SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #36,871 of 45,723
Regarding battery life, I can't remember what it is for the LPGT, but based on my usage, I'm guessing a more normal 7-10 hours.
With these Sony DAPs, I don't know how they do what no one else in the market seems to be able/willing to do, but they last for crazy amounts of hours (22-32 hours?).

This is because Sony uses the class D amplifier design, which can theoretically be 100% efficient. In real life, it's usually more than 90% efficient.

Lotoo Paw Gold uses a class A amp design, which has an efficiency of around 25-50%.

That's also why the Sony daps are not heating up when playing, while other daps are. The heat is the wasted (dissipated) power.

pwm-f1.gif

An example graph, though it's a comparison between class D and class AB, which can be more efficient than class A.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #36,872 of 45,723
Hi there,

Just to add my 2€ to the range of comments here (I saw you are in Spain) :)

Well, I have owned both WM1Z and LPGT.
I've heard the SP1000 for a short demo at CanJam. It sounded good but didn't blow me away at first listen.
But then, as I said, it was only a short demo in a non-ideal listening environment, so I'll focus on the WM1Z and LPGT with which I have a lot of experience.

There are some factors that you might wish to consider before making this decision.

1) With the WM1Z, if you read around this thread, and the companion thread about modding the WM1Z, you will find there has been a LOT of information posted about hardware modifications (mods) that can be done to the WM1A or WM1Z.

There are different levels of hardware mods, ranging from upgrading some of the internal wires, to swapping (and even adding) capacitors, etc.
These mods can cost from a relatively small amount, up to several hundred pounds.

A pretty heavily modified WM1A can, from reports here, very much exceed the performance of the WM1Z.
A heavily modified WM1Z can approach the level of Sony's flagship desktop/transportable DMP-1Z ($7k or so!).

The best value (and we're talking EXTREMELY good value for money) option seems to be to get a new or used WM1A and then have it modded with a medium to heavy level of hardware mods.

Also, with such mods, you have the chance to customise the sound signature of the DAP to your preferred signature.
Choices of wire materials and capacitors can make it sound more organic and warm, or more reference or bright, etc.

There's always a risk that something could go wrong, but if you go to a recommended modded, those risks are low, and I imagine they'd do everything they can to help you in the event of repairs being required etc. Only you can decide if that's a risk you're willing to take.
I personally think that for the potential upside, balanced against the level of risk (including the likelihood of that risk event occurring), it IS a decision worth considering.

2) Then, on top of that, you will again find in these two Head-Fi threads people posting firmware mods.
They are mostly ones that can be easily added with little to no risk onto the WM1Z and can just be swapped back easily to the Sony official ones if you wish.
They all offer different kinds of sound signatures, so again the key here is the ability to heavily customise the DAP to your personal preferences.

3) of course, on top of that, both LPGT and WM1Z offer the ability to digitally alter your DAP's sound.
Sony has an outstanding range of 'effects', and the LPGT has legendary PMEQ (advanced graphic equaliser) function.
Sony has it's S-Master stuff and sophisticated digital processing.
LPGT has discrete hardware/power sections for different functions, including a Blackfin chip (see their thread for more info - I'm no expert on this stuff, but I just know it sounds great!). Anyone interested should take a look at the hardware architecture for the LPGT, it's something that I haven't seen elsewhere.

4) Finally, if you're not interested in any mods, whether FW or hardware, then here's my comparison of the two players.
They are both built like a tank, but the LPGT is significantly smaller and lighter (still weighty in the hand, but less of a gold brick than the WM1Z).
I haven't held a WM1A, but I imagine it would be more similar in weight to an LPGT.

If you like using digital effects to modify the sound signature, Sony has a comprehensive range.
I never really explored those options on the LPGT, but I'd imagine it has some too, and based on it's other functions and performance, I'd imagine they're excellent too.

Regarding appearance, this is going to be even more subjective to most of us than all the other things I suppose :)
Personally, I love gold when it's classy and understated (not too shiny and bling-like). I find the LPGT pretty unappealing in appearance, only the gold volume wheel was good for me. However, when I take the case of the WM1Z, and gaze upon it on all it's naked glory, it's just an object of utter beauty to me :)

Regarding battery life, I can't remember what it is for the LPGT, but based on my usage, I'm guessing a more normal 7-10 hours.
With these Sony DAPs, I don't know how they do what no one else in the market seems to be able/willing to do, but they last for crazy amounts of hours (22-32 hours?).

Regarding UI and speed.
Sony has a fast and polished UI of course, being a huge company with money to throw at such development.
I've had some issues with album art not appearing (which I never had an issue with on the LPGT).
However, there's various posts on here about how to resolve it (and in another related thread helping people with any such issues); I've just been too busy to read and do it.

Sony start up takes.. I don't know how long, but it seems like 2-3 minutes, as it says 'creating database' whenever it's powered on.
LPGT start up (from powering on) is the stuff of legend. They've developed their own OS, and you can be playing files in 2 - 5 seconds from powering on :)

Regarding sound, I have to say I think the LPGT sounds better out of the box than the WM1Z.
Meaning if I had to choose one of the other based solely on its default sound signature, with no hardware mods, FW mods or DSP/EQ tweaking, then I felt the LPGT was just better, and a fair amount better too.
With the LPGT, it just made every IEM I plugged into it (at any price) sound like it was one tier better.
So a midrange one sounded more like TOTL, cheaper one sounded more like mid-range, etc.

Also, it just did it in an effortlessly natural way. Just big holographic soundstage and separation, superb layering and imaging, terrific detail levels and a sound signature that's somehow addictively musical and engaging but without excessively colouring the sound signature in any way. Really, it's just astonishing.

