SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #41,971 of 45,723
1/ First and most important, no one know how to crack the firmware on Walkman, and UPG back then, everyone kept it behind the door just as you are keeping how you are cracking the UPG, for the sake of Sony not peeking and patching it up.

I don't see how this is relevant with the fact that there were claims that stock players cannot benefit from high tier tunings, and now they suddenly can.

2/ tuning has it limitations, as you already see, and again, everyone knew that there are more to be done within the UPG, but No one could have cracked it. This, was explicitly mentioned over and over even before many different tunings came out from me. For example, @Morbideath mentioned that “here are a few firmwares tweaked by Chinese pioneers, but there are a big black box that no one know how to work around with”. Different changes, effected how the player sounds. Back then, our limitations stopped at, the higher the tuning, the only beta testers with hardware modified could have benefits. We could only stated what were the facts back then

Still don't see how the stock players can now benefit from high tier tunings. The hardware is the same as back then. I don't think that the WM1A/Z+ mod suddenly improves the stock players' hardware.

3/ Why did we keep Cerberus away ? The truth as mentioned above. The reason “you could have brick the player”, were a made up reason to keep people away. Once again, my apologies, but we kept on saying that we had limits.

I don't personally agree with making up reasons on why should someone not share something. You could have just kept it at "stock players do not benefit from high tier tunings". Only my 2 cents on that.

4/ I promised people that I would release that tuning, when the time is ripe, which is now. I didn’t meant to release it to have someone looked back into the past limitations and what we had to go with to “calm“ people down back then, and then pointed toward us. With all due respects, I release it because I promised it, and I would always share what I could, when I could, for example, Hardware modifications, and how to/where to buy which parts, which components to improve one player. Not only the Walkman, but also other players.

Releasing something when the time is ripe VS stock players cannot benefit from higher tier tunings is not the same thing.
5/ another fact is that, hardware modified players would Hugely benefits from the modified firmwares. It is what it is, and people have been comparing them side by side. Just like modifying a car, with a turbo, and a tune.

I can understand that, but now it seems this is not really that applicable anymore, right?

Now, it is over. We could just let the past rest and move on ? I do not understand why we had to go through this again.

I don't really like people getting away with telling something today, and tomorrow they change their minds completely. I just went through the posts and I felt like highlighting those claims, in comparison to the recent claims that were made. As I mentioned, there were many more false claims made in regards to tunings, the upgrade process, etc., and things like this really annoy me.

I would advise stopping claiming stuff so surely unless you can really back up those claims with facts.

I really don't understand what's the problem with bringing that up. Do you mean to say that it's ok to claim things when you cannot back them up with facts?

As I said, I only felt the need to highlight that, and I hope this kind of behavior stops. I think everyone appreciates what you've done, but let's not make up stuff.

If anyone truly disagrees with this, then I have no idea what's wrong with that person, or what's their thought process.

Cheers.

I still don’t know what happened to the PS3 hacker back then VS Sony in the court, whatever his name was. People will benefits, but the people who is responsible is the one who pioneering the hammer that cracked the egg :wink:, beware the hammer

What does this have to do with the topic of this discussion? Should I feel threatened or what? I just don't get why you would just throw that at the end of your argument.

I don't know, this whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, honestly.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #41,972 of 45,723
I don't see how this is relevant with the fact that there were claims that stock players cannot benefit from high tier tunings, and now they suddenly can.

Stock players did benefit from the tuning, the higher tuning did not benefit them Per Ser the Beta testers and feed backs. We could only claim what were the facts back then, and everything can change as time goes by, the world is not just Black and White.....Rome was a Supreme country back then, and now they can not claim it anymore

Still don't see how the stock players can now benefit from high tier tunings. The hardware is the same as back then. I don't think that the WM1A/Z+ mod suddenly improves the stock players' hardware.

