SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #36,616 of 45,723
I suspect those new names on the firmwares are related to the latest interactions that occurred between the two teams

Ah, no, trust me, there's no link here, I just liked the name.

Avlos is actually an instrument, connected with the worship of the ancient God Dionysus, and Dionysus was the Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure, festivity, madness and wild frenzy.

I actually studied a bit of Greek in highschool, so it's not my first time when I had contact with ancient Greece and its culture.

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #36,617 of 45,723
Ah, no, trust me, there's no link here, I just liked the name.

Avlos is actually an instrument, connected with the worship of the ancient God Dionysus, and Dionysus was the Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure, festivity, madness and wild frenzy.

I actually studied a bit of Greek in highschool, so it's not my first time when I had contact with ancient Greece and its culture.

why you use J always for tuning how about other regions? Like U seems to have deeper sub bass, MX3 seems more natural, J has also its own little special taste like feels airy

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #36,618 of 45,723
why you use J always for tuning how about other regions? Like U seems to have deeper sub bass, MX3 seems more natural, J has also its own little special taste like feels airy

Well, I don't have that much time to also experiment with regions. Avlos on J really sounds special, and has plenty of bass to me. Diavlos has even a bit more.

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #36,619 of 45,723
Over the last month at home I’ve been timing my 1Z under various conditions.

3 1/2 years old with about 3.500 hours of play time (unit had a factory reset at about 2.700 hours).
Unit in stand by when not playing, never turned off.
Battery saver 90% play 3-5 hours per day until turn off.
Balanced out 3.02 J plus Autumn+ or Solis

2020-03-26 723 hours: BaseLine
2020-03-31 738 hours: 15 hours HiRes flac with Vinyl processor + Normal gain
2020-04-05 753 hours: 15 hours HiRes flac with Vinyl processor + High gain
2020-04-10 771 hours: 18 hours HiRes flac Source Direct + Normal gain
2020-04-16 788 hours: 18 hours HiRes flac Source Direct + High gain
2020-04-21 809 hours: 21 hours Red Book flac Source Direct + High gain

So vinyl processor cost 3 hours play time as does mixed hires but high gain to same volume does not cost any.
Do you prefer Autumn+ or Solis?

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #36,620 of 45,723
For my setup stock 1Z, Region J, Solaris SE, DHC Clone Silver balanced Solis was too much as the Clone Silver is a resolution beast and presented everything. To me it ended up sounding unnatural with weird echo's in some vocals.

I went to Jupiter T3 for awhile and now on Autumn+.

So it all depends on IEM cable paring and what signature you like. For me I like a warm natural sound where I can get lost in the music.

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #36,621 of 45,723
Well, I don't have that much time to also experiment with regions. Avlos on J really sounds special, and has plenty of bass to me. Diavlos has even a bit more.

Its alright I was just curious as maybe it was the chef special recipe :) With J

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #36,622 of 45,723

Both. Different presentation but both very good. Solis is a McLaren F1 and Autumn+ is an Aston Martin

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #36,623 of 45,723
Finally reached 200 hours of the burn in process, but it feels like it's gonna get better. I like the synergy of the 3.01 fw with the Z1R, that bass rumble appears like a mobster. Briefly try the 3.02 fw, i've never hear the Z1R with that much detail, especially in the vocals, my mother lenguage is spanish, so i have to concentrate a bit more to understand the lyrics, but with the 3.02 fw i didn't have to try hard, but the bass was way back in the picture, like if it was grounded, altough it was tight.

Best records i heard so far on the WM1A were "Ella and Louis" 1956 24-96 FLAC and James Blake 2011 again on 24-96 FLAC. To me, this is the sweet spot, i don't have to put it on high gain, have a ton of battery, and after comparing it with 24-192 and DSD albums, to my learning ears there's no difference yet or at all.

That seems to be the case with any unofficial FW. Bass boost. More forward vocals. I really should A-B the effects of these FW and compare it to EQ.

Can someone make an opposite effect FW with lower the bass and push the vocals back?

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #36,624 of 45,723
That seems to be the case with any unofficial FW. Bass boost. More forward vocals. I really should A-B the effects of these FW and compare it to EQ.

Can someone make an opposite effect FW with lower the bass and push the vocals back?

I like the synergy of the 3.01 fw with the Z1R, that bass rumble appears like a mobster

I'm pretty sure he's talking about stock 3.01 firmware. There are differences from version to version between official firmwares.

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #36,625 of 45,723
So I tried the Avlos and Diavlos.

Avlos was a little too sharp for my preference slightly bright felt a little to strong on the attacks they have a sparkly hitting notes.
Was quiet well balanced.

Diavlos was right away aaa yea that bass is good :), I preferred that one more. Still felt a little to aggressive for my setup.

I once again came back to MX3+stock 3.0.2 it feels more balanced and not sharp very good synergy for my rig

Maybe if @morgenstern09 can smooth the edges of diavlos make a little more balanced, even out the bass with treble to bring them a little down. It might also be the 7 to 12 k region that might be bright instead of the 15k + I am not sure at 100%. With less aggression things would get more easy for the long run listeners, as the firmwares you made are great but for long term listen that can get fatiguing.

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #36,628 of 45,723
Thanks. I'm sticking with Solis, J region for now and will just enjoy the music. Heck, I had an Ipod forever until I found this site.

Solis 3.0.1 or 3.0.2? man 3.0.1 is much wilder animal then 3.0.2 :stuck_out_tongue: 3.0.2 to smooth too gentle :)

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #36,629 of 45,723
I opened Media Go in my PC and I noticed a weird label there (first image). When I clicked on it, some information got displayed in the right side panel of the application (second image). I clicked on the link and I got taken to https://mora.jp/help/?cpid=mediago.help.soushin/ (third image). Any idea what is this and why it is in Media Go?

I should say I changed the region of my 1Z to JP, and ran some mods in this PC.This was the first time I opened Media Go since then, and that label wasn't there last time I opened the program.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #36,630 of 45,723
I opened Media Go in my PC and I noticed a weird label there (first image). When I clicked on it, some information got displayed in the right side panel of the application (second image). I clicked on the link and I got taken to https://mora.jp/help/?cpid=mediago.help.soushin/ (third image). Any idea what is this and why it is in Media Go?

I should say I changed the region of my 1Z to JP, and ran some mods in this PC.This was the first time I opened Media Go since then, and that label wasn't there last time I opened the program.
From my basic Japanese understanding I think it detected the Japanese region change which added/unlocked a Japanese only feature, a link to download music from Mora.jp. But I think because you are outside of Japan it won't allow a direct link from the program and it is asking you to try using your browser to access the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back