So you'd have to weigh up all these various factors to make a decision.
I've seen places doing offers on the LPGT (I think I saw one well known website selling it at around $2500?).
I think if you're open to the idea of modding FW or hardware, then based on all my reading thus far, I suspect the WM1Z has the ability to scale higher than the LPGT.
And if you get a new or used WM1A and have that modded, then you can get a similar result for a MUCH lower cost :)

Well, that's my thoughts. I know you weren't initially considering the LPGT, but it's what I have experience with, plus I've seen it on sale at prices around your budget range, so I felt these comparisons might be worth posting. And of course if they can help anyone else on here, then great!
Hope you (and anyone else) found this helpful. All constructive questions/comments welcome :)

Wow, really helpful post mate.

Yes, I noticed the thread is plenty of people who mod their Sony daps. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of hardware mods, software seems much safer, but in any case, I won't do any mod to a 1z until warranty is expired. Yes, I'm that kind of person lol.

About price range I was thinking of 2k budget... Sp1000m, n6ii, etc. But 1z offer made me think to go up until 2,4k, because possibly it is worth the money. I'm a bit disappointed with Sony in the past years, but seems this product is like a stone, so I hope it has the durability it is supposed to have. The battery life is really attractive and I don't care too much about design, but yes, looks nice.

I'll get more info about lpgt, but seems a good contender also, as vitally said. Low battery life maybe it's a downside but not a deal-breaker. And the price is higher than I wanted.

The wm1a problem is I red it hisses considerably with CA Solaris, and can't know for sure if mods can fix this. A high modification would be the answer but how much does it cost? I can find it for 900€ approx new, but I really need it to be dead silent. It's an option I'm going to study.

Thanks so much for this awesome post... Really helpful. I have to collect more info and take a decision based on your advices, so I'm very pleased with you all.

May 1, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #36,873 of 45,723

Yes, I noticed the thread is plenty of people who mod their Sony daps. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of hardware mods, software seems much safer, but in any case, I won't do any mod to a 1z until warranty is expired. Yes, I'm that kind of person lol.

About price range I was thinking of 2k budget... Sp1000m, n6ii, etc. But 1z offer made me think to go up until 2,4k, because possibly it is worth the money. I'm a bit disappointed with Sony in the past years, but seems this product is like a stone, so I hope it has the durability it is supposed to have. The battery life is really attractive and I don't care too much about design, but yes, looks nice.

I'll get more info about lpgt, but seems a good contender also, as vitally said. Low battery life maybe it's a downside but not a deal-breaker. And the price is higher than I wanted.

The wm1a problem is I red it hisses considerably with CA Solaris, and can't know for sure if mods can fix this. A high modification would be the answer but how much does it cost? I can find it for 900€ approx new, but I really need it to be dead silent. It's an option I'm going to study.

Thanks so much for this awesome post... Really helpful. I have to collect more info and take a decision based on your advices, so I'm very pleased with you all.

The Lotoo Paw 6000 is 90% of the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch For less than half the price. Both of the Lotoos have a very black background and no hiss based on reviews I have read.

May 1, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #36,874 of 45,723
Nice info. Thank you very much!
Damn, 1z offer is biting me hard.

Few weeks ago I went and listened to a whole bunch of Daps. Basically the totl models are all aiming at this hifi tuning where things are not in your face, but still conserving the details. A velvety sound if you will. Like the difference between vodka and wine. Cheaper daps like Fiio m11pro and SR15 deliver good details, but lack the “refined warmth” that we audiophiles seem to pursue.

I’d suggest sp1000m for being the cheapest and yet have that “TOTL” sound signature. Or perhaps Kann cube or wm1a. They all aren’t very portable either.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #36,875 of 45,723
So you guys stated Media Center had DSEE but you guys have the magic plug for it lol! also been able to measure and DSEE does a lot on the 18 to 20K region it boost a lot if you see my eq i do that normally i wish my 1A had a 20k EQ cheers!
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #36,876 of 45,723

I don't hear any hiss on the Solaris in balanced on the 1A using normal volume (50-65) on low gain.

May 1, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #36,877 of 45,723
So you guys stated Media Center had DSEE but you guys have the magic plug for it lol! also been able to measure and DSEE does a lot on the 18 to 20K region it boost a lot if you see my eq i do that normally i wish my 1A had a 20k EQ cheers!
Untitled.jpg
Is a windows MAC skin or you're running a virtual machine in a MAC?

May 1, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #36,879 of 45,723
Blondie - Parallel Lines
600x600bb.jpg
Fueled by Absinth, rage and a heavy hand on the volume button...

Q-6

May 1, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #36,880 of 45,723
Disturbed - The Sickness
600x600bb.jpg
All starts here...

IEM swap, although similar and on 4.4 Dunu 3001 Pro switched out for XBA-N3 on Sony's Kimber Kabel (MUC-S12B1), N3's nails the sub bass that touch more...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #36,881 of 45,723
Die Antwoord - Donker Mag
600x600bb.jpg
You owe it to yourself to see Die Antwoord's music videos, way out there. On XBA-N3 bass just sings out...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #36,882 of 45,723
Die Antwoord - Donker Mag
600x600bb.jpg
You owe it to yourself to see Die Antwoord's music videos, way out there. On XBA-N3 bass just sings out...

Q-6
More so than Tool's?

May 1, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #36,884 of 45,723
Black Sabbath
600x600bb.jpg
Will test your gear as is al over the place

Q-6

May 1, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #36,885 of 45,723
Can any kind souls here post the links to all the various firmware mods for the Sony WM1A? I am having a hard time finding these links. I presume these links will also provide instructions on how to load the modified firmware to the WM1A. Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back