SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #36,856 of 45,723
Hi mates, trying to decide between wm1z, sp1000m and n6ii, to go fully portable with my Solaris SE from a Hugo 2.

Now there's a big discount in wm1z but I have some doubts.

I listen almost any genre and listen at low-medium volume.

I've red balanced output has no hiss with Solaris, but someone, @Currawong I think, said a noise can be heard at the begining and end of the tracks, which is a big downside. Also, I like neutral and natural sound with a little of bass enhancement, but something overly bassy wouldn't fit my tastes either.

Can anyone advice me?

Thx a lot.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #36,857 of 45,723
Hi mates, trying to decide between wm1z, sp1000m and n6ii, to go fully portable with my Solaris SE from a Hugo 2.

I've red balanced output has no hiss with Solaris, but someone, @Currawong I think, said a noise can be heard at the begining and end of the tracks, which is a big downside. Also, I like neutral and natural sound with a little of bass enhancement, but something overly bassy wouldn't fit my tastes either.

Can anyone advice me?

Thx a lot.

Big discount on WM1Z???

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #36,858 of 45,723

Can anyone advice me?

Thx a lot.

I see the Solaris SE have a 10 Ohms impedance.

I use the Shure SE846 (9 Ohms impedance) with my WM1A, and I only hear some noise when changing the volume, especially if I have high gain on. This is for the 3.5 single ended output, will check for the balanced one as well.

But otherwise, I hear no noise when there's no sound in the song or if paused or at the beginning/end of a track.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #36,859 of 45,723

Can anyone advice me?

Thx a lot.

lotoo paw gold touch is your best friend!

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #36,860 of 45,723

Can anyone advice me?

Thx a lot.

If you are going to just use the dap as a transport to feed your Hugo I would consider it a waste to spend thath much to buy any of those daps

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #36,861 of 45,723
Big discount on WM1Z???

Yes, 2335 € at supersonido.es. Maybe a new model is coming.

I see the Solaris SE have a 10 Ohms impedance.

I use the Shure SE846 (9 Ohms impedance) with my WM1A, and I only hear some noise when changing the volume, especially if I have high gain on. This is for the 3.5 single ended output, will check for the balanced one as well.

But otherwise, I hear no noise when there's no sound in the song or if paused or at the beginning/end of a track.

Thanks mate! I normally do not hear hiss with se846 either... They are not so hissy such as Solaris.

lotoo paw gold touch is your best friend!

Wow, for sure, but it's over my budget.

If you are going to just use the dap as a transport to feed your Hugo I would consider it a waste to spend thath much to buy any of those daps

No, no. The idea is go fully portable. Use Solaris only and exclusively from the dap.

Thank you all! Let's see if I can get more info about because I can't audition them, so I have to make a blind buy.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #36,862 of 45,723

Thanks mate! I normally do not hear hiss with se846 either... They are not so hissy such as Solaris.

No, no. The idea is go fully portable. Use Solaris only and exclusively from the dap.

Thank you all! Let's see if I can get more info about because I can't audition them, so I have to make a blind buy.
I would say go with 1Z, but then again I’m Sony fan.

In all seriousness, 1Z sound is opposite of Hugo2 in that the former is more analogue sound, think warm, amazing bass and treble, while the later is digital type. The different FW available will provide variable choices and sound profiles, so flexibility here. The bad thing about Sony is it realistically needs huge amount of burn time >400 to 500 hours each side. You cannot judge 1Z direct out of the box, you’ll be greatly disappointed. You gotta burn them. Good news is that sound quality wise should be better than SP 1K and N6ii, bad news is it cost more.

If you don’t really mind the cost and more analogue sound, I think you’ll be very happy with 1Z over time.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #36,863 of 45,723

Can anyone advice me?

Thx a lot.
You are coming into a sony thread and ask for recommendation? honestly 90% people will say Sony daps rule all. Seriously, I have already stopped looking for new daps at the moment. The last ones I tried were sp2000 and m15

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #36,864 of 45,723
Just confirmed, tested my tune with UPG file from DMP1.02 and sound quality is good as it should every time.

Update Concerto right after restore stock fw 3.02 (normal flash) and it sounds just horrible. Too boomy or blanketed in lower-mid and bass. Lag of resolution overall. Treble fine details are gone.

