SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #41,926 of 45,723
This is basically the setting that was used in the past custom firmwares; however, the pattern is not the same as in the case of dmp1 and you know this file plays a role in the tuning, can you test this on your unit and confirm the sound? thanks . Yes, this will trick (or just simply delete the file) but doesn't mean you would get the same sound
we've done it numerous times. it was the only way to install Cerberus properly and won't affect the tuning.
And no, don't simply delete the file. it won't get the big xml flashed in.
So u see why we didn't disclose it in the first place, this could raise lots of confusions, and Sony could possibly patch it up someday.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #41,927 of 45,723
There is a trick to make it to work with all other regions. You can download an extracted packages here

Previously, we couldnt share it because no one could have cracked UPG, but thank you to @MrWalkman

After extraction you will go into the installer just as you would in the earlier modded firmware

After running the updater you will have the first window popped up, click Yes. Then second window popped up, leave it there, do not click on anything yet

You will go into the Data folder and you will see the SWUpdate XML of 645Kb (This is Cerberus tuning), Everyone can integrate this Tuning toward any other Firmware versions if they so desired. You will drag this into the Device folder. Window will ask you if you wanted to replace it, click agreed. Then go back to the Installer of the firmware and proceed
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e5ukOgXMHawRy0tWUufrqO70mlJJo_9i?usp=sharing
This is the file for maximum compatibility to trick the installer. Replace it with Whitigir's Cerberus xml (which means, first put it inside the device folder. after the installer goes to the second step, replace it with Cerberus xml then install). We've done it numerous times and it WAS the only way to get Cerberus working and sounds as intended without distortions. Thus, Don't add 00020000 to the Cerberus xml.
However i suggest u try MrWalkman's latest tool. it looks much simpler and foolproof to tame the strange EU animal:
@hamhamhamsta @gearofwar Again, this old method worked for any EU/JP/Universal device if u wanna install Cerberus. Once u know how to do it, it only takes seconds to operate.
However again, i suggest MrWalkman's new tool. It's the same thing but won't require your operations. Much simpler and foolproof.
Please welcome, the...

Region Changer

The Region Changer will change the default region of your WM1A/WM1Z, to the one
of your choice.

As we know, we cannot apply tuning mods made for the Universal region, to a device
from the European region, for example. The Region Changer allows us to change that
default region.

The default region will be reverted with a Factory Reset (that will also erase the hours
played counter), or you can just change the region back with the appropriate package.

I made packages that can be used with the 3.00, 3.01, and the 3.02 firmware versions.

Note: Regions do not affect the sound at all, and are different from destinations! Click
below to read "MORE INFO".

This is of interest to you only if you ever wanted to apply a tuning that is made for a certain region, to a player that is not from that certain region.

REGIONS (they do not affect the sound)​
DESTINATIONS (they do affect the sound)​
Universal/Japanese/European
J/U/CA/CEV/CEW/CN/KR/E/MX3/etc. (more info)

LINK

Enjoy!

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #41,928 of 45,723
@Morbideath oh man, I didn't realize Mr.Walkman released such an important tool. It's few hours and this thread just fly. This would make my day after work easier. This region changer thing is mind-blowing

Interestingly enough, I think messing around with the file has made the firmware has a deeper stage than it was intended to be somehow.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #41,929 of 45,723
@MrWalkman included the EU region changer is just like offering people a chance to tryout the curse lol

@Morbideath I think U region made Cerberus thinner than J even the tonality, is there any particular reasons you like it best?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #41,930 of 45,723
Orange Walkman logo on the start - now I remember! It was on old Sony Ericsson phones, Walkman line. Mr Walkman - thanks for region changer, changed to universal and installed Cerberus.
314px-Cerberus.png

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #41,931 of 45,723
Orange Walkman logo on the start - now I remember! It was on old Sony Ericsson phones, Walkman line. Mr Walkman - thanks for region changer, changed to universal and installed Cerberus.
I do wish lord @Whitigir would revise Cerberus with the new Wm1az+, that orange logo is truly eyes candy

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #41,932 of 45,723
So I'm still at wm1z/a+ (without dseehx) I own the wm1a (switched to 1z via switcher). Do I still need to go through the chameleon 1.3 or do i go directly to the wm1az+ 1.3? Sorry if my question is already answered in a previous page/reply but I'm just a bit confused. I arrived so late in the game and not sure where or what page answers this. Thanks!

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #41,933 of 45,723
Yea, most Sony explainers suck at explainering
I think the reasoning behind this is that we sony listeners aren't bothered by the fact that our units don't have the best in class technicalities, bleeding edge tech, etc. instead we go for what we like the most (which doesn't always go in tandem with listeners from other brands lol).

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #41,934 of 45,723
So I'm still at wm1z/a+ (without dseehx) I own the wm1a (switched to 1z via switcher). Do I still need to go through the chameleon 1.3 or do i go directly to the wm1az+ 1.3? Sorry if my question is already answered in a previous page/reply but I'm just a bit confused. I arrived so late in the game and not sure where or what page answers this. Thanks!
You don't need to go through one to reach another , just apply directly and it will bring you straight to the result

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #41,935 of 45,723
You don't need to go through one to reach another , just apply directly and it will bring you straight to the result
I see, thanks for the timely reply!