From beta testers, @ttt123 for example, did tell me that he did not like Cerberus tuning with his hardware modified player, and with all due respects, it was only released a couple days ago. Sound performances and preferences are a personal things, and is subjective. He may not be the only one, and there may be some other tuning that he would enjoy more. Also, practicality of the new UI May also play a bigger role

I don't personally agree with making up reasons on why should someone not share something. You could have just kept it at "stock players do not benefit from high tier tunings". Only my 2 cents on that.

The same reason as why you don’t want to share how to crack up the UPG. What if people keep pushing you and pursue that idea constantly ? Beside, no region codes within that tuning, people may not all benefit anyways. We kept it tweaking and tuning with what sounded best with what players we had on hands

Releasing something when the time is ripe VS stock players cannot benefit from higher tier tunings is not the same thing.
It isn’t the same thing, but it is relevant. Because back then, UPG was not cracked, people could not tune and tweak from the inside, which many have suspected that the S-Master chips and or the SOC access. So the limitations of XML ended at stock players and uncrackable UPG

I can understand that, but now it seems this is not really that applicable anymore, right?

It is still applicable as Hardware Modified players still is different and benefits more than Stock players. There is no way OFC cables can be superior than Silver cables (scientifically, silver is superior conductor), the same thing as Pentium II CPU can not out perform Pentium VII.....and people had been comparing them sides by sides. Now then, some may like and some may not like it....but the facts is the facts, Better hardware will always be better.

I don't really like people getting away with telling something today, and tomorrow they change their minds completely. I just went through the posts and I felt like highlighting those claims, in comparison to the recent claims that were made. As I mentioned, there were many more false claims made in regards to tunings, the upgrade process, etc., and things like this really annoys me.

it annoys you, just because you are able to hack into it better. It also annoyed me and seriously Sadden me when I had to “make up claims” to keep people at bay, to later on bring it out to lights, which I am explaining now when the time is ripe. I am an upstanding person, and I have been in the forums for ways too long.....again, this reminds me of @morgenstein09, and I wonder what happened to him, I hope he is all well

Do you mean to say that it's ok to claim things when you cannot back them up with facts?Do you mean to say that it's ok to claim things when you cannot back them up with facts?I would advise stopping claiming stuff so surely unless you can really back up those claims with facts.

I really don't understand what's the problem with bringing that up. Do you mean to say that it's ok to claim things when you cannot back them up with facts?

As I said, I only felt the need to highlight that, and I hope this kind of behavior stops. I think everyone appreciates what you've done, but let's not make up stuff.

Cheers.
You don’t have to advise me to stop those claims. One of the reason why I went away for a while was to stay away from all of this mess, when people kept on asking for something I couldn’t give (I was not the first one to find out the package extractions method either, I was only invited in to help the tuning). Then again, mature people can understand what I had gone through, and what I am saying now

No, I am never Ok with claiming things without back up. Again, people reported back that stock players did not do well with higher tier tuning, and that was what it was.....S-Master or SOC tuning and tweaking couldn’t be done back then, and I couldn’t state out the reason why, because no one really know how they behave within the UPG. Now, I am not sure how the external tuning would synergize or play out with UPG tweaking internally...some may like it and some may not and that is ok

Fact! Hardware modified players, still benefit better from Firmware modifications. Some like it better, and some still don’t.....personal preferences is god in this hobby, not you or me

Now, I am ok with “made up claims” that hurts no one, to keep people at Bay for the time being, and then explain later. Whenever I got pushed to doing that, it seriously Sadden me, why don’t people become more understanding for us who is trying to bring them the benefits without hurting us ? So yes, this brings back “sad memories” for me, personally.
It would be the same thing as if people would attack you because you won’t be sharing “how to crack and hack UPG”, while you are the one that would be held accountable in court, if Sony bring the Hammer upon all of this

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #41,973 of 45,723
@MrWalkman I think he was just afraid of Sony knocking on his door for releasing tons of custom firmwares before.
I do have a modified hardware so I could hear and appreciate changes in the tuning but I’m not sure about folks who has the stock units who might or might not hear the big differences but this is not a bad thing to look at since there are tons of tuning to choose from to fit someone’s need

