SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #41,941 of 45,723
@MrWalkman included the EU region changer is just like offering people a chance to tryout the curse lol

Just helping people out. I personally wasn't that curious to try any other tuning yet.

So I'm still at wm1z/a+ (without dseehx) I own the wm1a (switched to 1z via switcher). Do I still need to go through the chameleon 1.3 or do i go directly to the wm1az+ 1.3? Sorry if my question is already answered in a previous page/reply but I'm just a bit confused. I arrived so late in the game and not sure where or what page answers this. Thanks!

No, you can just install the latest versions.

In order to restore the original "Certificates" images, follow the indications in the main post.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15747959

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #41,942 of 45,723
Please welcome, the...

Region Changer

The Region Changer will change the default region of your WM1A/WM1Z, to the one
of your choice.

As we know, we cannot apply tuning mods made for the Universal region, to a device
from the European region, for example. The Region Changer allows us to change that
default region.

The default region will be reverted with a Factory Reset (that will also erase the hours
played counter), or you can just change the region back with the appropriate package.

I made packages that can be used with the 3.00, 3.01, and the 3.02 firmware versions.

Note: Regions do not affect the sound at all, and are different from destinations! Click
below to read "MORE INFO".

This is of interest to you only if you ever wanted to apply a tuning that is made for a certain region, to a player that is not from that certain region.

REGIONS (they do not affect the sound)​
DESTINATIONS (they do affect the sound)​
Universal/Japanese/European
J/U/CA/CEV/CEW/CN/KR/E/MX3/etc. (more info)

LINK

Enjoy!
This is the stuff of legend - the walls that stopped various tunings working have come tumbling down!

An over-priced UK beer is on its way to you now :)

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #41,943 of 45,723
It still doesn't use the latest version of the WM1A/Z+ firmware, and people would have to go back and restore the Certificates images after using that previous version of the firmware.

You say that after the installer goes to the second step, to replace the SWUpdate.xml file in the Device folder, as the installer will supposedly load the XML file again after going to the second step.

I just checked this, and if you delete the SWUpdate.xml in the Device folder, before the installer goes to the second step, the updater still works totally fine. This means that the SWUpdate.xml is loaded just once, at startup, and it's not loaded again after going to the second step!

So the "trick" is not actually working. It's funny, and weird, that you used this method for some time and you still heard differences.

Feel free to test this yourself.
if you delete the SWUpdate.xml in the Device folder, before the installer goes to the second step, the updater still works totally fine. This doesn't neccesarily mean that the SWUpdate.xml is loaded just once, at startup.
Many have already tried and witnessed.
And for the latest version, just combine your upg with the xml then it's finely updated. Whitigir host the files so i can't make such changes.
Btw the orange logo rocks!

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #41,944 of 45,723
This is the stuff of legend - the walls that stopped various tuning working have come tumbling down!

An over-priced UK beer is on its way to you now :)

Haha, thanks man!

Infinite beer 🤣:
tenor.gif

if you delete the SWUpdate.xml in the Device folder, before the installer goes to the second step, the updater still works totally fine. This doesn't neccesarily mean that the SWUpdate.xml is loaded just once, at startup.

Ok, sure, will test it with a process analyzer. That will tell us exactly what the Software Update tool is reading and from what folder.

It looks like this:
1595915439096.png

And for the latest version, just combine your upg with the xml then it's finely updated. Whitigir host the files so i can't make such changes.

Hopefully Whitigir will change it.

Thanks! The old Sony Ericsson Walkman days.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #41,945 of 45,723
Ok, sure, will test it with a process analyzer. That will tell us exactly what the Software Update tool is reading and from what folder.
Would u pls also examine when the installation starts running, replacing the xml after 10% and right before 40% progress bar on PC, whether the new xml is loaded. Many in China uses such operation to bypass ID check.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #41,946 of 45,723
Would u pls also examine when the installation starts running, replacing the xml after 10% and right before 40% progress bar on PC, whether the new xml is loaded. Many in China uses such operation to bypass ID check.

1595916320728.png

Exactly what I was thinking. The SWUpdate.xml file is loaded only at startup, and it's never loaded again afterwards.

What is the Software Update tool doing in the image?

