SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #41,628 of 45,723
This is the official Sony article on DSEE HX AI, you need google translate to read it in English:
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/dseehx/
Thank you I have the same from the vinyl procesor! wow this new FW is getting even better every update
-like the new tipo on boot
-I can actually hear improvement over original DSEE on this HX one! even just by installing the software IMPRESIVE JOB! maybe im crazy but i can hear the high they are talking about!
I think this DSEE HX sounds closer to ClearAudio+ since clearaudio also improves staging wideness and elevation!
-if there would be a way to include ClearAudio+ on one extra tab and innclude good old Standard it will be awesome but I know the SO has it limitations and i guess for all our safety reason its better this way.
-im really liking that i produces better the soundstage and the effect that standart produced kind of capped the resolution more... this one since more tolerant and also its more-audible overall! like it selects what to boost and it do it right!
-it should say Insane Staging its unvailed just for isntalling this FW and enabling DSEE HX .. did not have to swich anything it sounds way more natural and balanced than before but with the new staging it feels like a new walkman... Bass Is very well balanced Also
-And yes I AM a effect fan! will never trade my effects for nothing else haha
-Side Effect now I can hear some songs of michael jackson and they dont sound piercing at all...
Also Thank you Nishio-san and as Usual MrWalkman

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #41,629 of 45,723
One thing to note about this DSEE HX AI.

This is coming from my experience with it on my ZX507 and not WM1. Please do note this is my own subjective experience and cannot be backed up by facts or measurements.

I find that if my Walkman has been left powered off for a while and cold started, when I first enable DSEE HX AI, I find some well recorded tracks to exhibit un-natural sounding vocal simbliance.

But when my Walkman has been switch on and running for more than 24hours. The vocal simbliance is no longer present with DSEE HX AI.

I don't know what is causing this but I am speculating it might have to do with upsampling to 32bit 192KHz requiring much more precise clocking from the clock osilicator and that clock osilicator need warm up time to achieve it's timing stability.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #41,630 of 45,723
One thing to note about this DSEE HX AI.

This is coming from my experience with it on my ZX507 and not WM1. Please do note this is my own subjective experience and cannot be backed up by facts or measurements.

I find that if my Walkman has been left powered off for a while and cold started, when I enable first DSEE HX AI, I find some well recorded tracks to exhibit un-natural sounding vocal simbliance.

But when my Walkman has been switch on and running for more than 24hours. The vocal simbliance is no longer present with DSEE HX AI.

I don't know what is causing this but I am speculating it might have to do with upsampling to 32bit 192KHz requiring much more more precise clocking from the clock osilicator and that clock osilicator need warm up time to achieve it's timing stability.
Does it mean that 1A/1Z should not be turned off ever if we want to achieve max potential with DSEE HX?

I think I know what it means,DSEE HX when used on mp3 actually added the height part that is missing in lower format, creating illusion of listening live. Thus lower format sounds more natural, more lifelike when this feature is used. Without it, lower format will sound less lively.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #41,632 of 45,723
Does it mean that 1A/1Z should not be turned off ever if we want to achieve max potential with DSEE HX?

I think I know what it means,DSEE HX when used on mp3 actually added the height part that is missing in lower format, creating illusion of listening live. Thus lower format sounds more natural, more lifelike when this feature is used. Without it, lower format will sound less lively.

Vocal simbliance varies with music tracks, iems and the sensitivity of the listener. Some might notice it but some might not. I guess what I have noticed can be experimented by anyone who has a Walkman with DSEE HX AI.

I think this warming up/constantly powered up practice is something that is up to the individual to decide if that's something that they would want to do. Some would worry about ecological damage caused by wasted energy and others would fear causing unnecessary wear to their precious lithum-ion battery. And there are some of us with special tiger ears that would do anything to achieve maximum sonic pleasure.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #41,633 of 45,723
Now, I wonder, is DSEEHX AI that is inside Walkman has the same Level of Progressiveness as when it is Inside DMP Z1 ?

They give out the Hi-Res Audio coats at that meeting.

856C52A0-5676-40CB-940F-5204DFF1420D.jpeg

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #41,634 of 45,723
I believe this Wm1a to Wm1z doesn't have the same modification process applied to the system compared to Wm1az+

It's already mentioned in the main post that "WM1A to 1Z" enables just switching the model and also adds DSEE HX AI. This is so 1A users can check out the 1Z stock sound signature. :)

But it’s been said WM1AZ+ is not just a sound tune but a custom firmware so I assume the sound tuning parameters known and manipulated by some people over here when making his Fw tunings are untouched and the improvements in sound comes from changes in another area so the players sound different than with the stock fw. Am I right @MrWalkman ?

Yes, the stock tuning is used externally, while the changes in the sound comes from inside the firmware.

I would never just take absolutes from internet. I think it's best to experiment and decide for yourself, though advice and sharing of your personal experience is always welcomed.

Now, I wonder, is DSEEHX AI that is inside Walkman has the same Level of Progressiveness as when it is Inside DMP Z1 ?

It uses the same parameters as in the DMP-Z1. The NW-A55 uses slightly different parameters. Unfortunately, I can't go into details.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #41,636 of 45,723
That meant you were able to look into DMP Z1 as well ? Even without the DMP ?

Yeah, at this point I don't need to own any player to be able to check out stuff.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #41,637 of 45,723
This is what Sony help guide recommends for ZX507 users on which mode to use(guess this also should be advisable for wm1 with DSEE HX AI firmware):

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx500/v1/en/contents/TP0002432956.html

Direct Source
This setting outputs the file’s original sound quality directly without applying any sound effects.
Turn on this function to listen to music without processing the audio signals. This will be effective when you enjoy High-Resolution Audio content. On one of the sound adjustment screens, tap the [DIRECT] switch to turn this function on or off

DSEE HX
This function upscales the sound quality of audio files. The sound quality will become almost equal to that of High-Resolution Audio. The function reproduces the clear high-range sound that is often lost.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #41,640 of 45,723
I am slowing comparing all of these permutations against a stock 1A and a stock 1Z using Region J and will post my findings here.
Yep, that would be very interesting, mate! :) Wondering if you on your IEMs would find any variant very close
sound wise to the stock 1Z (or the same for your ears).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back