If Concerto tune had already installed and flash it again but this time with blank UPG file, that's the only way to achieve the closest similarity. I can still hear some differences between with and without DMP1.02 file. It sounds blanketed still but at least not boomy like before. Treble is a little better. I don't have an explanation for all this but that's what I got as a results.

So if anyone update any tune with dummy UPG file in it, I would recommend restore stock fw first. Useless you know you are on vanilla version of the 3.02. That's including Classical and Vinyl fw.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #36,865 of 45,723

if you only want to use it as a source, may as well then buy dx160 or dx220 if budget is an issue....

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #36,866 of 45,723
if you only want to use it as a source, may as well then buy dx160 or dx220 if budget is an issue....

I want to use it as a portable DAC/amp solution, without anything else in the chain, selling the Hugo 2. I can't have a place where install a desktop setup, so I need something to listen on the go.

May 1, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #36,867 of 45,723
I want to use it as a portable DAC/amp solution, without anything else in the chain, selling the Hugo 2. I can't have a place where install a desktop setup, so I need something to listen on the go.

If you want TOTL you got no other choices then wm1z or LPGT or sp2000, you wanna save a buck then you got, wm1a lp6k cayin n6ii plenue L, wanna save even more zx507 ibasso Fiio shanling.

If I where you I would go below 1a or lotoo paw 6000 plenue L, even cayin n6ii dont have all the nuances that totl dap offers. zx507 not theire either. To my ears and experience 1z is a notche above hugo2 I did a/b test the 2 side by side for 3.5 hours. came out that 1z has better bass and more musical and better isolation. all chord devices tend to catch emi rfi noise.

I forgot you also got cayin N8, Id rate it this way 1z->n8->hugo2->lpgt->sp2000->lp6k->plenue L->dx220->zx507->m15->dx160->mojo

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #36,868 of 45,723
The ONLY WAY TO DEAL WITH QOBUZ'S FAKE FLAC DOWNLOADS is VIA PAYPAL. Downloaded a 24/96 album and it is a CD upsample! No inofrmation above 22Khz

May 1, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #36,869 of 45,723
If you want TOTL you got no other choices then wm1z or LPGT or sp2000, you wanna save a buck then you got, wm1a lp6k cayin n6ii plenue L, wanna save even more zx507 ibasso Fiio shanling.

If I where you I would go below 1a or lotoo paw 6000 plenue L, even cayin n6ii dont have all the nuances that totl dap offers. zx507 not theire either. To my ears and experience 1z is a notche above hugo2 I did a/b test the 2 side by side for 3.5 hours. came out that 1z has better bass and more musical and better isolation. all chord devices tend to catch emi rfi noise.

I forgot you also got cayin N8, Id rate it this way 1z->n8->hugo2->lpgt->sp2000->lp6k->plenue L->dx220->zx507->m15->dx160->mojo

Nice info. Thank you very much!
Damn, 1z offer is biting me hard.

May 1, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #36,870 of 45,723

Can anyone advice me?

Thx a lot.

Hi there,

Just to add my 2€ to the range of comments here (I saw you are in Spain) :)

Well, I have owned both WM1Z and LPGT.
I've heard the SP1000 for a short demo at CanJam. It sounded good but didn't blow me away at first listen.
But then, as I said, it was only a short demo in a non-ideal listening environment, so I'll focus on the WM1Z and LPGT with which I have a lot of experience.

There are some factors that you might wish to consider before making this decision.

1) With the WM1Z, if you read around this thread, and the companion thread about modding the WM1Z, you will find there has been a LOT of information posted about hardware modifications (mods) that can be done to the WM1A or WM1Z.

There are different levels of hardware mods, ranging from upgrading some of the internal wires, to swapping (and even adding) capacitors, etc.
These mods can cost from a relatively small amount, up to several hundred pounds.

A pretty heavily modified WM1A can, from reports here, very much exceed the performance of the WM1Z.
A heavily modified WM1Z can approach the level of Sony's flagship desktop/transportable DMP-1Z ($7k or so!).

The best value (and we're talking EXTREMELY good value for money) option seems to be to get a new or used WM1A and then have it modded with a medium to heavy level of hardware mods.

Also, with such mods, you have the chance to customise the sound signature of the DAP to your preferred signature.
Choices of wire materials and capacitors can make it sound more organic and warm, or more reference or bright, etc.

