SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #41,596 of 45,723
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #41,597 of 45,723
There has been an update, which brings the DSEE HX AI function to both WM1A/Z+ and WM1A to 1Z mods.

The DSEE HX AI function replaces the "Standard" option from the DSEE HX effect type menu. This function is
present in devices like the NW-A55, or the DMP-Z1.

Official description:
1595329888745.png

DSEE HX (AI, or not) works only for CD quality audio, or lower. DSEE HX will not have an effect for audio with
a sampling frequency over 44.1kHz or 48kHz, like "24 bit/96kHz".

DSEE HX (both AI or the other options) also works with the Bluetooth receiver or the USB DAC functions.

You can "see" the function in action by switching the visualizer to "Spectrum Analyzer", and monitoring the "HIGH"
spectrum of the sound.

There are also some improvements to the integrated switcher, and all the languages were updated to reflect the
DSEE HX AI function replacing the "Standard" option of the DSEE HX effect type menu, as well as the "Switch Device
Model" replacing the "Factory Reset" function.

Do I need to first switch back to stock before installing this?
No. Like always, this works like any other firmware update. Just install it and that's it.

LINK

Main post link

Enjoy!
Thank you!

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #41,598 of 45,723
whats DSEEHX AI ?

As far I as I can tell, it apparently "adds information" to the sound of the music you are listening to, essentially mimicking "high resolution" for standard resolution audio in 16/44.k format.

EDIT: Thanks Mr. Walkman, was too slow lol.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #41,599 of 45,723
That’s pretty good. I thought it will take much longer when you change the card as the player needed to rebuild the database.

Anyway, one minor suggestion. I instead of storing the albums in the 3 cards by composer according to the alphabetical order, you may consider to group those favourite composers in the 1TB card. cheers.
It did took like 2 or 4 minutes when I had everything crammed as 16/44.1 — e.g I converted all Hi-res and DSD as 16/44 on the walkman, but then as I got these DGG SHM-SACD I decided to transfer all over again as original resolution

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #41,600 of 45,723
He installed WM1A/Z+, and then he switched the model to 1A and that's it.

Usually I recommend installing the mod again, to make sure the 1A or 1Z sound tuning is properly set, but not doing that may result in some combination of 1Z sound and 1A sound or something like that. I didn't test it myself, but there is nothing wrong in doing it like this.

So only use model switcher after installing one of the mods (WM1A/Z+ or WM1A to 1Z). And if you'll want to switch back, first change the model back, and then apply the Back to Stock firmware.

This is what I prefer on my 1Z/EX1000. Switching to 1a but not installing the WM1A/Z+ again, gives me an excellent sonic experience, like a whole new world opened up! And even better than when I do install WM1A/Z+ again.

Also find myself keeping DSEE AI continuously on, it's like magic applied to all my normal FLAC files:)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #41,601 of 45,723
This is what I prefer on my 1Z/EX1000. Switching to 1a but not installing the WM1A/Z+ again, gives me an excellent sonic experience, like a whole new world opened up! And even better than when I do install WM1A/Z+ again.

Also find myself keeping DSEE AI continuously on, it's like magic applied to all my normal FLAC files:)

I’m going to have to try. Cheers!

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #41,602 of 45,723
I discovered a new nirvana. WM1A to wm1z and model switched to 1z. This to me is the best I’m hearing right now. I can’t describe the feeling but I prefer it over WM1Az+. More natural, vocals more alive, bass deeper and more impactful, treble crystal clear yet smooth. Full rich mids with breathy vocals. A fuller and more dynamic sound.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #41,603 of 45,723
I discovered a new nirvana. WM1A to wm1z and model switched to 1z. This to me is the best I’m hearing right now. I can’t describe the feeling but I prefer it over WM1Az+. More natural, vocals more alive, bass deeper and more impactful, treble crystal clear yet smooth. Full rich mids with breathy vocals. A fuller and more dynamic sound.

And dsee hx AI enabled?

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #41,604 of 45,723
And dsee hx AI enabled?
I’m listening through an amp so it’s always direct mode on. I only use DSEE HX AI when I’m using the Walkman direct with headphones.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #41,605 of 45,723
And dsee hx AI enabled?
The one negative about any of the DSPs, as soon as you switch off source direct, no matter how they improve the sound, the background hiss is much easier to hear - even if all DSPs are disabled...

As good as HX AI is, on extended listening, I'd rather have inky blackness

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #41,606 of 45,723
The one negative about any of the DSPs, as soon as you switch off source direct, no matter how they improve the sound, the background hiss is much easier to hear - even if all DSPs are disabled...

As good as HX AI is, on extended listening, I'd rather have inky blackness
Yes and easier on the battery as well with DSEE HX AI off. I’d only use it for older recordings like the 70s and 80’s rips I have. The newer jazz and vocal jazz recordings don’t really benefit much from it. But it does work very nicely and the sound difference is very discernible.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #41,607 of 45,723

do you have a typo or something ? if you are already to wm1z , how do you change to 1z ?

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #41,608 of 45,723
do you have a typo or something ? if you are already to wm1z , how do you change to 1z ?
WM1A to wm1z is the firmware mod. And I changed my model to 1Z.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #41,609 of 45,723
I’m listening through an amp so it’s always direct mode on. I only use DSEE HX AI when I’m using the Walkman direct with headphones.
Do you reapply the firmware after switching model?

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #41,610 of 45,723
Do you reapply the firmware after switching model?
Yes after switching models i always reinstall the firmware as it loads the specific tuning for that model and will be more accurate. Without losing it you get a different sound but some like it that way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back