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #41,974 of 45,723
@MrWalkman has gifted us great FW with improved functionalities, @Whitigir has gifted us (though not everyone appreciates) improved sound tunings. I myself got tons of music collection to enjoy with the new FW Cerberus+. Let's not waste time on debating such matters, not to say suspecting their motives.
A huge thank you to MrWalkman and Whitigir, you are both talented people who should not be held back by these lesser dramas.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #41,975 of 45,723
The same reason as why you don’t want to share how to crack up the UPG. What if people keep pushing you and pursue that idea constantly ?

I already said "I cannot do that", and I think it's really simple to do. I would never just make up reasons. What if someone will actually found out that I lied? It would not be cool.

You don’t have to advise me to stop those claims. One of the reason why I went away for a while was to stay away from all of this mess, when people kept on asking for something I couldn’t give (I was not the first one to find out the package extractions method either, I was only invited in to help the tuning). Then again, mature people can understand what I had gone through, and what I am saying now

I already stated my opinion on this, you can just say no and no. You don't have to make up things.

it annoys you, just because you are able to hack into it better

Nope, it simply annoys me because it implies stating false claims. It's that simple.

@MrWalkman I think he was just afraid of Sony knocking on his door for releasing tons of custom firmwares before.
I do have a modified hardware so I could hear and appreciate changes in the tuning but I’m not sure about folks who has the stock units who might or might not hear the big differences

I will never agree with simply lying to someone, just because you think they don't know better. If some people asked something that I couldn't share, I simply said I cannot share info about that. I don't get what's so hard to do.

I am an upstanding person, and I have been in the forums for ways too long.....again, this reminds me of @morgenstein09, and I wonder what happened to him, I hope he is all well

While reading the threads, I actually noticed some back and forth between him and some of you, and I really couldn't understand why all that was necessary, especially when facts where brought up, like the update process and the fact that the DMP-Z1 firmware cannot be partially applied, which is all described on the Rockbox wiki (link here). It probably reminds you of him because he also seemed to try bring up that some stuff you were saying was not true, and it's incredible to see how some of you were still arguing in your favor, when the facts were presented.

Facts matter!

I really don't feel good arguing over things like this. If you feel like doing that in the future as well, then I'm really sorry, and I don't think it's something ok to do. Someday, those false claims may come back to bite you.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #41,976 of 45,723
@Whitigir could you please revise the firmware based on the new installer ? thanks
I guess your decision to keep the firmware in the private annoyed some of the people here. Personally, I’m cool if you go all out releasing Cerberus to folks who might need it

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #41,977 of 45,723
The only false claim I would admit to is “Cerberus” could possibly “brick” the player. Just because I did stated that I could not share it, and people kept on asking. Also that it did not have region codes for many regions. There is no other “false claims”. No, I do not like doing it, and that was why I was away for a while.

stating “stock players“ do not benefit further from higher tuning was based on collected feedbacks. If you thought that was a false claim, then so be it. If you think that hardware modified player are not superior than stock player then so be it, this is :deadhorse: Just as much as cables

DMP-Z1 and UPG did not install, it was not in our understanding back then when firmware mod first released. Later on, that it was understood better, many people stopped doing that. Why am I reminded of @morgenstein09 ? Because he did not understand why we wouldn’t share on how to modify firmware with him, personally. However, I did point him Toward into looking for Chinese forum where all of this originated from. I also pointed him toward Redbox tool to see if he could help on cracking the UPG as he stated to me personally that He is very knowledgeable about these stuff. The claim that no one could have proven, except if he could crack that UPG....but now he is gone.

Understand this , I am not the first one to hack Sony firmware, neither is @Morbideath . I came into the scence just because @Morbideath invited me and showed me how those Chinese did, and hope I could help tuning. My limitations stopped at whatever @Morbideath could share

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #41,978 of 45,723
Hiya, mates!
I am wondering if somebody has already compared a stock 1A "converted" to 1Z with a switch and the 1Z FW
with a stock 1Z in a sort of blind listening test?

