Ok boys and girls, so here we go then:

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Changing_destination_settings_and_sound_pressure_regulation

Please use some common sense before attempting this. It's perfectly safe providing you follow the simple instructions, however please be careful and if you aren't sure about any of these instructions feel free to ask questions first.

I used the Russian code E2 on my device and it is working perfectly. If in any doubt I would advise using this code.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #6,767 of 45,723
Wondering if this hack also Works for example if you buy a japanese model and want english menú
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #6,768 of 45,723

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Changing_destination_settings_and_sound_pressure_regulation

Please use some common sense before attempting this. It's perfectly safe providing you follow the simple instructions, however please be careful and if you aren't sure about any of these instructions feel free to ask questions first.

I used the Russian code E2 on my device and it is working perfectly. If in any doubt I would advise using this code.

That is awesome ! Thanks !

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #6,769 of 45,723
  Wondering if this hack also Works for example if you buy a japanese model and want english menú
biggrin.gif

I posted a little earlier, yes this does work.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #6,771 of 45,723

But I guess you would lose ATRAC compatibiltiy if you're using music formatted with it since you're effectively changing the region.

Correct. The extra features that come with that regional firmware would be lost when changing to a multi language version.

I've just been informed that the ATRAC compatibility may remain, even after the language has been changed to English. It remains with the A850 at least.

As this is reversable in will be interesting to find out. Anyone here with the Japanese model willing to find out?

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #6,772 of 45,723

Oh man! You make me attempt to get an EU version RIGHT NOW!!!! :joy: Still no word when 1A will be available in N America...

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #6,773 of 45,723

Correct. The extra features that come with that regional firmware would be lost when changing to a multi language version.

I've just been informed that the ATRAC compatibility may remain, even after the language has been changed to English. It remains with the A850 at least.

As this is reversable in will be interesting to find out. Anyone here with the Japanese model willing to find out?

All of my Walkmans are Japanese, but I am not going to try this even though I still use some ATRAC.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #6,775 of 45,723

All of my Walkmans are Japanese, but I am not going to try this even though I still use some ATRAC.

Fair enough. Doesn't sound like you really need it.

Based on the service manual, it looks like Canada and USA will only be getting the 1Z.

That is very strange. I wonder why that might be?

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,777 of 45,723

Fair enough. Doesn't sound like you really need it.

That is very strange. I wonder why that might be?

Are you kidding me? :tired_face: That's ridiculous!!!

Looks like they're making a marketing/sales decision. You can see it plan as day in the manual which is up on the Rockbox site for the NW project. TSAVJason said it was coming later in Q1 2017, but that manual says otherwise.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #6,779 of 45,723

Quite possibly, however no one is sure yet. It may be that once it has been changed future updates will take their cues from the existing firmware. Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed.

My guess would be they might disable this workaround in a future firmware (assuming they see this as voiding the warranty, etc). In that scenario, all current units would be able to still disable the volume limit, but new units with a more recent firmware may no longer able to. I also think once enabled, it's not likely to revert with future updates, seems like they're just going off internal region settings when installing firmware.

Still, I'm glad this worked for you, and without much incident it seems 
biggrin.gif
 The only question remaining is the effect on warranty, though I'm sure it's still worthwhile for many to do this

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,780 of 45,723
  Here's the relevant bits. No other real way to interpret.

Certainly does seem that way for now, but these things tend to also be updated, eh? That's why there's a version number on the front, it may be that the 1A just isn't being released yet, and in a future release of this service manual it will be included for US / Canada markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back