SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #41,566 of 45,723
Yes it does. The first time I heard the 1A I knew I was going to sell my ZX300. Lol.
Oh, thought the A45 being so compact can also sound really good. But the 1A is plenty light. I also have the FiiO M6 and its sound is good, but the screen isn't very smooth

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #41,567 of 45,723
Oh, thought the A45 being so compact can also sound really good. But the 1A is plenty light. I also have the FiiO M6 and its sound is good, but the screen isn't very smooth
FiiO daps have problematic firmwares. None of them are as smooth as Sony. I have tried at least 3 different FiiO daps.

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #41,568 of 45,723
Tight now I not a difference with DSEE HX AI, playing some liszt's piano solo music.

I note that the piano sounds a bit distant, like sitting in a big hall in 4th tow or more from stage

Jul 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #41,569 of 45,723
Hiya, mates!
I am wondering if somebody has already compared a stock 1A "converted" to 1Z with a switch and the 1Z FW
with a stock 1Z in a sort of blind listening test?

I assume that by doing so you'd be able to catch what are the "sound signature" differences
which are resulting only from the different hardware 1Z has onboard (wires, body, caps, etc.)
Did someone give it a try and what's the result?

Yes, I actually can give you a fairly complete run-down. Though keep in mind the Japan export 1A and 1Z originally come with a Sony factory “U” region setting and I have used the Rockbox region changer to switch both to “J”. Both players have good burn-in with the 1A at just under 700 hours and the 1Z around 1500 hours?

Anyway this direct comparison is the 1A with both the 1Z switcher and 1A/Z+ used. The 1Z on standard factory 3.02 firmware. Also I have not done this test blind but spent a total of maybe 13 hours listening at minimum.

The thing is the 1A with these mods, has a new and exciting sound. My previous love was the stock 1Z with 3.02. So the big deal is the excitement of the new toy phenomenon. Typically stuff can simply sound new (different) but not better and become a choice.

I have to say at this point actually I prefer the 1A. But not maybe for the best reasons. The 1A now has a bigger soundstage than the stock 1Z. The 1Z may still have a better front to back soundstage but the 1A mods make the 1A very much improved in soundstage. The 1A soundstage seems to be made thicker in all directions than before?

The 1A bass does not go as deep nor the treble.......as bright as the stock 1Z. What we are left with is a more correct and midcentric experience. Yet there seems to be nothing left out and nothing to be of wanting more. The excitement comes from fast sonic change-ups that allows the perception of speed, but not just in bass but across the frequency range. Also with less boomy bass comes an offering of better detail view.

The 1A has this placement of electric rhythm guitars that has em delineated and in spaced separation from everything else. In that unique imaging they are detailed and correctly textured all while being also up close and clear. So it’s a bigger soundstage but all filled in with elements. All those elements are of great timbre and focus.

So it’s a new form of real for the 1A. Where the 1Z still has more authority and going back it’s maybe technically better, but the 1A is just so fun. The difference would be the 1A is thinner but has added fullness and complexity......from the old way it was. So with the 1A there is this fast hidden bass that’s surprising and new. Where the 1Z has a slower and warmer response which is great too, but different. It’s just if you had both for years this pace with the 1A becomes addictive and something that you look forward to.

But the crazy part is on paper the stock 1Z should win. It has a more complete sound, it has more physicality to the imaging elements? The 1Z should by all accounts be better here? Yet in the end the 1A even seems to have better transient response?

I’m using the Noble Encore IEM and IER-Z1R in balanced 4.4mm.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #41,570 of 45,723
More DSEEHX AI testing, sound good
15955167228518595887883439494031.jpg

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #41,571 of 45,723
I no longer use.the internal memory, I've decided to distribute my music across three mSD cards. Library builds faster
1TB - composers A-C, D-F, G-I
512GB - J-K, L-N
400GB - O-Q, R-T, U-W, X-Z
So you have to swap card if you want to change from Mahler to Bach, and it will take longer time to rebuild the library. How much will it take to build the database for the 1TB card?

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #41,573 of 45,723
Can someone try CEV region and share some impressions

I think its surprisingly well balanced between bass/mid/treble... I hear slightly more definition in bass....

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #41,574 of 45,723

I think its surprisingly well balanced between bass/mid/treble... I hear slightly more definition in bass....

hey crazy tigro , which mode has won your heart today ?

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #41,575 of 45,723
hey crazy tigro , which mode has won your heart today ?