1. (red color) When you first start it, it reads the "SWUpdate.xml" file and the "disclaimer_en.txt" file (depending on your computer's language)
2. (green color) After you go to the second step and then you start the update process, the Software Update tool reads the "NW_WM_FW.UPG" file, which is the firmware, and then it sends it to your Walkman device (the "I:\NW_WM_FW.UPG" in the screenshot, in my case)

The difference in seconds, from 16 to 36, is the time I took to enable the Mass Storage mode on my player. I then went to the second step, and started the update process.

And that's the only thing that the Software Update tool reads from the folders.

Feel free to test it yourself, the Process Monitor executable can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

With that being said, I'm really not sure what you guys witnessed...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #41,947 of 45,723

Exactly what I was thinking. The SWUpdate.xml file is loaded only at startup, and it's never loaded again afterwards.

1. (red color) When you first start it, it reads the "SWUpdate.xml" file and the "disclaimer_en.txt" file (depending on your computer's language)
2. (green color) After you go to the second step and then you start the update process, the Software Update tool reads the "NW_WM_FW.UPG" file, which is the firmware, and then it sends it to your Walkman device (the "I:\NW_WM_FW.UPG" in the screenshot, in my case)

The difference in seconds, from 16 to 36, is the time I took to enable the Mass Storage mode on my player. I then went to the second step, and started the update process.

Feel free to test it yourself, the Process Monitor executable can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Thx! Very handy info

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #41,948 of 45,723
It really is some unholy trinity - the combination of @MrWalkman and the ability to manipulate the internal settings, and @Whitigir and @Morbideath for the Cerberus+ tuning!

I have been sat between 1A+ and 1Z+ for a couple of weeks now, since the idea was first conceived - mostly on 1Z+. I love the organic warmness - Cerberus+ has added even more enjoyment (now that I can install it... that is a boon!)

Anyway - whilst ears are not the most reliable tools, I can say that it would appear that swapping out the xml file did not have the desired result (at least for the EU version of the player), as the tonality was different using that method rather than using the installer with the modified region.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #41,949 of 45,723
It really is some unholy trinity - the combination of @MrWalkman and the ability to manipulate the internal settings, and @Whitigir and @Morbideath for the Cerberus+ tuning!

I have been sat between 1A+ and 1Z+ for a couple of weeks now, since the idea was first conceived - mostly on 1Z+. I love the organic warmness - Cerberus+ has added even more enjoyment (now that I can install it... that is a boon!)

Anyway - whilst ears are not the most reliable tools, I can say that it would appear that swapping out the xml file did not have the desired result (at least for the EU version of the player), as the tonality was different using that method rather than using the installer with the modified region.
I don't deserve any praise man. Im just a fan trying to help out.
I still don't get it since Cerberus doesn't contain any 00010000 code but it installs on my Japanese unit just fine, yet EU cannot.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #41,950 of 45,723
I don't deserve any praise man. Im just a fan trying to help out.
I still don't get it since Cerberus doesn't contain any 00010000 code but it installs on my Japanese unit just fine, yet EU cannot.

just thinking out loud, but could the fact that EU versions are volume limited be a factor in why they have issues while U & J don't?

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #41,951 of 45,723
just thinking out loud, but could the fact that EU versions are volume limited be a factor in why they have issues while U & J don't?
Volume cap is just a parameter to change with Rockbox. I don't know how it could be related to FW installation.
Long time no see man

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #41,952 of 45,723
Volume cap is just a parameter to change with Rockbox. I don't know how it could be related to FW installation.
Long time no see man

when I change to a different player using the switcher tool, the rockbox tool shows the original player, not the updated one

likewise on the long time... I tend to lurk and then say a few things and then back under my rock

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #41,953 of 45,723
During install fw process, it's not too late to edit and save XML file (tune parameter) before it hit 42%. I did a quick change so many times while tuning and it works. Just saying.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #41,954 of 45,723
During install fw process, it's not too late to edit and save XML file (tune parameter) right before it hit 42%. I did a quick change so many times while tuning and it works. Just saying.

Well, if you say that "how you think it works" is "more true" than actual facts, then whatever floats your boat man.

1595916320728.png

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #41,955 of 45,723
Well, if you say that "how you think it works" is "more true" than actual facts, then whatever floats your boat man.
Like I said, keeping it simple with Mr. Walkman’s stuff. Thank you, again, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back