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #41,936 of 45,723
@MrWalkman included the EU region changer is just like offering people a chance to tryout the curse lol

@Morbideath I think U region made Cerberus thinner than J even the tonality, is there any particular reasons you like it best?
It was tuned based on U. i don't find it thin though, very smooth and analogue. You haven't add any lines like 00020000 right?

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #41,937 of 45,723
After a few days listening here and there, I come up with an initial review of 1A/1Z+ on 1Z mod with Z tuning. And I'm using HSEEX AI and C tuning. I listen to vocals, accoustics, easy listening, jazz etc. Feel free to agree, disagree, discuss etc. After all, that's the point of bantering and comparing in this forum.

1) Version 3.00 - Has amazing textured bass, best of the best of all version.
2) Version 3.01 - Initially I forgot what makes this special; I listen and listen and can't figure out; then it hits me. This is emotional tuning, damn I cried listening to some songs, can't pinpoint what but maybe others can chime in.
3) Version 3.02 - Amazing soundstage. There rest I forgot.

On all the 1A/1Z+ different version, the clarity and separation are really really good. I'm talking about using 1 BA iem, Warbler Prelude. It's a clear step higher compared to all earlier versions.

And then I tried Cerberus NWZ1 Z tuning version. Holy moly, clarity and resolution is 1/2 step higher than 3.0 3.1 & 3.2 1A/1Z+ V. There are 2 right now.
1) Whitigir version - its very even keel, sounds like a mature version of neutral tuning. Soundstage is wide. Again neutral but likeable. Has very good resonance or echoes. Did I mention it has the best clarity and resolution?

2) GearofWar version - this maybe considered a flawed version, since it alters the original tuning somehow. But GearofWar mentioned the soundstage is deeper; I wasn't very convinced, so keep switching back and forth with Whitigir original version. Lo and behold, it is deeper. Because it is deeper, bass seems to hit a little harder, I noticed timber seems to be better, meaning instruments sound more real, like its real life counterparts. Vocals stands out. This version is no longer neutral, but I like this more. It gives more "soul" or its own characters to the songs.

What would even be better is to somehow marry the Cerberus version to 1A/1Z+ tuning. I'm not sure if you consider this Whitigir version as already having 1A+/1Z+. So much dap improvements in the last few weeks, compared in the last almost 4 years. Its warp speed man!

PS: Remember, earlier I said my LS305 speakers sounds better than the speakers on Lexus sedan? Usually, I used Bluetooth to connect using sbc connection ( Hey, that's all the connections I have in the car). This time I used Line out via balanced 4.4mm to Aux In. Omg, I swear the songs I heard almost sound 3D. Now my car audio sound almost like my iems. What an amazing surprise!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #41,938 of 45,723
What would even be better is to somehow marry the Cerberus version to 1A/1Z+ tuning. I'm not sure if you consider this Whitigir version as already having 1A+/1Z+. So much dap improvements in the last few weeks, compared in the last almost 4 years. Its warp speed man!
It already has, that's why it's called Cerberus+. Ive enjoying normal Cerberus for months but its marriage with 1Z+ is clearly a step up in technicalities. Since i don't know how the algorithms within 1Z+ work, i can't explain how these are achieved. it's pure magic.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #41,939 of 45,723
After a few days listening here and there, I come up with an initial review of 1A/1Z+ on 1Z mod with Z tuning. And I'm using HSEEX AI and C tuning. I listen to vocals, accoustics, easy listening, jazz etc. Feel free to agree, disagree, discuss etc. After all, that's the point of bantering and comparing in this forum.

1) Version 3.00 - Has amazing textured bass, best of the best of all version.
2) Version 3.01 - Initially I forgot what makes this special; I listen and listen and can't figure out; then it hits me. This is emotional tuning, damn I cried listening to some songs, can't pinpoint what but maybe others can chime in.
3) Version 3.02 - Amazing soundstage. There rest I forgot.

In case you don't know what to turn on - there is a switch :)
daily_picdump_3495_640_high_12.jpg

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #41,940 of 45,723
It already has, that's why it's called Cerberus+. Ive enjoying normal Cerberus for months but its marriage with 1Z+ is clearly a step up in technicalities. Since i don't know how the algorithms within 1Z+ work, i can't explain how these are achieved. it's pure magic.

It still doesn't use the latest version of the WM1A/Z+ firmware, and people would have to go back and restore the Certificates images after using that previous version of the firmware.

Replace it with Whitigir's Cerberus xml (which means, first put it inside the device folder. after the installer goes to the second step, replace it with Cerberus xml then install)

You say that after the installer goes to the second step, to replace the SWUpdate.xml file in the Device folder, as the installer will supposedly load the XML file again after going to the second step.

I just checked this, and if you delete the SWUpdate.xml in the Device folder, before the installer goes to the second step, the updater still works totally fine. This means that the SWUpdate.xml is loaded just once, at startup, and it's not loaded again after going to the second step!

So the "trick" is not actually working. It's funny, and weird, that you used this method for some time and you still heard differences.

Feel free to test this yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back