I assume that by doing so you'd be able to catch what are the "sound signature" differences
which are resulting only from the different hardware 1Z has onboard (wires, body, caps, etc.)
Did someone give it a try and what's the result?
Yes I did over weekend and will post results.

The thing is the 1A with these mods, has a new and exciting sound
Yes I agree 💯 that is the case when comparison to 1z with upgrade.

but the 1A is just so fun.
Yes this software upgrade sound results in more this type impression, I agree 💯.

The 1Z may still have a better front to back soundstage
Yes you are 💯 percent correct this is exactly what is the case, and I am fairly certain these differences are because of the different caps of the two players.

But the crazy part is on paper the stock 1Z should win. It has a more complete sound, it has more physicality to the imaging elements? The 1Z should by all accounts be better here? Yet in the end the 1A even seems to have better transient response?
Yes this is correct 💯 percent.
Although the 1z can be technically better and slight more space front to back, the 1a seems to have more contrast and liveliness.
It makes the 1a to me more addicting, yet less totally accurate in presentation, because all of the 1z soundstage and fluid effortlessness is not fully realized.
But it doesn't matter when it comes to music enjoyment.

Not as good my desktop system which is overkill but it is pretty nice
It is not with 1a stock, but it is with 1a with Mrwalkman firmware upgrade.

Of course, I don't think it could be compared to higher end desktop system,
It is with both a firmware and hardware upgrade.
My 1z is not fully hardware upgraded yet but can easily beat out many desktop with both the firmware upgrade and my existing kmod ( which is mainly just a wire upgrade).

Rocking 1z stock today still on 1a+
I need to try this!

I dont understand why in a premium 3000US dollar device we dont count with sony suport adding DSEE HX AI to our firmwares as courtesy? since we all have been loyal customers and some you guys even buying IEMs and top tier desktop amps i think sony fails there dont you guys agree?
I don't understand either.
Mrwalkman was able to get it activated, so why didn't Sony have it integrated?
That's not nice.

. I have got words that people need a Reset (if they have installed 1A/Z +).
Actually I was under that impression from a mixing of many tunnig mods, not the latest firmware.
Only one person I heard had that issue and was mixing tunnings.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #41,979 of 45,723
@morgenstein09, and I wonder what happened to him, I hope he is all well
I'm guessing he got a gag order..
:scream:

This is the stuff of legend - the walls that stopped various tunings working have come tumbling down!

An over-priced UK beer is on its way to you now :)
Can someone point out which version is best, or more capable in features?

Wow, that dislodged any earwax that may've been in my ears...

Erich Kunzel's version of the 1812 overture, I decided to go for it - high gain, 105 on the volume... yowzers! the FH7 stood their ground admirably (The best I ever heard that was with the Philips M1 over ears - maximum volume, the earcups moved...)

I'm sure youtube kills the dynamics, but - the part in question:

You have to be careful with that track.
The transients of the bomb blast can hurt your hearing without you noticing it because of how sharp & quick they are..
:)

Anyone tried the Cerberus+ on WM1a?
I have a similar question.
Has anyone applied an old tunning to the new firmware?
For instance, is Cerberus similar to the old dmp-z1 tunnig mods?

5/ another fact is that, hardware modified players would Hugely benefits from the modified firmwares
I believe the main difference of the two players lie only in those caps changed.
So if people like the liveliness of the 1a, then changing caps will change that nature.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #41,980 of 45,723
The only false claim I would admit to is “Cerberus” could possibly “brick” the player. Just because I did stated that I could not share it, and people kept on asking. Also that it did not have region codes for many regions. There is no other “false claims”. No, I do not like doing it, and that was why I was away for a while.

stating “stock players“ do not benefit further from higher tuning was based on collected feedbacks. If you thought that was a false claim, then so be it. If you think that hardware modified player are not superior than stock player then so be it, this is :deadhorse: Just as much as cables