Rocking 1z stock today still on 1a+ decided to fool around with regions 😜😛🤩

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #41,576 of 45,723
Yes, I actually can give you a fairly complete run-down. Though keep in mind the Japan export 1A and 1Z originally come with a Sony factory “U” region setting and I have used the Rockbox region changer to switch both to “J”. Both players have good burn-in with the 1A at just under 700 hours and the 1Z around 1500 hours?

Anyway this direct comparison is the 1A with both the 1Z switcher and 1A/Z+ used. The 1Z on standard factory 3.02 firmware. Also I have not done this test blind but spent a total of maybe 13 hours listening at minimum.

The thing is the 1A with these mods, has a new and exciting sound. My previous love was the stock 1Z with 3.02. So the big deal is the excitement of the new toy phenomenon. Typically stuff can simply sound new (different) but not better and become a choice.

I have to say at this point actually I prefer the 1A. But not maybe for the best reasons. The 1A now has a bigger soundstage than the stock 1Z. The 1Z may still have a better front to back soundstage but the 1A mods make the 1A very much improved in soundstage. The 1A soundstage seems to be made thicker in all directions than before?

The 1A bass does not go as deep nor the treble.......as bright as the stock 1Z. What we are left with is a more correct and midcentric experience. Yet there seems to be nothing left out and nothing to be of wanting more. The excitement comes from fast sonic change-ups that allows the perception of speed, but not just in bass but across the frequency range. Also with less boomy bass comes an offering of better detail view.

The 1A has this placement of electric rhythm guitars that has em delineated and in spaced separation from everything else. In that unique imaging they are detailed and correctly textured all while being also up close and clear. So it’s a bigger soundstage but all filled in with elements. All those elements are of great timbre and focus.

So it’s a new form of real for the 1A. Where the 1Z still has more authority and going back it’s maybe technically better, but the 1A is just so fun. The difference would be the 1A is thinner but has added fullness and complexity......from the old way it was. So with the 1A there is this fast hidden bass that’s surprising and new. Where the 1Z has a slower and warmer response which is great too, but different. It’s just if you had both for years this pace with the 1A becomes addictive and something that you look forward to.

But the crazy part is on paper the stock 1Z should win. It has a more complete sound, it has more physicality to the imaging elements? The 1Z should by all accounts be better here? Yet in the end the 1A even seems to have better transient response?

I’m using the Noble Encore IEM and IER-Z1R in balanced 4.4mm.
Reading your info is like listening to Morgan Freeman narrate a story. Soothing to the soul. Nice write up.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #41,577 of 45,723
So you have to swap card if you want to change from Mahler to Bach, and it will take longer time to rebuild the library. How much will it take to build the database for the 1TB card?
Like 1 minute

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #41,578 of 45,723
I really like DSEEHX AI with Z+ FW version. I play it with JBL 305 active speakers via balanced cables direct to Sony 1Z. It sounds even better, more clearer than the speakers in my Lexus sedan. That's quite an achievement, considering JBL 305 is a pretty much cheap speakers. Very warm and muddy, now it sounds crystal clear, alive. It's magic. Its like listening to iems using speakers form, maybe 85% to 90% performance in terms of clarity. Very very musical, thanks a huge part to FW1A/1Z+, which I think works best with warm iems/headphones. I'm sure a lot of us who own 1A/1Z are very pleased with the latest FWs. It curbs the itch to upgrade to latest and greatest Daps.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #41,579 of 45,723
I really like DSEEHX AI with Z+ FW version. I play it with JBL 305 active speakers via balanced cables direct to Sony 1Z. It sounds even better, more clearer than the speakers in my Lexus sedan. That's quite an achievement, considering JBL 305 is a pretty much cheap speakers. Very warm and muddy, now it sounds crystal clear, alive. It's magic. Its like listening to iems using speakers form, maybe 85% to 90% performance in terms of clarity. Very very musical, thanks a huge part to FW1A/1Z+, which I think works best with warm iems/headphones. I'm sure a lot of us who own 1A/1Z are very pleased with the latest FWs. It curbs the itch to upgrade to latest and greatest Daps.
I have JBL 305 and the speaker performs ways above its price tag. Currently hooked it to my Taurus balance preamp and r2r dac.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #41,580 of 45,723

I liked CEV but I don't believe it supports the Sony remote so I couldn't use it. The mids are slightly scooped so you can hear the bass more clearly. CE7 is similar to CEV (with slightly more high frequencies), and does support the remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back