There's always a risk that something could go wrong, but if you go to a recommended modder, those risks are low, and I imagine they'd do everything they can to help you in the event of repairs being required etc. Only you can decide if that's a risk you're willing to take.
I personally think that for the potential upside, balanced against the level of risk (including the likelihood of that risk event occurring), it IS a decision worth considering.

2) Then, on top of that, you will again find in these two Head-Fi threads people posting firmware mods.
They are mostly ones that can be easily added with little to no risk onto the WM1Z and can just be swapped back easily to the Sony official ones if you wish.
They all offer different kinds of sound signatures, so again the key here is the ability to heavily customise the DAP to your personal preferences.

3) of course, on top of that, both LPGT and WM1Z offer the ability to digitally alter your DAP's sound.
Sony has an outstanding range of 'effects', and the LPGT has legendary PMEQ (advanced graphic equaliser) function.
Sony has it's S-Master stuff and sophisticated digital processing.
LPGT has discrete hardware/power sections for different functions, including a Blackfin chip (see their thread for more info - I'm no expert on this stuff, but I just know it sounds great!). Anyone interested should take a look at the hardware architecture for the LPGT, it's something that I haven't seen elsewhere.

4) Finally, if you're not interested in any mods, whether FW or hardware, then here's my comparison of the two players.
They are both built like a tank, but the LPGT is significantly smaller and lighter (still weighty in the hand, but less of a gold brick than the WM1Z).
I haven't held a WM1A, but I imagine it would be more similar in weight to an LPGT.

If you like using digital effects to modify the sound signature, Sony has a comprehensive range.
I never really explored those options on the LPGT, but I'd imagine it has some too, and based on it's other functions and performance, I'd imagine they're excellent too.

Regarding appearance, this is going to be even more subjective to most of us than all the other things I suppose :)
Personally, I love gold when it's classy and understated (not too shiny and bling-like). I find the LPGT pretty unappealing in appearance, only the gold volume wheel was good for me. However, when I take the protective sleeve off the WM1Z, and gaze upon it on all its naked glory, it's just an object of utter beauty to me :)

Regarding battery life, I can't remember what it is for the LPGT, but based on my usage, I'm guessing a more normal 7-10 hours.
With these Sony DAPs, I don't know how they do what no one else in the market seems to be able/willing to do, but they last for crazy amounts of hours (22-32 hours?).

Regarding UI and speed.
Sony has a fast and polished UI of course, being a huge company with money to throw at such development.
I've had some issues with album art not appearing (which I never had an issue with on the LPGT).
However, there's various posts on here about how to resolve it (and in another related thread helping people with any such issues); I've just been too busy to read and do it.

Sony start up takes.. I don't know how long, but it seems like 2-3 minutes, as it says 'creating database' whenever it's powered on.
LPGT start up (from powering on) is the stuff of legend. They've developed their own OS, and you can be playing files in 2 - 5 seconds from powering on :)

Regarding sound, I have to say I think the LPGT sounds better out of the box than the WM1Z.
Meaning if I had to choose one of the other based solely on its default sound signature, with no hardware mods, FW mods or DSP/EQ tweaking, then I felt the LPGT was just better, and a fair amount better too.
With the LPGT, it just made every IEM I plugged into it (at any price) sound like it was one tier better.
So a midrange one sounded more like TOTL, cheaper one sounded more like mid-range, etc.

Also, it just did it in an effortlessly natural way. Just big holographic soundstage and separation, superb layering and imaging, terrific detail levels and a sound signature that's somehow addictively musical and engaging but without excessively colouring the sound signature in any way. Really, it's just astonishing.

So you'd have to weigh up all these various factors to make a decision.
I've seen places doing offers on the LPGT (I think I saw one well known website selling it at around $2500?).
I think if you're open to the idea of modding FW or hardware, then based on all my reading thus far, I suspect/hope the WM1Z has the ability to scale higher (perhaps quite a bit higher) than the LPGT.
And if you get a new or used WM1A and have that modded, then you can get a similar result for a MUCH lower cost :)

Well, that's my thoughts. I know you weren't initially considering the LPGT, but it's what I have experience with, plus I've seen it on sale at prices around your budget range, so I felt these comparisons might be worth posting. And of course if they can help anyone else on here, then great!
Hope you (and anyone else) found this helpful. All constructive questions/comments welcome :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back