SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #36,646 of 45,723
Do you prefer Autumn+ or Solis?
After some testing on Autumn+, I felt it was nice and different experience, but I still went back to Solis.

I personally feel Solis sounds more alive and detailed than all the firmwares (planets & seasons & others), and it makes me always go back to Solis.
:)

CN - Tuned for the Chinese market, heavy on resolution, bass is tamed
I have been on MX & MX3 regions for long time, as my fav regions... On Solis firmware.
But.
This "CN" region does sound to have the most detail of all the regions, but it's missing the bass!

So I thought wait, I will combine this region, with the bass from Diavlos...And...wow.

I have to say, I finally feel I'm not missing the liveliness and resolve that I am used to( with Solis).

So I now have another "sweet spot" choice of firmware/region to enjoy.

So for my 1z, Diavloss firmwares on CN region works very well. Great synergy!

Need to test more, so we'll see how long this love lasts!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #36,647 of 45,723
After some testing on Autumn+, I felt it was nice and different experience, but I still went back to Solis.

I personally feel Solis sounds more alive and detailed than all the firmwares (planets & seasons & others), and it makes me always go back to Solis.

I have been on MX & MX3 regions for long time, as my fav regions... On Solis firmware.
But.
This "CN" region does sound to have the most detail of all the regions, but it's missing the bass!

So I thought wait, I will combine this region, with the bass from Diavlos...And...wow.

I have to say, I finally feel I'm not missing the liveliness and resolve that I am used to.

So I now have another "sweet spot" choice of firmware/region to enjoy.

So for my 1z, Diavloss firmwares on CN region works very well.

Need to test more, so we'll see how long this love lasts!
I also have a same impression on CN region. I love solis on J or MX3. With me MX too much bass and CN missing bass though it have more detail.

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #36,649 of 45,723
Been a while. WM1A - Autumn+ - J

Attachments

• 926C218D-DC00-49EC-935F-F57BBA5DE74F.jpeg
    926C218D-DC00-49EC-935F-F57BBA5DE74F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #36,650 of 45,723
Hello, and allow me to introduce you...

Avlos and Diavlos.

Avlos
(or Diavlos) was one of the most significant ancient Greek wind instruments used
in almost all the private and public ceremonies, in national competitions, in processions
and in tragedies. It was connected with the worship of the ancient God Dionysus. Dionysus
was the Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure, festivity, madness and wild frenzy.

Avlos - Sweet and laid back sound, with unmistakable detail retrieval, and balanced
all across the range. Experience warmth, musicality, and smoothness in your music.

Diavlos - Feel the punch and let the bass depth rattle your senses while producing
clear and airy vocals, coupled with silky smooth highs with excellent detail retrieval.

Feel free to give them a try, here (click).

Please note that the tunings were achieved on a stock WM1A, with firmware version 3.02, and
region J. Though you can find packages for WM1Z and ZX300/A in the link above, the tunings
may sound slightly different than on a stock WM1A.

Only Windows versions are available.

Thanks again, @aceedburn, for helping with the testing and with the descriptions for the mods.

Enjoy!
Thanks much @morgenstern09 and @aceedburn for another wonderful FWs! I am using Diavlos with my stock 1Z and FiR Audio M5 with Eletech Lliad cable and it is so amazing!

For my modded 1A, I still think Autumn+ is the one best suits me!

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #36,651 of 45,723
For my library for 16/44 or hi-res that is not dsd I use for multi disc compukations in album name either Album CD # or Album (Roman number) or Album, vol #.

For DSD I use Album SACD # and the above of roman or col. # too
15876538578713479002336383197354.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #36,652 of 45,723
For my library for 16/44 or hi-res that is not dsd I use for multi disc compukations in album name either Album CD # or Album (Roman number) or Album, vol #.

For DSD I use Album SACD # and the above of roman or col. # too

I never use the cd# tag, I renumber the tracks on cd 2 and upwards so it just appears as one album with a lot of tracks

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #36,653 of 45,723
Usually I use:

Code:
Artist Name/Album Name (year) [bit depth-sample rate]/Cd number Two digits track - Track title

Example: Arctic Monkeys/AM (2013) [16-44]/101 - Do I Wanna Know

Sometimes I use:

Code:
Artist Name/Album Name (year) [bit depth-sample rate]/CD number/Two digits track number - Track title

Example: Arctic Monkeys/AM (2013) [16-44]/CD 1/01 - Do I Wanna Know

For DSD I replace [16-44] with just DSD usually, the sample rate is already showing up in the player when playing the file and I mostly have DSD64 files.

