SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #33,451 of 45,723
Why cant i install EU nor Japan FWS on my wm1a? It was bought from accesory jack (hong kobg) and recently changed region to J

the original region is hard coded and cant be altered. you need to choose according to that and not what you have changed to via rockbox

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #33,454 of 45,723
A number of modded fw taking bits of tuning from 1A, 1Z and DMP to create different/better sound
I'm totally out of the loop, seeing as there's plenty of users here now I'm guessing this is pretty recent? is there a tutorial or link to download these firmwares? all I can find on Google is the rockbox guide on how to change the region code

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #33,455 of 45,723
Just flipped my WM1A from CA to J on stock Sony 3.02, ideally need more time to really digest; Initially J is less energetic than CA, the presentation feels a little more accurate & denser, much more so than E or CN. On J the bass is most definitely present, however it feels more controlled by the music, not the device. Play a bass heavy track and the Walkman will deliver :sunglasses: Sub bass feels deeper and more resonant (Dunu 3001 Pro, not tried Andromeda as yet). Separation is superb.

Overall I'm wanting to listen to more music on J and have flipped back and forth with CA several times. I've now flipped both WM1A & ZX300 to J and will leave them be for a while. With the Dunu 3001 Pro a very rich sound signature is presented. I also noted that with regions CA & J I tend to listen at a reduced volume in comparison to CN, E I didn't dwell on as it was immediately too harsh on the WM1A. although acceptable on the ZX300.

Q-6
Yes. Like I wrote, J is more refined sounding. Bass in not as loose as CA. More detailed and defined and you can hear more fine nuances in the music. Sub digs deeper and mids are not over done like CA. I think J is the best all rounder. And this is coming form a person who loves bass. I get enough clean and pounding bass from J when it needs to be. E was a total disaster for me. Bass was severely lacking and mids were very thin sounding.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #33,456 of 45,723
Mar 5, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #33,457 of 45,723
Yes. Like I wrote, J is more refined sounding. Bass in not as loose as CA. More detailed and defined and you can hear more fine nuances in the music. Sub digs deeper and mids are not over done like CA. I think J is the best all rounder. And this is coming form a person who loves bass. I get enough clean and pounding bass from J when it needs to be. E was a total disaster for me. Bass was severely lacking and mids were very thin sounding.
Ditto. The bass from J is well done, bass done right. Clean attacks, yet pounding and deep digging

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #33,458 of 45,723
A number of modded fw taking bits of tuning from 1A, 1Z and DMP to create different/better sound
Ahh, ok, I see now. Thanks guys!

It's nice that Walkman users have something to play with, but I hope that the same people who are going crazy about "FW improvements" are not afraid to use an EQ as well, or some of the other DSP options officially supported by the Walkman software.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #33,459 of 45,723
So just check the engraving/label on the side of your device for reference.

My post has a spoiler describing these above.
Something puzzles me :
My WM1Z has "E, Aus, Je" label. I presumed the E was for Europe ?
My newly bought WM1A, bought in the same store in France, has "AEP, UK" engraving...
Also Europe ?

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #33,460 of 45,723
Something puzzles me :
My WM1Z has "E, Aus, Je" label. I presumed the E was for Europe ?
My newly bought WM1A, bought in the same store in France, has "AEP, UK" engraving...
Also Europe ?

E is not Europe, E is Japanese Tourist as I recall (originally I also thought it was Europe)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #33,461 of 45,723
The Venus is not yet out, right?
almost done. I need to rest for a while then compile them and upload.
These are very tiresome to cook, and we have been working nonstop behind the doors. I am surprised that with many tiers and flavors differences, you are still awaiting for more.....I never seen a bowl of candies presenting to a kid but he says he would wait for another bowl because he heard the second bowl is coming :wink:

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #33,462 of 45,723
These are very tiresome to cook, and we have been working nonstop behind the doors. I am surprised that with many tiers and flavors differences, you are still awaiting for more.....I never seen a bowl of candies presenting to a kid but he says he would wait for another bowl because he heard the second bowl is coming :wink:
I wanna try them all :o2smile::ksc75smile:

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #33,463 of 45,723

Agree the bass is more detailed, when listening nuances in the music are ever more present with J, very nice. CA after some deliberation is big and bouncy, mid bass is elevated, fun to listen, yet staging and separation are off a touch, elevated mid bass can and does spill over. What impresses most with J is the overall control, detailed presentation and sub bass, literally palpable nor at high volume.

E was ok on the ZX300, wow on the WM1A, don't think I got past a few seconds of a handful of tracks and was reaching for the USB cable :laughing: A, the WM1A is simply more resolving and B, too few hours on the clock, although that's remedying itself nicely :relaxed: More I'm listening to J the more I like it, is more harmonious & musical.

Supertramp - Crime of the Century - HR, FLAC, khz/24 bit
600x600bb.jpg
Don't think I've ever heard the album sound better on a portable

Danzig 1988
600x600bb.jpg
She Rides - textured bass and cymbal strikes with fabulous decay that J brings out so beautifully

Q-6

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #33,464 of 45,723
so guys help me out on this rockbox thing

so i connected my wm1a , it shows walkman as folder F

i edited the bat file by changing V for F

i run the bat file and all it let me do is press any kew 3 times

and then the command line closed

i rerun the bat file and it shows on the black command line

destination J (0)
sound pressure o (off)

am i good ?

does this mean that it's done ?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #33,465 of 45,723
Having not read through all 2K+ pages of the thread for those that are interested and or concerned switching region from CN, E, CA & J Sony's own BT remote controller RMT-NWS20 has not been an issue. Personally I use the BT remote a lot with both WM1A & ZX300, especially when travelling.

Rockbox.org rather alludes that the remote is only compatible with specific regions, from my experience with both a WM1A purchased in China and a ZX300 purchased in the Philippines flipping regions has no negative effect. I know it's a small thing, equally if you have and use the BT remote you'll definitely not want to loose that feature.

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back