SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #41,911 of 45,723
Yes, there is a default region, and the "destination". The Rockbox tool allows us to only change the destination, and not the default region.

The default region does not affect the sound, compared to the destination.

This is of interest to you only if you ever wanted to apply a tuning that is made for a certain region, to a player that is not from that certain region.

Thanks. Just bought you a beer btw :relaxed:

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #41,912 of 45,723
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #41,913 of 45,723
Thanks. Just bought you a beer btw :relaxed:

Really appreciate it! :D

tenor.gif

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #41,914 of 45,723
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #41,915 of 45,723
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #41,916 of 45,723
There is a trick to make it to work with all other regions. You can download an extracted packages here

Previously, we couldnt share it because no one could have cracked UPG, but thank you to @MrWalkman

After extraction you will go into the installer just as you would in the earlier modded firmware

After running the updater you will have the first window popped up, click Yes. Then second window popped up, leave it there, do not click on anything yet

You will go into the Data folder and you will see the SWUpdate XML of 645Kb (This is Cerberus tuning), Everyone can integrate this Tuning toward any other Firmware versions if they so desired. You will drag this into the Device folder. Window will ask you if you wanted to replace it, click agreed. Then go back to the Installer of the firmware and proceed
Hmm, I just got home and tried out this method; however, it didn't work out in my case coz I didn't see separate SWupdate file outside the Device folder, tried to duplicate and replaced during the process didn't help either. Messing around a bit inside the sw file and finally got it to work but I'm not sure if the tuning is what you intended originally but it does sound good
P/s : Mr.walkman was right, not a simple task because adding a line in there would make the firmware collapse

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #41,917 of 45,723
Hmm, I just got home and tried out this method; however, it didn't work out in my case coz I didn't see separate SWupdate file outside the Device folder, tried to duplicate and replaced during the process didn't help either. Messing around a bit inside the sw file and finally got it to work but I'm not sure if the tuning is what you intended originally but it does sound good
P/s : Mr.walkman was right, not a simple task because adding a line in there would make the firmware collapse
Yes, we found that long ago but could not disclose it. Using a line of 00020000 to trick the installer. As long as u bypass the check and replace the tuning, u will enjoy the Whitigir magic.
btw, personally I found Cerberus sounds the best with Region U, not J anymore

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #41,918 of 45,723
Can you send us the updated working file for those of us who are blind to messing with computer lines, including me :dt880smile:

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #41,921 of 45,723
Can you send us the updated working file for those of us who are blind to messing with computer lines, including me :dt880smile:
We need batsign; Bat 911!

Any Bat Gentleman to the rescue LOL!😂

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #41,922 of 45,723
Where’s Robin when we need them 😹🤣

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #41,923 of 45,723
If I only I knew where to use that 00020000 then I wouldn't have asked for help. Ofc this was long known before, the point we were trying to make is that this could change the intended tuning
As long as u substitute the big xml with only 00020000, it will apply the big xml so won't change the tuning

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #41,924 of 45,723
If I only I knew where to use that 00020000 then I wouldn't have asked for help. Ofc this was long known before, the point we were trying to make is that this could change the intended tuning
We need batsign; Bat 911!

Any Bat Gentleman to the rescue LOL!😂
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e5ukOgXMHawRy0tWUufrqO70mlJJo_9i?usp=sharing
This is the file for maximum compatibility to trick the installer. Replace it with Whitigir's Cerberus xml (which means, first put it inside the device folder. after the installer goes to the second step, replace it with Cerberus xml then install). We've done it numerous times and it WAS the only way to get Cerberus working and sounds as intended without distortions. Thus, Don't add 00020000 to the Cerberus xml.
However i suggest u try MrWalkman's latest tool. it looks much simpler and foolproof to tame the strange EU animal:
Please welcome, the...

Region Changer

The Region Changer will change the default region of your WM1A/WM1Z, to the one
of your choice.

As we know, we cannot apply tuning mods made for the Universal region, to a device
from the European region, for example. The Region Changer allows us to change that
default region.

The default region will be reverted with a Factory Reset (that will also erase the hours
played counter), or you can just change the region back with the appropriate package.

I made packages that can be used with the 3.00, 3.01, and the 3.02 firmware versions.

Note: Regions do not affect the sound at all, and are different from destinations! Click
below to read "MORE INFO".

This is of interest to you only if you ever wanted to apply a tuning that is made for a certain region, to a player that is not from that certain region.

REGIONS (they do not affect the sound)​
DESTINATIONS (they do affect the sound)​
Universal/Japanese/European
J/U/CA/CEV/CEW/CN/KR/E/MX3/etc. (more info)

LINK

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back