Worked fine for me so far :D

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #36,654 of 45,723
These examples just show how impossible it is for music suppliers to deliver meta data that fits everybody

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #36,656 of 45,723
I use some software that renames the files like that based on the files' metadata. I just create the folder structure :)

EZ CD Audio Converter (it also supports DSD)

Yes so do I, but I almost always have to massage the meta data first as it does not meet how I use meta data

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #36,658 of 45,723
Usually I use:

Code:
Artist Name/Album Name (year) [bit depth-sample rate]/Cd number Two digits track - Track title

Example: Arctic Monkeys/AM (2013) [16-44]/101 - Do I Wanna Know

Sometimes I use:

Code:
Artist Name/Album Name (year) [bit depth-sample rate]/CD number/Two digits track number - Track title

Example: Arctic Monkeys/AM (2013) [16-44]/CD 1/01 - Do I Wanna Know

For DSD I replace [16-44] with just DSD usually, the sample rate is already showing up in the player when playing the file and I mostly have DSD64 files.

Worked fine for me so far :D
I only note the source type in the Album name: Here are a couple of examples:

Fleetwood Mac [Hi-Res] Downloaded or purchased content or a DVD-Audio rip.
Music from Big Pink [DSD] Purchased DSD or SACD rip
Hell Freezes Over [DVD] DVD Video rips, either 2 channel hi-res or hi-res multi-channel down mixed down during import to 2 channel

I also like to add the year to the album folder name so when browsing by folder I can see quicker which is the older albums and also makes it nice when listen to an folder as it will cycle from oldest to newest albums. I've thinking about even adding the year to the album sort tag. So when I browse by artist I'll see the albums by year since Sony is ignoring the Year tag.

This is how I organize my folders. At the top level I have folders for all the letters of the alphabet. Then under that a folder for each artist in alphabetical sort order and then album by year along with the appropriate playlist if I have one for that artist. Here is an example:

B
Band, The​
1968 - Music from Big Pink [DSD]​
1969 - The Band [DSD]​
1970 - Stage Fright [Hi-Res]​
1971 - Cahoots [Hi-Res]​
1975 - Northern Lights – Southern Cross [Hi-Res]​
2000 - Greatest Hits​
Band, The.m3u8​
Beach Boys, The​
1966 - Pet Sounds [Hi-Res]​
Beatles, The​
1967 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition [Hi-Res]​
1968 - The Beatles (The White Album) 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition [Hi-Res]​
1969 - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition [Hi-Res]​

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #36,659 of 45,723
Classical tune for NW-WM1Z is up! >> Here

Much improvement over the 1A version. I'll update a much better tune for vinyl and classical for 1A soon.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #36,660 of 45,723
Classical tune for NW-WM1Z is up! >> Here

Much improvement over the 1A version. I'll update a much better tune for vinyl and classical for 1A soon.
I’m very impressed with your interpretation for Classical 1Z. This is definitely top dog. Soundstage is very wide and grand, coupled with 1Z depth makes amazing 3 D stage. Feels very natural, lifelike. Timber spot on. Speed is right, no too fast or too slow. Separation is very good, you can hear every instruments clearly without having to strain yourself, even during complex passages. Bass is slamming, hits hard and no bleed. F*ck the vocals and echoes, they’re haunting. Most importantly to me, you achieve all this having energy, excitement while still sounding very bold and musical. This is done Right. Applaud to you!

Just want to say, AVLOS, DIAVLOS as well as Solis and Classical 1Z are the top FW for me. Thank you all who makes all these possible. You guys have amazing Tiger Ears. Continue churning up these FW and keep raising the bar Higher!

I’m using mod 1Z J Region 3.02 high gain, ALO 16 Gold iem cable and EE Phantom, never my fav since it’s so thick, cloudy and syrupy, but now I’m in heaven. 😃

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back