DMP-Z1 and UPG did not install, it was not in our understanding back then when firmware mod first released. Later on, that it was understood better, many people stopped doing that. Why am I reminded of @morgenstein09 ? Because he did not understand why we wouldn’t share on how to modify firmware with him, personally. However, I did point him Toward into looking for Chinese forum where all of this originated from. I also pointed him toward Redbox tool to see if he could help on cracking the UPG as he stated to me personally that He is very knowledgeable about these stuff. The claim that no one could have proven, except if he could crack that UPG....but now he is gone

Understand this , I am not the first one to hack Sony firmware, neither is @Morbideath . I came into the scence just because @Morbideath invited me and showed me how those Chinese did, and hope I could help tuning. My limitations stopped at whatever @Morbideath could share

I'm sorry, but I will just never agree to stating stuff as facts when you don't actually know for sure that this is how it works, or stating stuff just so people will leave you alone.

It would be the same thing as if people would attack you because you won’t be sharing “how to crack and hack UPG”, while you are the one that would be held accountable in court, if Sony bring the Hammer upon all of this

They could attack me how much they would like, if I said no, then no it is, sorry for everyone who would get upset because of this.

I also got told two times that there were thoughts of some kind of monetization related to tunings. I don't think that people could tell me the same "lie" two times already by the way, as I also noticed morgenstein mentioning that, while browsing the posts.

I still don’t know what happened to the PS3 hacker back then VS Sony in the court, whatever his name was. People will benefits, but the people who is responsible is the one who pioneering the hammer that cracked the egg :wink:, beware the hammer

Also, again, what is this? It feels like a little passive-aggressiveness really, combined with some indirect threatening.

I don't see this kind of behavior as originating from good intentions, and I wish to have nothing to do with people like that honestly.

I also wish to stop having this argument, as I already stated my opinion. If you think what you sometimes do it's something right to do, then good luck.

Edit: This really makes me wish I had a separate thread just for the WM1 mods, but I wouldn't like splitting this community we have here.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #41,981 of 45,723
I do have a modified hardware so I could hear and appreciate changes in the tuning but I’m not sure about folks who has the stock units who might or might not hear the big differences
I am of opinion that everything can be noticed on the stock players. The only difference is the caps.
They're just presenting the 1a stightly more lively, and the 1z slightly more relaxed/liquid/holographic.
But everything else comes thru both.
My reasoning is from my latest testing with both 1a & 1z over the weekend. So my impressions are still fresh in memory.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #41,982 of 45,723
Honestly, I didn’t even know anything about PS3 hacker. @Redcarmoose brought it to my attentions and since then Firmware sharing were limited. I didn’t look at it as any threats either, I appreciated what he brought into my attentions

So... I don’t threaten anyone . Please, understand that. I simply pass on the warning from a member to you @MrWalkman

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #41,983 of 45,723
Honestly, I didn’t even know anything about PS3 hacker. @Redcarmoose brought it to my attentions and since then Firmware sharing were limited.

I don’t threaten anyone . I simply pass on the warning from a member to you @MrWalkman

There was no context to do that, this is what I meant. You just threw it there, as some plus in your argument.

Not cool, and it really doesn't help the modding community!

This is my last post in this argument, really.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #41,984 of 45,723
I am of opinion that everything can be noticed on the stock players. The only difference is the caps.
They're just presenting the 1a more lively, and the 1z more liquid/holographic.
My reasoning is from my latest testing with both 1a & 1z over the weekend. So my impressions are still fresh in memory.
As I have realized this, wonder why there are folks who can’t hear anything with stock unit, what do you say? everybody hearing is different

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #41,985 of 45,723
They're just presenting the 1a stightly more lively, and the 1z slightly more relaxed/liquid/holographic.
Indeed. I have always thought that the difference between the 1A and 1Z is less than 5%. And it doesn’t warrant the double price tag at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back